Pure UNIX and how to get it as well is it legacy and if so what's happened to it?

There's no such thing as "true" UNIX, except maybe Research UNIX versions 1 through 7 that all other variants are derived from . It is a philosophy about the design and operation of an OS, and there even exists a certification process to get your OS labelled as a UNIX. MacOS is officially a UNIX (not to be confused with Mac OS from the 90's). System V was just AT&T's commercial implementation of the OS philosophy it created and refined through the development of Research UNIX. They sold the rights and the source code, and SysV lives on (in some form) as UnixWare (here).

The BSDs were another major branch of the implementation of the UNIX philosophy, and are just as much a "true" UNIX as SysV was.

As for why it was so wide-spread, it was the first OS to not be tied to the hardware it came on. It was modular and easily ported to just about anything with a clock and bits. AT&T licensed it to many academic and government organizations, who in turn profoundly influenced how computer technology developed during the 70's and 80's.

Yes, but even if this is true System V is probably the closest I'm ever get to that and I have it, but maybe I'll get to this that was mentioned here. Also, where do I get an Official Unix Certification if not Pearson as usual as I found out especially for Redhat.

Yes as far as Unix goes there were originally only to major sides or whatever System V or UNIX and BSD after tannenbaum did whateve he did to borrow it of Berkley's mainframe as well as create Minix, which I also had trouble with and wanted to know why he thinks an Operating System should use a Micro Kernel and be self-healing as well as whatever else he came up with for Minix. However, I had a very difficult time get it too boot from USB flash and it took up a few or several partitions, which seemed weird if not strange at least to me, which is a topic for another thread probably if I haven't already made one about it or can't talk more about it there.

Yea now that you mention it considering UNIX was programmed in C being a portable programming language code that makes sense that it was modular and easy to port to just about anything. I knew the government probably used it or still does, but I didn't and still don't know for sure. It's seems to me that based on that last part about influence that AT&T has or had a lot of influence on Operating System design more than Multics maybe, but GE or Honeywell may have had more influence at least on the first hardware to if not the manufacturer or what Ritchie and Thompson used to write UNIX in assembly on first and then maybe C. All for the sake of AT&T to create the phone system for a lot of good purposes I hope and the emergency response sytem too maybe, which of course is a good thing as far as we all know and hope.

I finally got logged in to Oracle's site too to download Solaris, but I had to reset my password from the main page and not from the login page. It's downloading, but it's not down yet and will take more time than on my laptop because it's using my other ISP and not my apartment's courtesy ISP on their network that I can't connect to when I use one of these desktop workstations as a server or when I'm using a server OS on, even though I am using Windows 10 on this one now. I don't like downloading on the courtesy internal network either because I had to secure myself from other apartments possibly if not the rest of the internet and it really slows down sometimes from something I haven't figured out yet and I can't set up my own network monitoring on or put a server on especially if it disrupts other peoples internet connection.

I have yet to try System V yet though, so maybe I should considering I have it downloaded now. However, it's almost 6:00 am and I haven't slept tonight yet. I can't decide what media to put it on either, since it was designed for 3.5 floppy disks and I don't have floppies or a floppy disk drive for those size disks in these computers either. However, it should be no problem putting on at least USB flash if not Optical though.

Last edited:
Ok I got UNIX System V extracted to a folder, but how am I supposed to flash or write all these images to a USB flash drive with the WIndows 10 Operating System, even with Win32 disk Imager, because it won't let me glob all the files into one write process with the gui interface by just selecting all the files I want to write by holding shift and using the space bar to select them or the ctrl key and space or my touch pad to select them discontinuously. Here is a pic of the folder and as you can see they are all .img or image files. Do I need more than one flash drive the instructions are extremely vague and just say the following, but how do you boot to an image without writing it to portable media or cloning it back to a hard drive, with something such as the dd command for UNIX that works terrible with Windows because I've tried it and it was an awful experience because I had to install it and it didn't work any like or near as easy as it does in Linux or at least BSD Unix. What native Windows command is equivalent to dd that is easier to use than trying to use dd with Windows considering it doesn't work anything like it does with Linux/UNIX and the following linux is all I could find that pretty much said I need to use Win32 disk imager:

https://superuser.com/questions/839502/windows-equivalent-for-dd

This seems to be the best answer though as to what the Windows equivalent of dd is maybe:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37598040/windows-powershell-command-line-equivalent-of-dd

and it turns out this is the currect and my Windows Command Line book confirms it on pages 6 and 7 because their is not Windows equivalent of the dd command list and I don't think fdisk qualifies. Also, one of those links said it only works with partitions, so here the best answer and not the one before because windows said all the commands in it are unrecognized:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37598040/windows-powershell-command-line-equivalent-of-dd

