Pushing XP SP2

bignasty

Limp Gawd
Ok, We are doing a test of a good way to push out SP2 on a network of about 300 computers, we are gonna try and push it with managed softare with AD and GPO, we have started the install over a 10mbit hub connection on a laptop that is a celeron 800 with 128 mb of ram, it started at 6:38... Anybody else have ideas on how to push it out, SUS is not an option as it would go to all machines at once...

ok, it finished installing, took approx. 50 minutes to complete, once it was done it restarted, looks like this is not going to work...

edit: with restart it took approx 1hr....

hmm, I don't know how, but our IT department does all our the updates thru their server in their Dallas office over our T1 line. I will email a friend there and ask him the basics of doing it.

I think it all has to do with the clients being pointed to a different server than Microsoft's server and then you load up what updates you want on your server for the clients and then set the clients Windows Updates automaticaly.

we are running SUS but the problem is we are still 10 mbit hub on the majority of our network, i would say that 99% of our workstations are on baystack 102s, pushing sp2 over network and it taking 1 hr to install is just not feasable spicially on a work day, we are looking at options of doing it after everyone is gone one day or over a weekend...

At night is when it happens for us. We have over 140 locations in just North America alone with approximatetly 3000 clients to update so, they send the updates to the local servers at each location and from then it happens at night or when the PC is turned back on. We are supposed to leave them on 24/7, but some people just don't listen. :D

I will try to get some info tomorrow and post back here. Wether or not I hear anything, I'll post to let you know.

Keep this in mind, I know so little about this, I am not even dangerous :D

Use XPSP2 MSI and do a sceduled install at night. Same as installing any other application with global policy.

We are leaning twoards this option using the msi and GPO, i think it may be how we push out, we have a SUS server but that option if not going to work, it would be very weird to have to push it out that way, we have an outdated network so this creates problems, i would be interested to hear how everyone else is handling the rollout of sp2...

We put it up on a server and then realease the hounds (student workers with nothing better to do). :p

Would you guys mind letting me know how it goes installing SP2 to so many people? I've read so many bad things about SP2 that I definately don't want to push it out to everyone at my company. Actually, I suggest you guys rethink doing it :D. But if you do go ahead and do it, please let me know how it goes!

Thanks! :cool:

bignasty said:
We are leaning twoards this option using the msi and GPO, i think it may be how we push out, we have a SUS server but that option if not going to work, it would be very weird to have to push it out that way, we have an outdated network so this creates problems, i would be interested to hear how everyone else is handling the rollout of sp2...

I don't really see why the SUS server wouldn't work. In any case, you're going to have to get the full set of files to every computer - and that's probably going to be by copying them across the network. Just set up everyone's group policy to check for SUS updates at, say, 2AM - and then approve SP2 on the SUS server. That way, it'll kick off overnight and download & install the update to everyone.

And I'd very highly recommend updating your network. 10mbit hubs in this day and age on a large/large-ish network makes any task painful.

Direwolf20 said:
Would you guys mind letting me know how it goes installing SP2 to so many people? I've read so many bad things about SP2 that I definately don't want to push it out to everyone at my company. Actually, I suggest you guys rethink doing it :D. But if you do go ahead and do it, please let me know how it goes!

Thanks! :cool:

What kind of bad things have you heard? I'm reading through this list on MSFT's website - displaying lots of reasons to upgrade across your network to SP2. I've so far installed on about 10 workstations and laptops - out of a good 300+ - and haven't experienced any problems. Now making plans to push it globally to the other computers.

upgrading is just not an option, we are set up on a bid list and it would cost upwards of 60k to replace everything plus one building would have to be rewired.... that would not be fun

i think we are gonna move to SUS and let it handle everything, it will take awhile but its the best option, i am pushing it via GPO tonight to a smaller organization and i will let everyone know how that works...

Just be careful man, reading these forums seems to me that XP SP2 is about 50/50 in terms of "Its great" versus "It hosed my box".

Just for those of you who don't want to roll out SP2 to your enterprise yet, MSFT has released this set of tools to let you block a user from getting SP2 through Automatic Updates or Windows Update.

Just a simple batch script (or perl script, etc.) to run through your list of computers and add the appropriate registry keys to block SP2 installation.

Back