Pushing my A64 4000 Further

Solar

Limp Gawd
Here are the specs:
Processor: Athlon 64 4000 San Diego (KAB2E 0544)
Cooling: Zalman CNPS 7000B CU Led
Memory: OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum (Rated for and run at 2-3-2-5)
Motherboard: Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS (Bios Date 6/28/06)
Video: eVGA Geforce7900GT KO 256mb
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 430
Case: Antec SOHO 1030 (looking at an SG-01e)

I've read quite a few OC guides (xtremesystems, here, and a few more ), but I know I still stand to learn a few things. I haven't seen many other with my stepping. I with a voltage bump of .4v I can get to 2.7ghz. Load temps are at about 41~45c while it idles at 30-36c. I am using AS 5. My board's FSB is good up to about 310, I stopped testing after taht because I knew I would never go that high. I primed it for 6 hours and it passed. Air flow isn't the best in my case as is evidenced by a drop in my idle temp when I take off the side pannel of my case (the load temp maxes out around 43 then). And I think my 7900, when gaming at least, isn't helping the sitsuation either, I'm also looking to get a VF-900 for this bad boy.

For the record when I overclock, I run my memory at a 166 divider putting it's speed at 180mhz with 2.6v (warranted up to 2.8). And I have my HT lowerd to 4x giving me a 900mhz HT speed. PCI & PCI-E are locked.

Two questions:

First: When I try to push the processor above 2.7 It'll randomly lock up in windows. Is that the processor telling me it's limit or to give it more juice? Or is that the memory is complaining? Or is it something else? I've never received a blue screen (*knocks on wood) as a result of overclockinging, just lock-ups. Is that normal?

Second: What is the temperature of my core? I know it's a silly question but I'm getting two readings. From NVidia Monitor View, Speed Fan (Temp1) and Super Step, I get max core temps of about 41-45. However, in Speed Fan there's another temperature sensor called 'Core' which reports temps that can vary from the 'Temp1' by as much a 10 :)eek:!!) degrees warmer when in a load sitsuation. It's weird though, because in an idle sitsuation the temps will only differ by about 1 or 2 degrees (Core still being warmer). Looking at the temps in a Speed Fan temp chart is like looking at a mirror image of two graphed lines, one being higher than the other. This same "higher" temp is also read in Core Temp Beta 0.93. On a side note, my BIOS will report 1.5v startup voltage and a core temp of 41c when overclocked and 1.45v and 40c when not. So now I'm confused as I'm getting conflicting reports as to the temp of my chip under a load sitsuation. There's a big difference between 42c and 53c in determing if you have more headroom or need to buy a better cooler. I did some research and appearantly the 'Core' reading the actuall temp reading from a diode on my core. <-- Is that correct? And if it is should I be concerned (ie look to buy something better than a 7000B for overclocking) and disregard my other temp readings?

An answer to both of these question would be very helpful in trying to understand what's going on with my computer.

1) Your temps are okay. increase voltage and find out

2) I wasn't aware cpus had diodes *inside* of them physically, just on/underneath the socket. You're sure its not your NB temp?

thrawn86 said:
2) I wasn't aware cpus had diodes *inside* of them physically, just on/underneath the socket. You're sure its not your NB temp?

CPUs have had thermal diodes in them for awhile now... since the Athlon XP days for the AMD side. Still not too many utilities out there that will actually read them though. CoreTemp and NxSensor do.

so my core temps are fine at a 53c load?

and where should I look to max out my voltage, 1.55?

Back