AT&T UNIX System V Release 4 Version 2.1

I have converted the disk images from the original Teledisk (TD0) format to standard raw images. Boot from base1.img and follow the on-screen instructions to install the base system. Then boot into Unix, and install the additional packages using:

# pkgadd -d diskette1

Enjoy!

LuFOeHZ.png

Last edited:
Why do you bother with an extinct OS?

I already explained and I'm not intending to use it much just find out what it was like exactly as much as I can, but not revive it or anything else so far just test it in a VM or internal live system only. It probably won't be able to or will connect to the internet immediately any way, but I do need better documentation to be sure. I really just want to see what the code might do too or why Linux choose it as well to develop his kernel. But your right is pretty much is an extinct OS and there's not anything I or anyone can do about it because it probably had to be replaced and if not Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson as well as the rest of the UNIX community knows what it should do as well as why and how?

I don't want to change it though, but an entire generation of several or many Operating Systems that were influence probably did end because true UNIX support ended and I know why, but the technology at that time was inspiring and a thing of the past now because it's been long replace with way better technology of course, even if they had SSD's back then that were way preemptive compared to what we have now as well including other technology. SGI did pioneer the graphic features we have in graphics cards we have today too though and many other fork of UNIX influenced other things we have in this time, which might be obvious. However, others may not have been around yet to experience what it was like then, but sometimes things seemed really slow for some reason and the communication system at that time might have been why, but here is my experience of true or the Purest UNIX that is UNIX System V and might be as far as I get if I don't just right one image to the flash drive at a time or multiple flash drives and be done with it or use Linux to do multiple if it can because Windows either can't or isn't making it easy.

and if I'm not mistaken Solaris or what's left of it is only avaiable in 32-bit

You are mistaken. Even the links I posted earlier are 64-bit. Solaris 11 is 64-bit. It will NOT run in a VM unless your hardware is 64-bit.

Another thing about Solaris if I can actually use it without paying for it if I can't because Oracle Linux won't and I can't afford a subscription to an operating system right now not even the previous $100 minimum just for download updates for Oracle Linux

Ummmm Oracle Linux is completely free to download, use and distribute. It most certainly does NOT cost money to update it.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/downloads/index.html
Oracle Download Page said:
Oracle Linux is free to download, use and distribute and is provided in a variety of installation and deployment methods.

Oracle Linux FAQ PDF said:
Q: How do I get updates for Oracle Linux?
A: Oracle provides security updates and bug fixes (errata) for Oracle Linux for free from the Oracle Linux yum server on yum.oracle.com

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/027617.pdf

You are mistaken. Even the links I posted earlier are 64-bit. Solaris 11 is 64-bit. It will NOT run in a VM unless your hardware is 64-bit.

Ummmm Oracle Linux is completely free to download, use and distribute. It most certainly does NOT cost money to update it.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/downloads/index.html

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/027617.pdf

My hardware is 64-bit and I'm getting Solaris if it's done downloading. Oracle Linux might be free to down, and use up to a certain point for a physical installation compared to an Oracle VM, and distrube, but not for a physical installation last time I used it which was 7.x and still the most current implementation because it will ask for a ULN license number and guess what that costed with at least Oracle Linux 5.9 a 5.x implementation that I used for the Oracle Database 10g architecture and administration class I took and passed while doing my midterm project report on just a detailed installation for up to a 12 page report with what ended up being an extremely long detailed appendix, which was $100 minimum for package update to the OS, $500 for one year of support and patch downloads and about $3000 for 3 years or so of every support feature available from Oracle.

