Put away my Samsung S8

lcpiper

[H]F Junkie
I turned it off, pulled the SIM and dropped it into my old Motorola Droid Turbo.

I just wish I had seen that glass piece of shit for what it really is before I swiped my card for it.

BTW: When I was using my Droid Turbo, before I bought the S8, my wife and kids always complained that I had a bad connection. It was dropping calls, etc. So I decided the phone was dying and I needed to replace it so I bought the S8. Within just a day or so I am on a call with my daughter and she says my connection is bad and I am like "WTF !".

So I dig around and I discover my phone is doing wifi calling when I'm home. So I turn that off in the Advanced Calling settings and like magic, no more bad connections.

Then I start thinking, I wonder if Verizon pushed an updated that added Wifi calling and it was ON by default. I checked it out and it was on. The assholes pushed WiFi Calling knowing it would cause problems for many people and they would think their phone was going bad.

Last edited:
So, if I send you a shipping address and pay shipping, you'll send the S8 my way today or tomorrow, right? Right? :D

I know we've had disagreements in the past, but I wouldn't wish this money pit on my worst enemy :sneaky:

Then I start thinking, I wonder if Verizon pushed an updated that added Wifi calling and it was ON by default. I checked it out and it was on. The assholes pushed WiFi Calling knowing it would cause problems for many people and they would think their phone was going bad.

They pushed it because if you're making wifi calls on your own network, you're not using their airtime. They'd sell it as "better connection and more reliable", but it's pure cost-savings to them. I doubt they wanted people to think their phones were failing, since that just leads to warranty replacements their service centers have to process.

They pushed it because if you're making wifi calls on your own network, you're not using their airtime. They'd sell it as "better connection and more reliable", but it's pure cost-savings to them. I doubt they wanted people to think their phones were failing, since that just leads to warranty replacements their service centers have to process.

I know you are right about the provider wanting to offload the bandwidth usage to the ISPs, I had that angle figured as well.

But many people don't keep warranties on their phones, although the phones getting more expensive is creating greater demand for them. But who isn't sitt5ing at the end of their 2 year stretch with an older phone and not at least getting interested in the new phones and wondering which one they will want to get when it comes time to finally do what they know they'll have to do someday.

I know we've had disagreements in the past, but I wouldn't wish this money pit on my worst enemy :sneaky:

You thought those were disagreements? Hrmmm...

Anyway, the offer stands, as time passes there will be (and probably already are) custom ROMs that will alleviate issues, I can always use a decent newer smartphone as I tend to only deal with older ones and that one is already getting long in the tooth as the saying goes. ;)

I know you are right about the provider wanting to offload the bandwidth usage to the ISPs, I had that angle figured as well.

But many people don't keep warranties on their phones, although the phones getting more expensive is creating greater demand for them. But who isn't sitt5ing at the end of their 2 year stretch with an older phone and not at least getting interested in the new phones and wondering which one they will want to get when it comes time to finally do what they know they'll have to do someday.

I'd disagree with that second point...A huge chunk of their market is people using the lease-style upgrade programs these days, which usually has the phone covered by warranty the entire time. But honestly, who knows what the hell these chuckle-heads are thinking most of the time.

Except back in the day the bastards didnt give you free air time if you used Wifi calling, the benefit was purely theirs. I get it, its a nice to have feature when there's no reception or if you are outside the country with wifi available, but if I am local and im not using your tower, I would have liked to be compensated. it doesnt matter any more obviously with unlimited everything, but back then it would have really made a difference.

My 2 cents.

Except back in the day the bastards didnt give you free air time if you used Wifi calling, the benefit was purely theirs. I get it, its a nice to have feature when there's no reception or if you are outside the country with wifi available, but if I am local and im not using your tower, I would have liked to be compensated. it doesnt matter any more obviously with unlimited everything, but back then it would have really made a difference.

My 2 cents.

I've had AT&T and Verizon off to put a "free" 4G microcell in my house, so I can use my own internet bandwidth (which I pay for) to make calls under their calling plan (which I also pay for). How generous of them!

Back to the phone... I got my S8 for free. I never would have paid for it. Frankly, I was VERY happy with my S7, but I definitely would have gone with a budget-friendly (and perfectly capable) device like the Moto G5 Plus, OnePlus 5, Alcatel idol 5s, etc. There's no way this fragile thing is worth $850

Just a heads up; Verizon isn't the only carrier who pushes WiFi calling. Not sure if it's a Samsung or Verizon thing, but my last 3 Tmobile/Samsung phones had WiFi calling set to 'preferred' by default.

But honestly, it's incredibly easy to notice and turn off, so it didn't bother me.

Tmobile does that for every phone now. I shut it off right after I uninstall/disable all the crap they throw on the phone.

never used this wifi calling feature but i use a google voip phone number quite a bit, works great. Dont see why wifi calling wouldnt work good unless perhaps you have a crappy slow internet connection.

I have a 50mb up/down connection, AND T-Mobile's router which shapes traffic for wifi calling. Still blows.

Back