Pure FPS games gone for good?

kur1j

Gawd
I'm sure there are others that think the same way I do and I guess that type of gaming is gone. I am talking about the UT series quake 3 type of FPS shooters. Where it is purely a FPS game. 6-12 guns some ammo for everyone to shoot the shit out of each other with and that is it. If you

It seems that the newer FPS games are starting to turn into RPGFPS games. You got to meet this rank to get X item or gun or what not.

Is this type of game play gone?

Serious Sam comes out in a few weeks...

But, really, game companies aren't going to come out with same game over and over forever (even though it feels like it sometimes). They try to innovate, do different things, make something new. Sometimes you like the change, sometimes you don't.

I will continue to hope that it's not gone because it's my most favorite form of gaming. The only thing a new Arena shooter could do to improve the experience for me is add good match-making and competitive features out of the box with superb netcode while having the depth of UT/Quake.

I will say I will not hold my breath for such a title because even if it is the best type of FPS to me and many others I realize it would not have the appeal to masses because it would not be casual friendly. Thus we can assume it will not sell well. It's target audience would be competitive fps players with balanced 1v1, tdm and ctf (no vehicles). I can say it would rate very highly amongst those players but we are such a minority it will likely never happen.

Serious Sam comes out in a few weeks...

But, really, game companies aren't going to come out with same game over and over forever (even though it feels like it sometimes). They try to innovate, do different things, make something new. Sometimes you like the change, sometimes you don't.

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with being a business first and foremost.
They do just rehash things and make it as casual friendly as possible to target the largest amount of joe gamers. There is very little innovation in anything these days and how could there be? There is also very little effort applied to make sound game mechanics and gunplay these days. Because that would make it too difficult for the average gamer.

Last edited:
Thank Halo. Before that game, I cant' think of any FPS that you couldn't carry more than two guns. Now, that's it, just two or three. I do miss 10 different guns. Those were the good ol' days.

I have your answer right here.

Operant conditioning chamber.

In so many words, the gameplay mechanics are dull and samey that to keep people playing they need to reward them for playing to make pretend they are achieving towards something. Big secret: they aren't achieving anything, it is an illusion.

So basically, download and install UT2k3 demo and we'll duke it up like the good ol' days, buddy boy.

No, people like you will continue to play.. so it's not gone. UT is still a popular game at many LAN parties.

Most people find leveling up and getting new weapons more fun than playing a game of pure skill and getting dominated.

Hard Reset the exclusive PC game is what you need. It is SP only but thats ok. No RPG bullshit, no cover, all man.

Serious Sam 3 is coming out soon.

Counter Strike: GO!

There are no health packs, ammo packs, powerups, extreme bunnyhopping, etc...

but it is a simple FPS without leveling up or anything like that

CounterStrike was the game that killed DM no offense but IMO it in no way adds up to what old school fps players want.

I too miss that stuff, I love team play it is just now days everyone thinks team play means you need to remove most skills from the game. Tribes was a good team play game. The thing that bothers me the most is that even games that are suppose to be DM FPS games are now doing stupid stuff. DNF and Tribes both limiting weapons you can carry.

To me it is about speed and variable weapons. You dont have to bunny hop but you need to move faster than the the ultra slow realistic shooters that are everywhere now. And dont give me 30 guns that all do the same thing with only the reload rate, power and clip size changed.

As the OP said I think the real problem with FPS games was that at the time they had no match making so you could not slot yourself into a comfortable game. Also DM FPS suffered a bad fate because the players themself ruined the games by not accepting any change at all. Look at the big picture overall q4 was not all that different from Q3 but the quake players killed the frachise because they just would not accept the minor changes to Q4 and band together and keep the player base large. Instead they all split off into pro mods and going back to Q3. id took a hint and went consoles.

LOL I just noticed you can preorder Tribes Ascend, lol preorder a F2P game. I dunno maybe I will just preorder it to support anything but another BF/COD/CS clone.

duke nukem forever was a pure fps.... fuck it though, it sucked. play stalker with a mod pack. close enough for me,

Counter Strike: GO!