Oracle Linux was great just to even do that but it was slow in a VM with only 3 GB of virtual ram that originally only had 1.5 GB assigned to memory, and only 30 GB of virtual hard drive space for an almost bare minimal virtual machine install because I found that more space was needed for the required partitions and swap. That is what I know and experienced when I truly got to use it and not my failed attempt at 7.x because I couldn't afford the ULN license. Oh and by the way just to complete the Oracle database install after having to do that just prepare for it I had to merge the contents of both Oracle discs into one physical folder on the host OS for that machine and burn the files just to one DL-DVD disc because the installer wouldn't switch between discs when it was time to switch discs for the installation of Oracle 11g, since for some reason it didn't know how to and that was no fun either. My attempt at Solaris will have to wait until after the download completes though and maybe later too because i have other things that I need to do now and before that, which messing around with Solaris isn't one of them.

The Question I'm going to wonder is will it let me use the actual Operating System for free unlike Oracle Linux, which I doubt and I hope you know what I mean too, because of the whole Oracle ULN thing for Oracle Linux and if it applies to Solaris.

Last edited:
If you really want something close to modern sys V unix. you should try to dig up some some solaris 8 or 9. modern solaris with smf is a lot different then classic unix with classic init.d script for services.

Is there anyplace where the differences between pure Unix and the 'children' are documented. Maybe IBM or somewhere. This way the Op could read about the differences and decide if its even worth the trouble. If a 'child' just has a few more commands then you could get pure unix by disabling those commands - effectively.

I was under the impression that linux was based on minix but this chart shows them as parallel.

I was under the impression that linux was based on minix but this chart shows them as parallel.
I believe he created linux because he was frustrated by the licenseing terms of minix. he probably started development using his minix system, but i don't think he put any of the actual minux code in linux.

Well whether not in direct regards to this I don't think I can get much further unless I use multiple flash drive anyway because it wouldn't even mount the flash drive I tried to flash multiple .img files to and may need to try using just one per flash drive, but that makes unanthor problem, which is number of usb ports and number of flash drives to boot as well as accomplish this with. Also, yea anyway this OS has got be very premative because it's only about 41 MB's of complete extracted files, but is this really the last Unix System V or where AT&T stopped or is this the last I don't have to pay a fortune to get or purchase as well as use. Think more about this the computers back then probably didn't have RAM in the Megabytes even and probably had it in the kilobytes if not less and that must have been painfully slow too, but on newer hardware if possible or in a VM on newer hardware of with qemu it might run ok if at all, because what about drivers and if I should even complete trying to attempt to run it or if I should just study the code.

If I really wanted to I couldn't probably extract the kernel from one of the images using hexedit and the dd command I think considering I did take UNIX Linux forensics too and it would be really interest to know why Linus really chose a monolithic kernel and to clone the UNIX kernel at least in his first kernel. I'm not that good at Forensics though in my opinion, but I did successfully carve some pictures of sea creatures for a 1 MB corrupt image that used ext2 though and passed the class as well as graduated.

I don't want to do to much poking arond with it, but after all it is just the last System V Operating System that is available from winworld.pc so not much harm in doing that except in possible damaging the files, which I have backups of anyway and at least I'm not doing it on a system I'm not supposed to be doing it on especially someone else that I wouldn't have permission too. It existed, it was popular and now it's dead and it may have been painfully slow to use, which might be an understatement too as well. I don't really want to run it, but I didn't expect the files to be images and not plain readable disk files that would just extract to a folder either and that is what I'm faced with.

but I didn't expect the files to be images and not plain readable disk files that would just extract to a folder either and that is what I'm faced with
cant you open .img files with win zip? Possibly 7zip? Its not a major deal, think of them as iso files and mount them if you want or just extract the contents.

Is there anyplace where the differences between pure Unix and the 'children' are documented. Maybe IBM or somewhere. This way the Op could read about the differences and decide if its even worth the trouble. If a 'child' just has a few more commands then you could get pure unix by disabling those commands - effectively.

LOL a child i'm from the 80's actually, but look young sorta and at least a little ruggid too. I said I vaguely remember seeing this as a child and had no idea it might have been this if not AIX or HP-UX in it's early years, but not the AIX or HP-UX part. I need call HP about HP-UX too though, but that wasn't what I really was seeking though because I thought what I might have seem was this and only knew for sure UNIX was very old considering the project started in the 70's and probably ended when Dennis Ritchie died if not others in the UNIX community or when Linus took over or continued with Linux that I studied it in College and graduated with an Associates Degree in UNIX/Linux Database Administration.

