Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, DFI is definately the way to go in my opinion. Benchies have shown that having dual X16 slots for SLI did basically nothing for performance. The vid cards are really not even close to saturating X8 yet which is why you will see no difference. With that said, the DFI will give you OC Superiority over the Asus any day of the week. By the time vid cards really need the dual X16, it'll be time to move to another socket.

Budwise...

Essentially I will have a similar rig to what you have there.

I'd like to get the EXPERT board, GTX 512 vid card, G.skill ram, same DVD burner, maxtor 300gb drives (2 for RAID 1).

I have the CPU (opteron 170 0530), HSF - Zalman 9500, PSU - OCZ 520 Powerstream SLI, and Thermaltake Armor pc case.

I hope I can get similar results to you OC with air. I'm hoping that the Zalman 9500 will do a good job for me. I'm going to order arctic silver 5 with my mobo to help maximize the cooling of the Opteron.

if I can get 2.7 at reasonable and reliable voltage...I will be VERY happy. I can't wait to hurry this up so I can finish playing FEAR, continue playing BF2/SF, and DOOM 3 (still haven't finished).

I'm so eager to try all my games on this new rig...I haven't been able to play the games, because I'm so disgusted.

BF2 Special Forces is buggy as hell, but the new maps are cool. A lot of people say that the expansion runs much worse than vanilla BF2, but it runs great for me. Everything maxed out and 4x AA 1280x1024.

I hate you wolf :(

it's running a lot worse for me...my stupid Pentium4 2.4 (non-HT).

I need my superduty OPTERON to tear this damn game apart!

Budwise said:
yes, DFI is definately the way to go in my opinion. Benchies have shown that having dual X16 slots for SLI did basically nothing for performance. The vid cards are really not even close to saturating X8 yet which is why you will see no difference. With that said, the DFI will give you OC Superiority over the Asus any day of the week. By the time vid cards really need the dual X16, it'll be time to move to another socket.

that's cool... i was referring to this review of the board. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=1

they found that in the NEWEST games, that it actually did make a difference... games like doom3/hl2...etc. it didn't make much of a difference at all though. so that leads me to believe that as far as future proofing your new box, this is a better choice. they also got a very nice overclock out of it as well... i'm so :confused: :(

BoredTiger said:
I chose the DFI to mate to the Opteron 170, simply because of it's robust OC abilities :)

Someone already said this.. heheh

I know what you're saying though, CTHULU. I was looking at the new SLI board from Asus, but it seems for all intents and purposes, if I go with the DFI, I can really crank out the best out of my CPU. Also, with a card like the 7800 GTX 512, having just one card in the x16 slot will be good enough in terms of future proofing, in my honest opinion. I believe that by the time my 512 becomes haggard, new cards will be out and I think getting a Sli32 board later would be more easily handled.

So I think for immediate purposes, DFI and OC the OPTERON is the most important point for me.

I really envy Budwise's setup.

I actually have the same case. I am going to get G.skill ram though, so I hope I can be as successful in my OC as Bud's.

cool, thanks for the reply... i'm not saying that you haven't done your homework or anything... i'm just trying to figure out what to buy. :) and that review of the new asus board isn't helping matters. :D

Just thought I'd give my suggestion, if you want Future Proofing, you can do like I did and get 2x EVGA 7800GT OC's. Mine clock very nicely at 485/1.15 (can go higher on the core but not worth the gain, since trying to get to the next delta is near impossible, on stock).

On my opteron @ 2.5Ghz and those 2 card's I can run FEAR at 1152x864 with everything MAXED and 4x AA + 16Ansio AND Supersampling Transperancy AA (so mesh screens look perfect), and I get about 73AVG frames in the built in demo - game play is smooth smooth.

Last bench of 3dMark05 at 2.5Ghz (can do more but leaving it low for now), and 485/1.15 I got 12,800 points... Not bad considering you can get 2 GT's for cheaper than a single 512mb.

