Pure UNIX and how to get it as well is it legacy and if so what's happened to it?

Yep heard that plenty of times too and listening, but time is an issue.

You're like a guy who wants to be a master craftsman who gets advice, then tries to build a violin as his first practice job and then yell at people because the end result is a crude block of wood instead of a stradivarius. You can't rush things that are at the level of complication such as kernel coding. It takes years to master, literally. Just that one thing - not to mention the hundred other projects you have.

Reactions: tbg
like this
Just a little heads up about in regards to the original Linux kernel shown below that I'm looking at now considering I can't find a kernel.asm file if their should be one, since all I can find is a kernel.h file that I know is just a C programming language file it contains the following and keep in might this code came from a file on winworldpc.com too:

a/*
* 'kernel.h' contains some often-used function prototypes etc
*/
void verify_area(void * addr,int count);
volatile void panic(const char * str);
int printf(const char * fmt, ...);
int printk(const char * fmt, ...);
int tty_write(unsigned ch,char * buf,int count);

Now if only I could see what at least one of the original UNIX kernel files looked, like to get an idea of what it was like and more as well as to figure out why it actually was good choice for Linus including why he actually choose to make the Linux kernel monolithic.

I also want to point out that the closest thing I could kind to kernel.c was this as well and when I wrote my kernel using borrowed code from alahandro's kernel 101 and 201 guides their were at least three files to start with for kernel 101 being kernel.asm, kernel.c, and link.ld. The kernel.asm is the kernel assembly programming language file, the kernel.c is the C programming language file that makes it portable or whatever as well as calls from the kernel.asm, and the link.ld script is used to link the kernel.asm and kernel.c together when ran I think according to the kernel 101 guide if not kernel 201 guide too. However, the vmlinuz.bz.zip or whatever that I got off winworldpc.com only had the kernel.h file, which is not the same and is not needed at first according to the kernel 101 and kernel 201 guides until later when making keyboard and eventuallly the shell or more after.

You're like a guy who wants to be a master craftsman who gets advice, then tries to build a violin as his first practice job and then yell at people because the end result is a crude block of wood instead of a stradivarius. You can't rush things that are at the level of complication such as kernel coding. It takes years to master, literally. Just that one thing - not to mention the hundred other projects you have.

Ok if you say so.

I know about sudo su, but didn't think it was for that purpose and the solution I found was to clone the root user in command line that once again Apple Care told me how to do the easy way in the GUI for my Mac Computers.

What did you think was the purpose of sudo su then?

Running as root is a really, really bad idea.

What did you think was the purpose of sudo su then?

Running as root is a really, really bad idea.

Exactly, that's why you elevate to root from a standard user, which you have to clone the root or add a user as a root user to give them command line root access to their own system if their are multiple people who own the same computer and if they don't mind have you as a root user on it as well especially if your family and maintain their computers because they don't know exactly what their doing yet or enough and need your help. I know though that usually you're not supposed to let anyone else be root or administrator on your computer for security purposes.

Exactly, that's why you elevate to root from a standard user, which you have to clone the root or add a user as a root user to give them command line root access to their own system if their are multiple people who own the same computer and if they don't mind have you as a root user on it as well especially if your family and maintain their computers because they don't know exactly what their doing yet or enough and need your help. I know though that usually you're not supposed to let anyone else be root or administrator on your computer for security purposes.

You don't need to clone anything, just add the user to the sudoers group. And you shouldn't make your kids administrators.

You don't need to clone anything, just add the user to the sudoers group. And you shouldn't make your kids administrators.

I know not to make kid administrators unless they can be on a toy computer such as a raspberry Pi and according to GNU and stallmann their should be no passwords regardless of if GNU could break the password securiity though, which howing some security is better than none until user accounts are added to the computer to enable other users. Windows had no security before the year 2000 and it was even more of a disaster than what it is now, so stallman and gnu should know this. GNU's contributions to an available alternative OS with a price I can work with at the time is welcome though.

I don't believe Stallman still believes security and user privileges are not necessary. He was foolish and idealistic back then.

The moment computer systems came out of universities and landed in the hands of idiots, he must have seen the error of his ways.