I would like to see some actual documentation though, but I do have book on Unix shell scripting, and Kernighan and Ritchie C if not more. That way I know for sure what it will do and if it will run on Intel systems, which I don't see how now to think of it because didn't they use a PDP-11 though and I don't think that had an intel processor in it did it and if it did it had a very old 8080 or 8086 if not somewhat older, like an 80186 or 80286 and if not I need to look up UNIX or the PDP-11 again, so here's what I found and all I could easy find was that it used a 16-bit processor of some sort with no exact mention of a processsor name if it had one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11

That's all I could find about the processor. AT&T obviously used it to run their phone company then if not now and who knows exactly who else used it for sure besides the obvious ones that forked it for their versions. I don't want or didn't want Solaris and haven't tried it yet, but it didn't work or seem to work last time.

1920px-Unix_history-simple.svg.png

....the history of as seen on wikki

also here are supposed source code links: http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl

This has all the code that seems to require me to copy and paste into a text file if not just save as PDF. Also, If I'm allowed to do either of those things actually, which I do because I can and at least it's not taking or borrowing through a back door of a system for that matter.

Last edited:
By the way there is a backdoor in Stallman's highly endorsed or encourage EMACs might not be his fault in regards to that, but you should read The Cocko's egg to find more about the exploit in EMACs that the author had to patch. EMACS is a strange editor too because supposedly you're supposed to be able to do everything on your system in it without leaving the editor, but you can't just go to the menu and just click file new and that is why I find it strange, but Stallman deserves credit for making parts of UNIX available to us all in someway if not other possibly good things if they were. I really was getting frustrated with only Microsoft Windows as the only somewhat possible choice for a PC Operating System too, but there were other computers that I didn't have then at that time or now either. I mainly stick to Intel, even if I shouldn't.

I only possibly have more interest in Oracle Sparc now and not in AMD because of how they market Athlons and earlier processors they developed, such as the competitors intel 486 and earlier as well as Pentium Overdrive, because performance rating is a total gimick if you ask me because I realized this when I insisted on getting an Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.06 GHz and it had a PR way over AMD althlon XP 3200+ or so at 4100+ or so and Intel doesn't advertised based on PR, which is why AMD is processor company that may have gotten better to me I still shy away from except for a friend who likes them because he believes they are an underdog, but everyone forgets about Cyrix though and I just wasn't satfsied with their chips performance or comparable product in the last days I notice them with the Cyrix M3 'Jalepeno', but if was no where near as good as a Pentium III coppermine with a 256-bit bus or AMD's Athlon Thunderbird because accourding to Toms hardware the M3 only had a 64-bit L2 cache backside bus and performance benchmarks showed it was way slower compared to Intel or AMD at that time and Cyrix lives on in VIA processors that Linus Sabation has done reviews on and laugh at because they are way under supported compared to Intel and AMD as well as slower and using older forms of technology. AMD had better performance with footing point at that time and not memory bandwidth or application performance either, which still might be AMD's only selling point too, but they don't tell customers as much about the technology that's sold now either except Intel sorta especially in terms of processor features being on website archives, which is very helpful and the rest about this was before spectre and meltdown concerns

Last edited:
cant you open .img files with win zip? Possibly 7zip? Its not a major deal, think of them as iso files and mount them if you want or just extract the contents.

Wait what? your telling me I can kinda extract or bust like an ISO, similar to what I tried ISO Bustor to make doing forensics for the UNIX/LINUX Forensics class I took easier, but failed with successfully getting it to do what I wanted because it ended that it wasn't meant for that, even if the file was a binary image or .bin file. How? Are telling me just use 7zip and it's that easy. Ok them, but the Solaris download competed and it says this followed by a screenshot proving at least that either it might not be available in 64-bit or that I picked the wrong file to download because isn't 64-bit for AMD and intel using named as amd64 or X86_64 and not x86, which is 32-bit as follows:

sol-11_3-x86

and the picture:

2ACg5rm.png

LOL a child i'm from the 80's actually, but look young sorta and at least a little ruggid too

LOL. When I stated: 'children' are documented, I meant forks and other Os's that are dependent on the first one. Not children as in a person. Children as in a different flavor/distribution/derivation. Unix , as you well know, has many other operating systems that use it as a starting place to design themselves. Just like a parent has kids, Unix has 'children' that because of it being first, emulate how it gets things done.