And down the road you can use the Step Up program from EVGA to upgrade your card's to 512mb's if you want (90 day limit)...

My 2 cents I guess.

Phadeout said:
Just thought I'd give my suggestion, if you want Future Proofing, you can do like I did and get 2x EVGA 7800GT OC's. Mine clock very nicely at 485/1.15 (can go higher on the core but not worth the gain, since trying to get to the next delta is near impossible, on stock).

No delta on GT's anymore

kirbyrj said:
No delta on GT's anymore

Correct, if you're talking about the 40mhz built in OC on older BIOS's from EVGA.

The Delta in performance hops is still there, at certain clocks. The internal clocks/muli's have not changed, just the added +40Mhz build in OC for the Shaders. Performance boosts can still be seen in jumps depending on what clock you can hit, since the internal clocks have not changed (hope I'm making sense). Anyways, don't wanna get off topic here, new thread maybe?

Does the brand of thermal paste matter (e.g. Arctic Silver 3 or 5) when adding the heatsink fan?

Also, being a dual core processor, does the application differ? Do you place paste on certain areas of the dual core processor for better results?

EDIT: I noticed on online tutorials for single core processors, that the paste should be "dropped" on over the area the core is. Is there another pattern or area that the paste should be applied on a DUAL CORE processor? Where are those areas?

considering the heat that will be generated, you should ALWAYS make sure that the HS covers the core. With this in mind, you have to apply the compund evenly to all parts fo the core. The entire core dissipates heat, weither its 70 or 80 watts is a small difference, that heat still has to get out. so you should just do as with any cpu. cover the entire core and make sure that as much of the heatsink makes contact with it as possible

also remember, you do not need much compound. the true effect is created by the clip that secures the hitsink to the core. It pushes on the heatsink cause less space to exists between the two. the compount is only for making sure that the imperfections also transfer as much heat as possible.

I've heard at least one person claim that painting the compound on (a very thin and even layer) is the best way to go. I don't know this from experience, but that sounded plausible for a pretty flat sink/core surface.

Optymystic said:
I've heard at least one person claim that painting the compound on (a very thin and even layer) is the best way to go. I don't know this from experience, but that sounded plausible for a pretty flat sink/core surface.

exactly!
do you really think that the compound conducts more heat than the heatsink itself?
if so, all HS would be made of it. and the CPU would be in a buble of it.

No, the best way to conduct heat is to press the HS against the core in a perfectly even manner with as much force as possible with out breaking either.
The compound helps to make sure that the imperfections on each, dont just take up empty air space and the entire point of the compoint is to eliminate air pockets.
basically

Metal to metal > compound > air inbetween metal

so the compound is a much better alternative to the air pockets created.
(and its a bit softer than metal so a bit more force can be used)

BoredTiger said:
So no one has an idea about thermal paste application on a dual core OPTERON?

Opteron/athlon64/P4 instructions 1/2way down the page.

What's with all these Vendors lately apparently gouging us on the prices of the components, that we want? Are their Distributors inflating their prices to them,(as it seems), OR is it just greed & collusion on their own,OR they are using a Hot Item like this to recoup some of their costs?
I was once interested in purchasing an Opteron 170, But @ the current Inflated prices, i would be better off to spend $ 40-50 more & get an Opteron 175 instead. Do they not see that this might hurt their business with us, "The Enthusiast", In the long run? I get the whole "Supply & Demand" & "Free Enterprise" concepts, but eventually Customers tire of these tactics & will become Someone Else's Customer. What do you folks think?

1RadDad said:
What's with all these Vendors lately apparently gouging us on the prices of the components, that we want? Are their Distributors inflating their prices to them,(as it seems), OR is it just greed & collusion on their own,OR they are using a Hot Item like this to recoup some of their costs?
I was once interested in purchasing an Opteron 170, But @ the current Inflated prices, i would be better off to spend $ 40-50 more & get an Opteron 175 instead. Do they not see that this might hurt their business with us, "The Enthusiast", In the long run? I get the whole "Supply & Demand" & "Free Enterprise" concepts, but eventually Customers tire of these tactics & will become Someone Else's Customer. What do you folks think?