You could say that was true and that it was good kids were banned to game consoles to prevent that, which it might have been true as well because I remember my cousin showing me programs hackers could use in just Windows to hack unsecured computers. Therefore, why a home PC the reason is that because people real needs aren't met with a console and that have to be shown what useful and constructive things can be done with a computer if anything beyond what should be done and that people know should including just the basics. It's a disaster in the hands of destructive hackers and kids waiting to happen in the hands of kids who have no idea what they should be doing with them and why kids should be banned from the internet except kids who know and intend to site and give credit for the correct solution to the right thing to do with a computer instead of gaming as well as other forms of inappropriate entertainment that we all will come to know or do know. The internet was a great idea for online shopping of appropriate items that people actually need, but buying online can be a disaster because only shipments of items that can wait actually work. Things people need now can't like food needed immediately for consumption. It was a total nightmare in reality to deal with people just can't rely on this stuff to work when they don't know what their doing and even adults can stuggle with it too. if you have to do things the old fashioned way by hand or whatever and it works for you then you keep doing it because that way works fine for you.

There are so many explanation as to why we use AC instead of DC electricity when we do it's because if we would have used DC instead of AC for home electricity we would have needed substations closer to home than we did with AC. AC for me has alot of mysterys to it in my mind and un answered questions that all this is getting off topic and probably or definitely thread capping with and that is what is or was the real reason for surges and spikes besides power loss in areas of the country that happened due to possible over consumption of electricity and the nightmare of managing a electrical meter yourself if you didn't or never learned to correctly and/or forgot because of how horrible we can treat each other. That is also becoming like a thesis as many things I've said or am saying here are. If you can think of a better solution you do it and take care in knowing that you are doing the best thing for you and your family because that is fine with me, even if it took me all day to do things that way considering that this everything can happen at once, but can't be done all at once and why multi-tasking doesn't work out so well in reality. If your cooking you have to cook and don't leave or go do something else while it's cooking on the stove or it will burn and you have to turn the fan on above the stove to ventilate that and maybe open a window to cool the room if nothing else.

If it's baking that should be fine because that is a slower process of waiting for it too cook. When someone else is cooking help is appreciated, but to many cook get in the way and spoil the broth when cooking. In reality all the automated appliances can be a disaster waiting to happen is the monitoring system fail or the person can't monitor it themselves. Modern appliances can be nice, but a total disaster in the hands of the wrong person. I noticed that when using a smart watch time was speeding up and everything was all happening at once with almost no passage of time. What a total nightmare that can be I plugged it in to charge anyway just to see if it's still working properly if at all and it is. However, the biggest problem I had with the smartwatch is that it has to many complex menu's and stopping alarms can be more of a problem than with an old fashioned digital watch. However, an analog watch may be completely impractical for setting reminder alarms if you need them. However, at least you won't have the problems that can be had with all digital if the system fails. It might be better if it does too considering all the problems that might come with monitoring it and controlling it or recovering from a disaster. Why worry about it because one day it just might happen? DC was used in original car batteries if not more modern because cars apparently needed electricity now and not later as well as had to charge faster and recharge by using the alternator to recharge them. Sometimes it might be better if we just sat and did nothing about the problem and just let it come to an end instead of try to stop it, but something might not allow that to happen if it does and that might be mean or neglectful too. if not the problem may never actually get fixed because there are alot of rules people don't follow, but basically life might be what some call hell if it's true and no final solution may come from continuing to use all technology especially older technology that just needs to be studied, but never used to connect to the internet because lack of security was definitely a problem if you read what I posted in this reply. I hate to say all this, but it might be or definitely is true in some regards.