There are no health packs, ammo packs, powerups, extreme bunnyhopping, etc...

but it is a simple FPS without leveling up or anything like that

This. With the included 5v5 matchmaking and new gameplay graphics/harder 1.6 hitbox/recoil mechanics this should breath fresh air into the fps genre.

To me, Tribes was the pinnacle of FPS development.

There was a class system that still allowed you the flexibility to choose your roles.

There was a complex spotting / radar and waypoint system.

A voice shortcut menu that had almost any thing you need

Roles for HPBs and LPBs (remember those?)

The laser pointer with dual artillery firing solutions.

They got almost everything right and every version since the first has had people trying to improve on the original while making it "more accessible" which has generally meant dumbing down the movement system so skilled players can no longer run rings around new players.

But the very best part of the game was a skill based movement system that rewarded practice and map knowledge. Every other game I have ever seen has people moving at the same speed (or maybe you get a speed perk) but in Tribes, you are constantly having to achieve your movement speed and that was, to me, the magic.

Last edited:
Tribes Ascend is pretty awesome, got a chance to see it at Quakecon.

Mindless run and guns are dying, hopefully they disappear.

I know! The last thing we need in gaming right now is variety. Especially ones that distract from the fact games are serious buisness! :p

Theres a biiig difference between mindless repetitive bad games made so noone can possibly be bad at them and mindless fun games which require skill and practice to be good at.

I think that most gamers just want a little more than the old standard FPS we played back in the day like Quake and doom. Alot of people get more invested in the game when they are able to customize their character and make it as their own.

Crysis 2 seems pretty close to what the OP wants though, though multiplayer is all based on ranking up and unlocking stuff (and probably almost dead now).

No game type is gone for good. Tastes change, trends are cyclical, and Modern Warfare clones won't be the dominant FPS forever (just like Quake 3 wasn't the dominant FPS forever.)

It doesn't look like there's going to be a pure deathmatch AAA shooter any time soon. The publishers don't seem to have a taste for it. But it's been a long time since a decent DM game was released, and it's easier to build and distribute a game now than it's ever been. Plenty of kids (and more than a few adults) loved those type of FPS 10 years ago, and maybe they'd love another one, if only some intrepid developer could cook one up...

Why? Because you're bad at them? I don't see why you want a valid game type to disappear.:rolleyes:

I prefer tactical shooters as by definition, run and guns are simple.
Pure FPS are simple minded games that have been swamped by more developed games like FO3/Vegas, ME/1/2, Stalker1/2/3 etc.

Mindless run and guns are dying, hopefully they disappear.

This is an interesting statement.

Adj. 1. mindless - lacking the thinking capacity characteristic of a conscious being; "the shrieking of the mindless wind"
meaningless, nonmeaningful - having no meaning or direction or purpose; "a meaningless endeavor"; "a meaningless life"; "a verbose but meaningless explanation"
2. mindless - requiring little mental effort; "mindless tasks"
nonintellectual - not intellectual
3. mindlessmindless - not mindful or attentive; "while thus unmindful of his steps he stumbled"- G.B.Shaw
unmindful, forgetful
4. mindlessmindless - devoid of intelligence
asinine, fatuous, inane, vacuous
foolish - devoid of good sense or judgment; "foolish remarks"; "a foolish decision"
5. mindless - not marked by the use of reason; "mindless violence"; "reasonless hostility"; "a senseless act"
reasonless, senseless
unreasonable - not reasonable; not showing good judgment

Using the word mindless is a lazy attempt at justification.

The old fashioned Run and Gun DM games were far from mindless. One of my favorite definitions is:

"Tactics is the art of improving your position"

Those games were all about tactics being clever as well as just being a good shot.

I don't know if it was the move to consoles or what, but at some point, it's as if the industry decided that they needed to take steps to dampen the ability of good shooting to turn the tide of the game. You still need it, but it's a much smaller fraction of the winning recipe.