*cough, cough*

here

dave

Well fellas....I fucked up and committed to it.
My buddy is building his step son a gaming machine for xmas, and being the self respecting hw junkie that I am, I graciously offered to sell him my stuff so that I can bravely try out all these new and potentially unreliable components and they can have the rock solid p4 I've know works like a charm...heheh. hook line and sinker.
An e-mail to Dave later, and I'm officially in the fray it looks like.
So, you gotten your mobo yet tiger? Now I gotta really plan here so be sure to keep me posted on how everythings working for you guys!

enlightenedby42 said:
Well fellas....I fucked up and committed to it.
My buddy is building his step son a gaming machine for xmas, and being the self respecting hw junkie that I am, I graciously offered to sell him my stuff so that I can bravely try out all these new and potentially unreliable components and they can have the rock solid p4 I've know works like a charm...heheh. hook line and sinker.
An e-mail to Dave later, and I'm officially in the fray it looks like.
So, you gotten your mobo yet tiger? Now I gotta really plan here so be sure to keep me posted on how everythings working for you guys!

I'm glad the forum has inspired you to go out into the wild front and explore the unknown :p

ENLIGHTENED!!! WAAAHOOOOO!!!! :)

YAAY...you decided NOW as opposed to LATER!!! :) RIGHT ON!!!

I'm actually getting some hdds and optical drive this week first, while I have a unique opportunity, and then will be purchasing the mobo next week. The price on the mobo has been steady so I decided to take advantage of the drive price breaks.

So, all that's left is RAM and VIDEO CARD. Which could easily equal 1000 dollars :( sigh.

I really have my sights set on the 7800 GTX 512 right now. I just don't see the point of getting anything lesser, with the kind of rig I'm putting together.

We'll see, my impatience will probably lead me to get a lesser card...but for now, that is the plan.

Afterall, I also couldn't wait and bought the processor RIGHT OFF the bat.

welcome to fray Enlightened!!! :) Lets get to work!

hey MEGALOMANIAC!

Thanks for the explanation of the whole heat paste and heat sink utilization. I guess I misread something on the arctic silver page...

It seemed to imply that you put the paste right over the core and just place the heatsink and the rest will take care of itself. I didn't really see anywhere that instructed me to "evenly distribute" the heat paste all over the processor.

I am looking at my HSF and the OPTERON and very eager to put these two together...alas, I must wait for the board :)

I've always gotten the best, most consistant results with the dot and squish method Heatspreader or not. All the axcess will be pushed out of the way no matter what and so long as you don't go crazy there isn't enough excess on an non heatspreader surface to cause any problems. Although I always twist around on the HS while it's warm to help ensure an even, thin coating.

I was checking out a Sort Media forum, becasue I was interested on the performance difference between the DC Opteron and X2's, well there's a post just over halfway down the page by muddocktor talking about the lack of Opteron availability, which I've definitely noticed. What I'm woried about is the link to another forum post from the owner of Tank Guys who says AMD is thinking about selling the s939 opterons directly to system builders only, it's a few days old but tell me what you think. The reasoning behind it makes sense, but how could AMD gurantee that none of these Opterons get into the retail stream? I'm think of the way one is able to buy Windows MCE without buying a fully configured computer...

lol someone will be making a pretty penny off of this decision ^ :rolleyes: ^. I guessed it was probably posted somewhere already but this seemed like a logical place to reiterate as well...

wtiger thanks for the info.

As for the instructions on the arctic site...i'm still not clear on DUAL CORE processors. Are the dual cores (OPTERON) have a single dye on the chip that is dual core ? :p

Sorry..hehehe, I didn't open up the box yet :) In any case, I'm going ARCTIC 5.