If the movie the matrix is true it's not that we keep trying wake up from it, but that we do and return to reality somehow. We want things to change or happen faster to move on to another problem, but sometimes we just add more problems we don't need and I'm just saying that because I'm thinking about it for some reason because I've know I've been told it during my life before. Something has to change about it. if I should just abandon all this and leave it all behind I'm going to have a tough time dealing with that because it was fine when it all seemed to be working together properly if it's not now. This is what maybe happening now and what people are facing. I was told we don't use assembly anymore and didn't know exactly why and had trouble finding an answer quickly as well as in time if it needed to be found because the answer just never came, since I didn't even think to look considering I was to distracted by everything going on around me at once. My brother decided to take on electrical engineering and was a nuclear medicine and x-ray tech, but do it all for himself and the real answer I've found is that one person can't do it all themself as I've been told before many times. If you have time to stop and help other people, if it's worth it do that and don't actually hurt them and tell them to trust in something if not the lord or god, because there has to be some form of trust and it has to start somewhere as I've been told for SSL certificates. I guess this became about life and my experiences, so I moved this to about life post or should if there is one and don't want to move it to general mayhem if I should because as usual I don't need ridiculed I can get enough of that in reality. Positive suggestions or reinforcement is always nice though, but not always given. I'm rambling on sorta to. Some people had a rage against the machine, but I had a rage for it because of how nice it seemed and then all hell broke loose today or recently because of what happened to me a few weeks ago in February around the fifteenth when I had to be away for awhile and leave this all behind and if anyone cares to know message me in private, but I will say this I had trouble keeping food down and I am recently too. I never ran from most problems though I just went on my way like I should when I should.

You could say that was true and that it was good kids were banned to game consoles to prevent that, which it might have been true as well because I remember my cousin showing me programs hackers could use in just Windows to hack unsecured computers. Therefore, why a home PC the reason is that because people real needs aren't met with a console and that have to be shown what useful and constructive things can be done with a computer if anything beyond what should be done and that people know should including just the basics. It's a disaster in the hands of destructive hackers and kids waiting to happen in the hands of kids who have no idea what they should be doing with them and why kids should be banned from the internet except kids who know and intend to site and give credit for the correct solution to the right thing to do with a computer instead of gaming as well as other forms of inappropriate entertainment that we all will come to know or do know. The internet was a great idea for online shopping of appropriate items that people actually need, but buying online can be a disaster because only shipments of items that can wait actually work. Things people need now can't like food needed immediately for consumption. It was a total nightmare in reality to deal with people just can't rely on this stuff to work when they don't know what their doing and even adults can stuggle with it too. if you have to do things the old fashioned way by hand or whatever and it works for you then you keep doing it because that way works fine for you.

There are so many explanation as to why we use AC instead of DC electricity when we do it's because if we would have used DC instead of AC for home electricity we would have needed substations closer to home than we did with AC. AC for me has alot of mysterys to it in my mind and un answered questions that all this is getting off topic and probably or definitely thread capping with and that is what is or was the real reason for surges and spikes besides power loss in areas of the country that happened due to possible over consumption of electricity and the nightmare of managing a electrical meter yourself if you didn't or never learned to correctly and/or forgot because of how horrible we can treat each other. That is also becoming like a thesis as many things I've said or am saying here are. If you can think of a better solution you do it and take care in knowing that you are doing the best thing for you and your family because that is fine with me, even if it took me all day to do things that way considering that this everything can happen at once, but can't be done all at once and why multi-tasking doesn't work out so well in reality. If your cooking you have to cook and don't leave or go do something else while it's cooking on the stove or it will burn and you have to turn the fan on above the stove to ventilate that and maybe open a window to cool the room if nothing else.

If it's baking that should be fine because that is a slower process of waiting for it too cook. When someone else is cooking help is appreciated, but to many cook get in the way and spoil the broth when cooking. In reality all the automated appliances can be a disaster waiting to happen is the monitoring system fail or the person can't monitor it themselves. Modern appliances can be nice, but a total disaster in the hands of the wrong person. I noticed that when using a smart watch time was speeding up and everything was all happening at once with almost no passage of time. What a total nightmare that can be I plugged it in to charge anyway just to see if it's still working properly if at all and it is. However, the biggest problem I had with the smartwatch is that it has to many complex menu's and stopping alarms can be more of a problem than with an old fashioned digital watch. However, an analog watch may be completely impractical for setting reminder alarms if you need them. However, at least you won't have the problems that can be had with all digital if the system fails. It might be better if it does too considering all the problems that might come with monitoring it and controlling it or recovering from a disaster. Why worry about it because one day it just might happen? DC was used in original car batteries if not more modern because cars apparently needed electricity now and not later as well as had to charge faster and recharge by using the alternator to recharge them. Sometimes it might be better if we just sat and did nothing about the problem and just let it come to an end instead of try to stop it, but something might not allow that to happen if it does and that might be mean or neglectful too. if not the problem may never actually get fixed because there are alot of rules people don't follow, but basically life might be what some call hell if it's true and no final solution may come from continuing to use all technology especially older technology that just needs to be studied, but never used to connect to the internet because lack of security was definitely a problem if you read what I posted in this reply. I hate to say all this, but it might be or definitely is true in some regards.