Maybe I should have said 'Unix philosophy'. IBM's AIX is currently the most UNIX compatible distro, but you want to experience the real deal. Did you look at the 'source code links'. If you have the time and need, info can be gained there.

I tried that and it didn't work because it should have extracted that contents of the .img files to inside the same forder, but it didn't and here is the error message:

0xNPKT6.png

I guess that wraps up any possible user experience for sure because it won't extract and the flash drive with the attempted multiple .img file extraction or write won't mount at all, even on Linux and I can't show you the error message from the Linux machine because it won't connect to the internet from the Live CD for some reason and here is the screenshot. if AT&T used this to run their phone system though then what did MCI or Sprint that still exists and Verizon use and could I get a job working for them if I knew their systems especially considering I know Cisco too:

o1AHY2T.png

After all this I must say though that I used CentOS though in the past while getting my college degree and it had run levels like UNIX might have, but it's probably wasn't exactly like UNIX and I'll never know for sure yet, but probably shouldn't try to actually run if it I could anyway.

I considered using my Server Ubuntu Installation for a gaming server, but my steam account isn't acting right. Oh and the one that was meant to be the gaming server account apparently got hacked because I can't login to it.

Last edited:
I was able to install a vm in virtualbox with the AT&T sys V R4 2.1 from the winworld download today since this post reminded me about it. Made a vm with 64mb of memory, 128mb hard drive, put other for OS. Used the base 01.img for the virtual floppy, booted up fine. It walks you through installing the rest. Only problem is it does not appear that the tcp/ip stack is included in that download.

I was able to install a vm in virtualbox with the AT&T sys V R4 2.1 from the winworld download today since this post reminded me about it. Made a vm with 64mb of memory, 128mb hard drive, put other for OS. Used the base 01.img for the virtual floppy, booted up fine. It walks you through installing the rest. Only problem is it does not appear that the tcp/ip stack is included in that download.

Ok let me try something similar to that. I wasn't sure how I wanted to run it.

So, BSD (all flavors) is Unix, just the BSD flavor. That may be your best bet. You can try Solaris (very much like SVR4) for the PC if you can get it. HP-UX is Unix (based on SVR2), but expensive. AIX is Unix (based on SVR2), but expensive. There are others still out there, but all also, very expensive. Many wonderful flavors, especially the SVR4 ones died, or are very obscure... and of course, very expensive.

Generally, speaking, you can get an ok feel for Unix with Linux (it's like Unix with a major upgrade) and of course, there's some remnant of BSD-ish behavior under OSX (certainly not Unix, but a BSD feel, plus Apple shenanigans and a weird kernel).

I've ported code to well over 20 Unix and Unix-like variants in my lifetime. I've smelled them all practically.

But with Linux, there's really no need for Unix systems anymore. With that said, there's some fascinating proprietary add-ons available from the majors (IBM AIX, HP HP-UX, and I guess Solaris, but less so, believe it or not). And there's always OSF/1,or maybe a bit more humor, SCO (both flavors).

I don't know, but did system V ever actually convert to 64-bit or higher so if could count the date farther than 2038, like the Computerphile said would be a problem when that date comes and is any actually still using it for anything other than rearching it like I am or anyone else definitely might be.

Last edited:
Thanks I still want to try as well as experience true UNIX if nothing else later. I know Linux is the most healthy continuation of Linux according to Dennis Ritchie himself too. I don't want to go public with whatever I actually finish end up doing with true or pure Unix, but BSD was prevented from doing so in regards to any BSD UNIX by AT&T according to Andrew Tannebaum the creator of Minix, which is the reason any BSD UNIX never took off other than as open source or free type ware or whatever you or anyone else want to consider it.

