Purchasing an iPad 3, how to tell it's 2nd generation

adam30k

Gawd
So there's two generations of the iPad 3, the one released in March then the one in October that got the new A6 processor and lightning connector. Does anyone know how to tell from the package if you have the newest one? I'm going to get one this week. (Long story short I have a coupon for a specific store blah blah blah) I've tried looking online for model numbers or pictures of the box.. I know Apple doesn't put a lot of stuff on the box anyway.

Secondly, should I even be concerned? I've seen first generation iPad 3s on Amazon still being sold but that's because it was some mom and pop shop selling them. If a big box store like Target or Best Buy is sold out one week I imagine the next shipment they get is from Apple especially since the first generation iPad 3 was discontinued in October.

I know the processor bump isn't that big of a deal but hey it's the same price.

Well, if you can get lightning, get lightning. I wouldn't call the update small... maybe just annoying since it was a 6 month cycle. Most people around here call it the iPad 4, although Apple doesn't officially call it that. Wiki also call it "Fourth Generation."

Wiki doesn't seem to have info on a code or anything like that on the box. However one way could be to look at the camera specs.... the Fourth gen has a 1.2 megapixel camera as opposed to .3 megapixel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipad

Won't the newest one say right on the package it has the lightning connector?

I got the ipad 4 w/ lightning connector. On the back of the box lower left there is sticker that should say something like:

"Includes ipad, Lightning to USB Cable, and etc..."

Won't the newest one say right on the package it has the lightning connector?

That's what I'm asking :)

I got the ipad 4 w/ lightning connector. On the back of the box lower left there is sticker that should say something like:

"Includes ipad, Lightning to USB Cable, and etc..."

Perfect thanks that's what I was hoping for.

Just to chime in, there is no "iPad 3 2nd generation". It's called the iPad 4.

Google the model numbers for the ipad. It is on the back of the box and they are all unique.

Google the model numbers for the ipad. It is on the back of the box and they are all unique.

That's what I've been trying to find. Confirmed: simply look on the back of the box and it will say lightning cable included.

iPad 4? I'm not sure if that's official because Apple calls it the iPad with Retina display and doesn't distinguish by name between the two versions. Either way I have my iPad.

Last edited:
That's what I've been trying to find. Here's my box in case anyone else Google's this

iPad 4? I'm not sure if that's official because Apple calls it the iPad with Retina display and doesn't distinguish by name between the two versions. Either way I have my iPad.

You may want to blur your serial number.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have guessed that it's so hard to tell the difference. This "New" iPad thing is kind of annoying, how long can you call something new?

I wouldn't have guessed that it's so hard to tell the difference. This "New" iPad thing is kind of annoying, how long can you call something new?

It's not hard at all: look at the dock on the bottom.

And you call it new as long as it's new.

It's not hard at all: look at the dock on the bottom.

And you call it new as long as it's new.

True, but can I still call the 3rd gen iPad a "New" iPad. That's what Apple called it, is that what I'm supposed to call it?

True, but can I still call the 3rd gen iPad a "New" iPad. That's what Apple called it, is that what I'm supposed to call it?

They called it the new iPad when it was new. Now it's been supplanted by the Lightning-capable revision, which they debuted as the "iPad 4" and sell as the "New iPad" on their online store. When the fifth iPad comes out, that will be the new iPad and they'll refer to the current as the "iPad 4", as they did in their keynote announcement.

Back