If the movie the matrix is true it's not that we keep trying wake up from it, but that we do and return to reality somehow. We want things to change or happen faster to move on to another problem, but sometimes we just add more problems we don't need and I'm just saying that because I'm thinking about it for some reason because I've know I've been told it during my life before. Something has to change about it. if I should just abandon all this and leave it all behind I'm going to have a tough time dealing with that because it was fine when it all seemed to be working together properly if it's not now. This is what maybe happening now and what people are facing. I was told we don't use assembly anymore and didn't know exactly why and had trouble finding an answer quickly as well as in time if it needed to be found because the answer just never came, since I didn't even think to look considering I was to distracted by everything going on around me at once. My brother decided to take on electrical engineering and was a nuclear medicine and x-ray tech, but do it all for himself and the real answer I've found is that one person can't do it all themself as I've been told before many times. If you have time to stop and help other people, if it's worth it do that and don't actually hurt them and tell them to trust in something if not the lord or god, because there has to be some form of trust and it has to start somewhere as I've been told for SSL certificates. I guess this became about life and my experiences, so I moved this to about life post or should if there is one and don't want to move it to general mayhem if I should because as usual I don't need ridiculed I can get enough of that in reality. Positive suggestions or reinforcement is always nice though, but not always given. I'm rambling on sorta to. Some people had a rage against the machine, but I had a rage for it because of how nice it seemed and then all hell broke loose today or recently because of what happened to me a few weeks ago in February around the fifteenth when I had to be away for awhile and leave this all behind and if anyone cares to know message me in private, but I will say this I had trouble keeping food down and I am recently too. I never ran from most problems though I just went on my way like I should when I should.

The adult enternment industry or some hacker caused alot of problems for me when using a computer too, like just plain data corruption that was breaking the system and making it not work. The best solution that worked for me was Anti-virus Live Linux and if necessary the last resort although not perfect because it wouldn't tell me exactly what files were corrupted or that it found was AOSS by Symantec as to why I don't know because I haven't got around to looking at it.

Actually my whole problem with UNIX System V is that there are no commands already made, so when I type the command they don't do anything except give a bunch of complicated output that you saw it the second picture of the last post about the pictures showing it run in a virtual machine that as far down as I know how to go except down to binary with the Non-printable ascii character chart I made to show how to convert all the binary to decimal and many other conversions for other possible useful purposes, such as Octel, Hexadecimal for conversion to ACSII, which tells the reader or user how to read or use it in English letters. There maybe other forms of letters that tell the user how to read the file code in other langauges that exit.

Last edited:
I gave this long speal about why we shouldn't use the computer system, but I'm still using it driven to make it work not for it's simplicity, but for the ability to get the work done.

Actually my whole problem with UNIX System V is that there are no commands already made, so when I type the command they don't do anything except give a bunch of complicated output that you saw it the second picture of the last post about the pictures showing it run in a virtual machine that as far down as I know how to go except down to binary with the Non-printable ascii character chart I made to show how to convert all the binary to decimal and many other conversions for other possible useful purposes, such as Octel, Hexadecimal for conversion to ACSII, which tells the reader or user how to read or use it in English letters. There maybe other forms of letters that tell the user how to read the file code in other langauges that exit.

I disagree. Your problem with any computer system is that you try to master everything and achieve nothing in the end. Try to learn one thing. Focus.

something is wrong with your install, i do not get the garbage characters when i run fdisk in the atnt unix. you don't need to convert anything it just works, did you install all the disks? maybe you are missing something

Total disk size is 260 cylinders

Cylinders
Partition Status Type Start End Length %
========= ====== ======== ===== === ====== ===
1 Active UNIX Sys 0 259 260 100

SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. Create a partition
2. Change Active (Boot from) partition
3. Delete a partition
4. Exit (Update disk configuration and exit)
5. Cancel (Exit without updating disk configuration)
Enter Selection: 5

# uname -a
atnt atnt 4.0 2.1 i386 386/AT

Back