Anyone who thinks quake is mindless needs to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58

Thats just a starter, you're welcome to watch any of the Quakecon finals/semis while you're at it...

The hardest skill i've ever learned/practiced in all FPS games i've ever played is powerup and item control in UT2004. Keeping timings of 50/100/shock/lg while fighting is challenging to say the least.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are others that think the same way I do and I guess that type of gaming is gone. I am talking about the UT series quake 3 type of FPS shooters. Where it is purely a FPS game. 6-12 guns some ammo for everyone to shoot the shit out of each other with and that is it.
Where's the fun in that? Gets boring pretty quickly.

Where's the fun in that? Gets boring pretty quickly.

This guy has obviously never played a UT or Quake game. I pity him. Growing up with games like MW and BF , you will never know the feeling of a Capture the Flag match on Facing worlds or Lava Giant with a best friend wired on Dr. Pepper and cigarettes.

This guy has obviously never played a UT or Quake game. I pity him. Growing up with games like MW and BF , you will never know the feeling of a Capture the Flag match on Facing worlds or Lava Giant with a best friend wired on Dr. Pepper and cigarettes.

I'm not dissing capture the flag... but for many players game types like this don't promote a proper suspension of disbelief.

We're gunning people down and slaughtering foes left and right... to run a flag back to our base. That's one reason why many games have moved to more realistic objectives. Some people may find it easier to feel more into the game if it makes sense.

Now I know that obviously objectives in BF3 don't feel 100% realistic either... but it does at least feel like you're fighting to hold objectives which is a bit more feasible of an idea.

I'm not dissing capture the flag... but for many players game types like this don't promote a proper suspension of disbelief.

We're gunning people down and slaughtering foes left and right... to run a flag back to our base. That's one reason why many games have moved to more realistic objectives. Some people may find it easier to feel more into the game if it makes sense.

Now I know that obviously objectives in BF3 don't feel 100% realistic either... but it does at least feel like you're fighting to hold objectives which is a bit more feasible of an idea.

I don't see what everybodys fascination with being "realistic" in a video game is now days.

I don't see what everybodys fascination with being "realistic" in a video game is now days.

No kidding.

I want a coherent game setting where the rules make sense and are consistent, but that's it. In the late 90s / early 2000s, there was a lot of discussion about "realism" vs. gameplay (fun). There is always a group of people who want more and more realism and a lot of game developers realized that actual realism is not always that fun - nobody wants to get grazed in the leg and then move around at gimp speed or get shot in the arm and lose their ability to fire back so a lot of things are approximated or given a proxy (blurry vision and loud heartbeats are a proxy for heavy damage, etc)

Should a person with 10% health be able to fight as well as someone with 100% health? Does your answer make the game more fun?

The science is not settled.

I think that most gamers just want a little more than the old standard FPS we played back in the day like Quake and doom. Alot of people get more invested in the game when they are able to customize their character and make it as their own.

Crysis 2 seems pretty close to what the OP wants though, though multiplayer is all based on ranking up and unlocking stuff (and probably almost dead now).

Yea I remember back when I was a 14 or so and watching mine or my teams name move up the various online ladders and tournament brackets was not even comparable to leveling up and unlocking a weapon everyone should have from the start.

Oh wait I actually yearn for those days again because it was quite exciting to see my teams or my name moving up or down. Hell even the games that I didn't participate in interested me because not only did it directly effect me. It created excitement in me and the a lot of the community.

The competition and camaraderie is probably what was addicting to me. However, the game play that rewarded skill was the foundation of it and I was pleased by getting better every day and seeing those improvements. Even years after playing the same games.

What I think the issue is isn't that people get attached to their characters it's that everyone thinks they are entitled to the most prestigious stuff and that everyone should be able to attain it. So the developers find a way to give everyone something easily attainable to feel good about themselves. Yes even getting to 99 in diablo 2 hc or rank 50 in bc2 or whatever is easy. It may take time but it was still easy. Maybe they feel like it means they are finally a good player. While that's all peaches n creme for the masses. It is bad news for people who simply want a skill based game.