They are attempting to resurrect Unix from the original prints, You need the SIMH pdp emulator to run it
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix/blob/master/README.md

You may also want to look at http://www.tuhs.org/ as well

I personally have a copy of BSD 2.11 running in SIMH PDP11 emulator and its pretty cool!

https://imgur.com/a/Nri7g

Heres the Grand daddy of them all:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=PDP7-Unix

Last edited:

Sorry tbg, but I'm been having difficulty focusing for whatever reason and maybe because thinking back to how aweful that time period must have been regardless as well as How slow UNIX System V might have actually ran and if I should try to run it at all I really just can get it to run yet anyway. Also, I never did quite understand how to actually disable Microsoft's total control edition Hyper-V if I'm going to try to run it on Windows in a VM I'm disabling Hyper-V as easy as it might just be just to run a VM let alone create one just to run it with another VM player can be such a pain because Microsoft seems to make it that way, but Qemu in Ubuntu might work fine and is just a matter of how well all this will work from a live cd and if it should be done at all because of how old System V is and how I don't exactally have the latest version whatever that is in it's purest form if this isn't it.

All I have to say is that it's about time I finally got my hand on it for at least studying it and thank goodness it was afordable because I know it could have costed $3000 if not more and is or was expensive. Also, I know it was a mainframe Operating System, but what I didn't know or realize is that it had to control a multiple 16-bit processor computer or computers that may have been so slow that it would take so long to get things done with it compared to today computers. Also, just look at those old whatever implementations of mainframe and think about how they had to use tape storage instead of what we have today. I was born in 1980 to just to be exact and was way to young to actually know or experience what it was like using this and don't plan to revive it or if it should at all, but it what a time sharing operating system whatever that means and influenced so many Operating System designs even Windows, which is a completely different or can be a completely different animal all together considering is was a DOS based Operating System all together and that it happens to probably be the first Operating System I probably used was either MS-DOS or Apple DOS and nothing close to UNIX, even though I may have known of it's existance and alwasy kinda desired to find out what that was like and if I would actually like it or want to know. UNIX has some other strange things that come along with it too amoung it's community that I don't know if I can explain or should talk about, such as the church of EMACS or even discuss what I don't know might actually be the true meaning of copy left that Stallman created, but there you go.

Obviously, I couldn't run it on a PDP-11 and why would I that thing is a dinosaur computer compared to today's machines and might have other complicated issues. Also, I would never want to own a mainframe like that because it is a monstrous and ugly machine compared to what I would have had in mind if I still had the influence of more modern systems today and was in charge of designing systems like that, but at least the processor architecture might not suffer from the same problem as intel and amd solutions from that time or more recent that some people say that the creators must have been on drugs while designing or had something wrong with them.

So, BSD (all flavors) is Unix, just the BSD flavor. That may be your best bet. You can try Solaris (very much like SVR4) for the PC if you can get it. HP-UX is Unix (based on SVR2), but expensive. AIX is Unix (based on SVR2), but expensive. There are others still out there, but all also, very expensive. Many wonderful flavors, especially the SVR4 ones died, or are very obscure... and of course, very expensive.

Generally, speaking, you can get an ok feel for Unix with Linux (it's like Unix with a major upgrade) and of course, there's some remnant of BSD-ish behavior under OSX (certainly not Unix, but a BSD feel, plus Apple shenanigans and a weird kernel).

I've ported code to well over 20 Unix and Unix-like variants in my lifetime. I've smelled them all practically.

But with Linux, there's really no need for Unix systems anymore. With that said, there's some fascinating proprietary add-ons available from the majors (IBM AIX, HP HP-UX, and I guess Solaris, but less so, believe it or not). And there's always OSF/1,or maybe a bit more humor, SCO (both flavors).

I know some of all this and maybe it's a necessity too to use a newer flavor as well. I got an OK feel for UNIX with CentOS and with other UNIX forks and Linux distros, but UNIX is and was the grand daddy of them all and if it's the grand daddy then Multics must be the god or whatever, even if neither one of the originals should ever be used anymore though and if they haven't been studied probably should to bring them up to code if necessary. I don't like proprietary that is why I stay away from it or try to. I prefer inlel, even if I shouldn't.

I regards to how many UNIX ports you've helped ported that is amazing considering the complexity of the code that must be faced. I don't really understand why there is no need for UNIX anymore or why I was so fascinated by it except now know how powerful it's code is and how it helped shape modern UNIX's and UNIX-Like OS as well as others.

I know Linux is the like UNIX with a major upgrade because it is the healthiest continuation of UNIX in existence, but I'm just facinated by it, even though I don't want to be a code to have to do anything that complex I hope and it's a good thing I can borrow the code and hopefully it's reliable considering how old it is.

