Purpose of Norton Partition Magic?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
if you can partition your hd when you install windows.....whats the point of software such as norton partition magic?

Well Partition Magic has been around since before you could partition with Windows. Partition Magic will let you partition even if you a different OS you want to use (Windows isn't the only OS out there). And Partition Magic has a lot of capabilities (such as repartitioning a drive without losing the information on it) that I'm not sure the built-in Windows partitioner has.

Also Partition Magic will allow you to partition your hard drive even after an OS is installed. Last year I got it and partitioned my 40GB into a Windows drive and the rest for files. It worked perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

Yeah the whole idea with PM is to resize/move/delete/create partitions even if you have data on the drive or the partition in question. I will, for example, use Partition Magic in a few days after I get my new 320gb disk to resize the two partitions on my existing drive.

if only i had known about this program a few years ago...ignorance sucks i tell ya...

i havent used PM yet, as i havent seen the need for it...but i know i would be good to have on hand for any "emergencies".

question for you guys...do you think theres any reasonable chance of screwing up your system by useing PM? is there some sort of "recovery point" for it? or no.

Well naturally there are risks, but PM's success rate is virtually perfect. Think of it as surgery for your hard drive. Even procedures performed thousands of times are still risky.

I just used it to repartition my windows system because I hadn't left enough room for D: and too much on C:. It took awhile but it worked (I was getting worried when it was reporting 1,400 hours left).

how long does it take? i will be doing this tomorrow. 1st timer, hope it goes well. Is there anything i should do/know before doing this?

Back