If I'm not mistaken applying thermal grease to a dual core processor is the same as that of a single core. Looking under the hood, there are two cores but they are on the same dye. Since that one dye, with two cores, is under a one headspreader, you have nothing to worry about as to where you should put your termal grease. Just make sure the heatspreader is evenly covered and this can be accomplished by putting a few dabs of AS 5 in the center of the heat spreader and letting the heatsink do the rest, with the pressure spreading it out.

Solar said:
lol someone will be making a pretty penny off of this decision ^ :rolleyes: ^. I guessed it was probably posted somewhere already but this seemed like a logical place to reiterate as well...

lol...not really. TankGuys and I (incidently, pretty good friends as it were) both keep our margins pretty low. i'll show you billable vs invoice if you want. trust me, not making hardly anything on this.

dave

Solar!

Thanks, that is what I was beginning to see from what people are stating here. The cores are on one dye, so simply apply the thermal grease over the dye area and then place the HS to spread out the goodness :)

Thanks guys!

dave_graham said:
lol...not really. TankGuys and I (incidently, pretty good friends as it were) both keep our margins pretty low. i'll show you billable vs invoice if you want. trust me, not making hardly anything on this.

dave

i don't know if dave is making any money off the chips he sells, but i am damn sure he's one awesome person to deal with. i bought an opteron 170 from him, but it arrived with some bent pins. i contacted dave and he overnighted a new one to me the very next day. if that aint great service, i don't know what is. and in my case, i'm sure dave lost some money on the deal. thanks dave. :)

tktran215 said:
i don't know if dave is making any money off the chips he sells, but i am damn sure he's one awesome person to deal with. i bought an opteron 170 from him, but it arrived with some bent pins. i contacted dave and he overnighted a new one to me the very next day. if that aint great service, i don't know what is. and in my case, i'm sure dave lost some money on the deal. thanks dave. :)

thanks man....

dave

:D
Well, I just some good news. A shiny new 0543TPMW Opteron 170 should be headed my way shortly....here we go... :D

tktran215 said:

I second that! Dave is great guy to deal with. I finally was able to try out my Opteron 146 I got from dave a couple weeks ago. 3.0Ghz as I type this! Sweet. :p

it looks like if I'm ever in the market for "server components" then dave is my man

Solar said:
it looks like if I'm ever in the market for "server components" then dave is my man

lol

yeah, i've got the supermicro, tyan, etc. lines available too. :)

oh, and don't forget the 2xx and 8xx opteron lines. :D

dave

Any further progress from anyone else with their OPTERON 170s?

I'm still on standstill...tight budget right now ;(

Hospital bills really knocked me out. I had to get a knee operation and the bills came in all at once, so I just took care of them :(

In any case, I truly hope to have this rig up and running before the end of January 2006 :(

I swear this forum has a way of making me spend MONEY!!!

I just went ahead and spent money on a mobo and dvd drive to complement my opty.

Now my Opty has a home to sleep in, while I find RAM, HDDs, Vid Card.

So close...but....so...far :(

dave_graham said:
lol

yeah, i've got the supermicro, tyan, etc. lines available too. :)

oh, and don't forget the 2xx and 8xx opteron lines. :D

dave

How long is the waiting list for the 165?

I Just received my Opty 170 Box ordered from Page Computer as a backup, It's a CCBWE 0543 TPMW, Hoping for good things from it, Will install it tomorrow night, After work, Plan to start by leaving my Corsair XMS Twin X Pro, Currently set 24/7 @ 252 FSB ram timings 2.5-3-3-7 1T, (In My MSI Neo 4 Plat. SLI), So will start off @ 2.5, but will be happy to get 2.6 - 2.7+, but looking for 24/7 stability to drive my 19" LCD & 27" LCD HDTV, Perhaps getting a 7800 GTX 512 @ Tax time, Merry X-Mas to me & Happy Holidays to All of You as well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back