They are attempting to resurrect Unix from the original prints, You need the SIMH pdp emulator to run it
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix/blob/master/README.md

You may also want to look at http://www.tuhs.org/ as well

I personally have a copy of BSD 2.11 running in SIMH PDP11 emulator and its pretty cool!

https://imgur.com/a/Nri7g

Heres the Grand daddy of them all:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=PDP7-Unix

That is interesting, but who would want to resurrect the original PDP whatever unless they needed too because I mean after all UNIX has been ported in someway to modern systems, but maybe not True UNIX System V though, although maybe it has though.

I don't have or want a copy of BSD 2.11 at all and probably wouldn't want that either no offense though it had to be preserved probably and might be cool. It's amazing how it all even survived to be exact.

Minix could be the grand daddy of them all, but even UNIX fork and Linux Distros probably did it better although a Micro Kernel is interesting though and that I've had no success in running Minix.

Thing is though could they make it simplier, even if they have with Linux distros like DSL and Crunchbang probably now archbang.

Last edited:
The UNIX community can scare me at times, but I like their works because it seems to be making my life easier sometimes and it's just so flexible as well as powerful in terms of code. It thought of everything or almost did or does and it inspired everything too, even not as old as other OSes including Multics and it spans for out for so many generations. I don't know if we should start by going back that far considering most of the work has already been done or has it, but True or pure UNIX is a facination of Mine that has stemed for so long and has been left unfulfilled for a long time. Most importantly considering all this is that it gave me an Operating System to use for my computer and computers that Microsoft couldn't or didn't, even though they provided an Operating System for me for so long and did a good job, but everyone targets or hates.

I grew up on console gaming computing and wanted a computer for so long, but just couldn't afford it and wanted to possibly make my contribution to computer too. It is such a complex task and tiring job especially with almost no experience close to some other people who have been doing it for so long. In one sense it is a good thing that there is a back door in EMACS just to keep the hardware in line, because controlling AI can or could be a problem and hopefully we've learned something from that especially from the influence of terminator movies that may take it to far. I got my first experience with computing from friends who allowed me to play games on their computers and in 1997 my dad finally bought an IBM Aptiva with an AMD K6 233 MHz processor. I've evolved with computing just as computing has evolved just not as well as others.

Although not impossible to do in order to ensure that UNIX is preserved if necesary especially to ensure that the issue coming up much later for the end of UNIX time in 2038 is definitely not an issue we could if necessary use an alter 8800 an maybe start or start all over, like bill gates did and hopefully if UNIX is needed it won't be necessary to start all over. I guess that also steemed my fancination and concern for the UNIX/Linux Communitiy and wanting the original UNIX System V. This was never meant to do anything other than just to pursue my original facicnation and concern for UNIX and it's preservation if necessary. Also, if necessary to do what Gates did then there are still Altair 8800 clones available as well, so that something to consider to no matter what I mean.

Last edited:
I think TrueOS may ultimately end up being the true solution and sucesser for the preservation, continuation, and research of the orginal True or Pure UNIX closest to System V though if the preservation of UNIX System V is nessary and needs to be studied especially to ensure my definite concerns for the end of UNIX time that will cause computers to not be able to count passed the date set for it to happen in 2038 according to the Comperphile that also has and did also spark more interest in UNIX as well as the Orginal System V hopefully what the most recent continuation though it has resolved all the problems with the original UNIX System V may have had though and will continue on if necessary if not other computing areas that may have started over to ultimately solve the biggest problem with computing that is not what this is about, but may also need to be address. However, I just don't seem to have much interest in different computing startups for some reason though and it might be because they are so much different and lack what my preferred solutions and what UNIX started for some reason, which is what continues to drive me to this fascination and other computing pursuits. Ultimately if it will need to be addressed for any possible financial meltdowns though then hopefully it has though.

So back when I first started System Administration in the mid 90s, I was an administrator on AIX, SunOS, Solaris, SCO Unix (pre-caldera), and Linux. Some of those followed System V, some were more BSD. The commands between them all seemed the same, just the switches and operators were different. At various times over the past 20 years I have touched HP-UX, and Digital/UX as well as the others. In 2014 when I had to manage a HP-UX box, it was like going back to 1994 in terms of how the OS felt.

You might check out OpenIndiana, which is a fork of OpenSolaris.

Back