Purported Google Pixel 3 XL Leaks in “Clearly White”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
New alleged photos of the Pixel 3 XL suggest the third iteration of Google’s flagship handset will not be much of a departure from last year’s model. To the dismay of many, however, it looks to feature a large notch influenced by the iPhone X. A “Pixel Stand” peripheral has also been leaked, which may serve as a wireless charging dock.

Hardware-wise, everything checks out as well. The logo that Google often uses for engineering units is visible on the back, as are the barcodes and identifying stickers. Unfortunately, the huge notch looks to be concrete at this point, though it's probably necessary to house the dual front-facing cameras.

I'm curious if they'll offer the Pixel trade-in plan again. I like the larger screen, but I'm not about to pay full price for what should be a fairly mild upgrade over the Pixel 2.

Seriously, what's with the fucking notch bullshit?

The notch is because they want to be like Apple, and sell large numbers of a high-margin phone, but for some retarded reason they don't realize that it isn't the physical design in and of itself that makes Apple sell well. The thing I find the most absurd about Android phone makers mindlessly copying Apple's questionable design ideas (Notch, no headphone jack, no microSD card slot, and so on) is that the most successful Android flagships, Samsung's Galaxy S line, is the phone that doesn't do these things; granted Samsung has their own questionable ideas, like those silly curved-edged screens they use now, but at least they are different from everyone else. These phone makers need to realize that people buy Apple phones despite these courageous features, not because of them.

There are several reasons why Apple phones are so popular. The first is brand image; some people buy Apple simply because of the logo, just like with Coach handbags and Rolex watches. The second is that once you buy an Apple phone, you get sort of stuck in the iTunes ecosystem, and would need to rebuy if you switched. And if your friends have iPhones, god forbid if your message bubbles are the wrong color. And a third reason is that Apple has a bunch of retail stores, where they can easily get help if something goes wrong with their phones. Any phone maker wanting to compete with Apple needs to copy these things, not the phone itself, if it wants to cut into Apples high-margin, high-volume market. Samsung has done the best at that, with extensive ad campaigns and setting up all those Samsung stores inside of Best Buys, and so on.

That's a hard pass for me. Luckily, my pixel XL has been the longest lasting phone I've ever owned. I'm honestly about ready to give up on Android. I liked it more than iOS because it had so much more functionality and options. Each year the functionality and options diminish. It's getting really hard to justify an Android flagship over an iPhone.

Now if Samsung would make a phone without knox and let us easily install alternate ROMS again, have replaceable batteries, headphone jack, and microSD, I'd pay more than an iphone for that.

Jesus Christ, that notch. Surprised they didn't just go all the way with the screen at the bottom. Really drive home the point. Would've looked better anyways. What's the point of leaving space at the bottom and having a notch?

I don't know why Google doesn't just have an agreement to sell iPhones at this point. Hell, the iPhones get better software support for Google software than Android phones.

Notch doesn't bother me...but I can't see why if companies like Vivo and Oppo can have pop up cameras to help get of of the notch...why can't Google do it

I don't mind the notch. It's essentially just a tiny more screen real estate rather than having a bezel. What I don't like is that it's a blatant Apple knock off. The Pixel should be better than that.

I'm doing great with my 2XL. Only feature that would get me to upgrade is an on-screen fingerprint scanner. Maybe we'll see it in 2019.

Seriously, why are people whining about a notch?

Because it looks dumb and doesn't serve a purpose that a normal bezel wouldn't.

No one asked before the notch "hey why don't we have notches?", wonder why that is?

Also opinion.

Can someone explain exactly what is wrong w/ a notch? Think of it in inverted terms, they are using available space on the sides. Otherwise it would be completely wasted space that was black, doing nothing. I still don't understand the problem. I like using up space and not letting it go to waste... but I'm sure someone will correct me. :p

Having said all of that, I can't wait to leave the Apple ecosystem. Next phone will be this one, and I'm trading my Apple 4k TV for a Roku Ultra and will eventually give away my 2013 iMac (already have a powerful gaming PC). I really do hate evil Apple right now.

Look hideous. It will probably be a great phone though. I had the "chin" and the "notch" on my Essential Phone and I didn't like it. Also, single camera only. Google needs to get with the times. A lot of the new phones coming out are going to have three rear cameras.

Can someone explain exactly what is wrong w/ a notch? Think of it in inverted terms, they are using available space on the sides. Otherwise it would be completely wasted space that was black, doing nothing. I still don't understand the problem. I like using up space and not letting it go to waste... but I'm sure someone will correct me. :p

Having said all of that, I can't wait to leave the Apple ecosystem. Next phone will be this one, and I'm trading my Apple 4k TV for a Roku Ultra and will eventually give away my 2013 iMac (already have a powerful gaming PC). I really do hate evil Apple right now.

EXACTLY! The only thing a phone with out a notch does is waste physical space at the top and bottom, makes the phone physically bigger well not providing any more usable space.

Get an Nvidia Shield TV instead of the Roku. I returned my Roku Ultra in favor of the Shield and am a much happier cord cutter.

It’s the internet, if it’s different or popular it WILL be bitched about.

It’s the internet, if it’s different or popular it WILL be bitched about.

Yep, we can't seem to think it looks fucking stupid. Nope, gotta hate because we just wanna hate despite it being pointless and LOOKS FUCKING STUPID.

Typical "someone doesn't like it so they're a hater because I like it!" type mentality. Seems logical.

Yep, we can't seem to think it looks fucking stupid. Nope, gotta hate because we just wanna hate despite it being pointless and LOOKS FUCKING STUPID.

Typical "someone doesn't like it so they're a hater because I like it!" type mentality. Seems logical.
Yup, I was right.

Looks like a cell phone. Notch is fine. No notch is fine.

How well does the hotspot work?

Yup, I was right.

No, you aren't. Being an egotistical smart-ass doesn't make you right. It does make you not understand choice and opinions apparently...

Go ahead and respond back and prove me right

Back