Believe it or not there use to be communities in gaming. It's so impersonal now; do not confuse personal with social.

This game genre would still be very strong if it had a system built in place like SC2 ladders or the like and a good forum. But it would still not measure up to COD or BF in terms of sales at least not imho and that's the major reason why we do not see them being developed.

I once got 200 kills in one round of Facing Worlds on the LAN we were playing.

Good times, man, good times.

Nothing beats pure FPS DM or CTF.

It requires way more skill and precision, and good knowledge of all the maps and armour.

A noob at COD can get pretty decent in a week.. In fact, I was out of PC gaming for 5 years and started playing COD:Black Ops and was dominating DM within 2 weeks..

Quake Live on the other hand, is the creme of the crop. If you think Quake 3 is mindless DM with no strategy, I suggest you play some Quake Live for free and see how long it takes to compete on those maps.. It could take you a year just to get good..

I miss the old days of pure FPS gaming, now everything seems so dumbed down. Black OPS single player is a generation ahead of Half Life in graphics but seems like a tremendous step backwards in gameplay.. You think these new warfare games are realistic? In black ops your machine guns can mow down 50 people without you taking any damange and without you really having to aim.. I'd take my old trusty rail gun or fake gauss gun any day over the garbage that is out now... Even the early days of Counterstrike Beta required a ton of skill.. Each weapon required adjustment and you couldn't just spray and pray like you can now.. I'll never forget those early Seige matches or the hours I spent playing a map like Facility in CS.. Good times...

While I do enjoy some Quake/UT/Half-Life deathmatch like in the days of old, my current tastes have evolved such that I prefer a slightly slower paced, more tactical game. N.B. I have never actually played a "realistic" shooter other than Call of Duty (1) and that was for the campaigns rather than the multiplayer. (I completely missed Tribes as I did not have a computer that could play it at the time.) For me, Shattered Horizon (as it was originally released) was an ideal shooter. It was definitely closer to Quake on the skill-tactics spectrum than most other modern games, but it veered away in some fun directions. Damn shame the online scene has been a ghost town for years. :(

I think that the shame is that no one sees a niche in good fast paced high skill FPS games. I realize that they will never be block busters. It simply requires to much skill. But it does not mean you cannot make money doing it. Everyone is trying to race to the bottom to expand the customer base we need someone who just says I am not going to try to compete in that over saturated market I am going to try to deliver a product that will not sell nearly as well but I will be the best at making it and the people who do like it will LOVE it. And they will be willing to pay for it. In some ways the Japansese market is like that, they gave up on pleasing the rest of the world and they make some games that are pretty expensive but certain japanese people really like.

I would be happy to play a game with a couple hundred people online if it was good. I dont need millions.

I'll never forget those early Seige matches or the hours I spent playing a map like Facility in CS.. Good times...

Hours? Son, I do believe you meant to say MONTHS :D

That, and de_dust, shit, those 2 maps alone would make you not want to play ANY other game for months on end.

Hours? Son, I do believe you meant to say MONTHS :D

That, and de_dust, shit, those 2 maps alone would make you not want to play ANY other game for months on end.

Hours per evening.. OMFG.. Facility, beta 2 or 3.. One choke point to get the hostages. Nearly impossible for the CT's to breach.. Some of the best firefights in my gaming life.. Taking out one T at a time required teamwork from everyone..

I'm sure there are others that think the same way I do and I guess that type of gaming is gone. I am talking about the UT series quake 3 type of FPS shooters. Where it is purely a FPS game. 6-12 guns some ammo for everyone to shoot the shit out of each other with and that is it. If you

It seems that the newer FPS games are starting to turn into RPGFPS games. You got to meet this rank to get X item or gun or what not.

Dude I couldn't agree with you more. I basicaly stopped playing FPS games online once ranks gave you a huge advantage over ppl of lesser rank. I don't have enough time to play and get prestige ranks or whatever the fuck it is. The last FPS game I played online regularly was the first call of duty. No ranks no killstreak bullshit, everyone was equal. Pretty sure those days are over.

Back