Purchasing a CPU from SiliconLottery

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
I need a 9900k, but since they're perpetually sold out everywhere, I noticed SiliconLottery has them in stock for $499. My concern there is its not going to be a sealed, boxed CPU (and therefore an unscratched lottery ticket) but one they've already binned as the worst performers that they can't sell for more.

I'll probably just wait for Amazon or MC, but anyone have experience buying CPU's from them?

I need a 9900k, but since they're perpetually sold out everywhere, I noticed SiliconLottery has them in stock for $499. My concern there is its not going to be a sealed, boxed CPU (and therefore an unscratched lottery ticket) but one they've already binned as the worst performers that they can't sell for more.

I'll probably just wait for Amazon or MC, but anyone have experience buying CPU's from them?
Yep, you are getting the worst, what else would you expect with their business model?

I don't see how the business model could be better under the circumstances. They bin a CPU for you and sell it 2nd hand the expectations couldn't be more clear you get a CPU which is capable of the overclock you can afford with conventional cooling. Conversely delidding voids warranty so there should be no delusions. Silicon Lottery offers a time-saving option to get where you want to or can afford to go. For an encourageable like me, it's a starting point for delidding putting underwater and pushing even farther without the need to go through 10 chips to get the right one.

I have bought three silicone lottery CPU over three generations up to my latest 7700k from 4790k. All were delidded upon receipt and still operational underwater. I got tired of binning and countless hours of overclocking to get where I want to be and was apprehensive with no warranties implied like you. However, at this point, I've either had good luck or was smart enough not to push beyond acceptable norms with every purchase from them. Of course YMMV. Overclocking is by nature risky which leads me to my best advice if you can't afford to replace it don't overclock it and buy with warranty running default settings. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to buy from them again. They provide the settings required for the stated overclock, and it couldn't be more simple. They even offer a delid option for the faint of heart.

For the record, I have not updated to 8000 or 9000 series because I am underwhelmed by Intel's update of old architecture, but I have the itch and have had for 20 years to constantly update. If the Intel 10nm Ice Lake fab or AMD 3700x series Ryzen is all that, I will head to SL for my options first before any other consideration. Call me lazy :D

Microcenter in Marietta GA had like 7 or 8 just sitting in the case. One even had dust on it. Theyre in stock there at least. Never seen them out since their first shipment. Not many willing to pay 500 for a regular no frills 8 core I guess unless they know specifically what they want with it.

Screenshot-20190301-085720-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back