Purchased a financed phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Financed phones from end-users

Y'all do realize that a lot of people re-up their contracts to get a subsidized phone for cheap then turn around and sell a brand new new-to-market high end phone that they got on that subsidy in order to pay for that contract, right? Some people will flip 3 or 4 phones a year (family accounts, I don't do it, but for example I pay ~$120/mo for 5 lines - if I flipped 5 phones @ $500 each every year I'd actually make a PROFIT on my cell phone contract every year) and essentially pay next to nothing for their cell service by selling their souls this way, but they will still pay their contracts in a timely manner with next to no risk to the buyers of the phones.

I'm pretty sure that's what zod96 does here. Yes, it can easily be abused and several people have and do do it. But keep in mind that there's two sides to every sword, and this is one of them.

This doesn't seem the case, as it's not a subsidized phone, it's a phone on a payment plan.... What the seller needs to do is take the buyer's money and turn around and pay off the phone. A phone that's basically not his to sell... Because he doesn't own it.

SunnyD,

There is a difference (or used to be) in buying a phone with a subsidized 2 year commitment and purchasing phones under an Edge (or similar) agreement. Edge is financing the phones and subject to a blacklist if defaulted. If I pay for a phone under a carrier subsidy and sell the phone prior to defaulting on my 2 year contract the phone is free and clear. Looking at Verizon's site now there is no option for subsidized phones so everyone needs to be sure that if they are purchasing a used phone it is not under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back