Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
dave_graham said:
guys,

I had a customer back out on a 170.

OSA170DAA6CD TRAY Stock $360.00 Model 170, Dual Core, 2.0Ghz, 939pin, 110W, 2 MB Cache, step E6

it's a CCBWE 0530TPMW

serial code ending in H50071

price is $360.00 + 11.00 shipping.

It's available to ship tomorrow.

dave

Nice deal. I'd jump if I didn't have a 165 already :).

yeah, it is....It's straight from Avnet so ne'er been used. i'm selling out of these things so fast.

btw, AMD has put all 100 series Opterons on allocation. translation: they're not able to keep up with demand at this point....soooo, when we get 'em, they go fast.

dave

Opteron 170

ccbwe 0534

Seems to be stable at 2.5GHz with 1.38 volts as reported by MBM5 on an Asus A8N-E. Temps were maxing out at 53 degrees running two instances of P95 x64.

Trying 2.6GHz now, but it is taking a bit more voltage. :(

Just picked up my 170 from FedEx today... I was thinking of waiting to see how the new motherboards pan out, and hold off a couple of weeks on buying a video card until prices settle a bit, but it's a CCBWE 0530, makes me want to get started right away...

omgomgomgomg

my opty 170 is so freaking fast
it was really fast in windows but now i'm starting to test games... i'm amazed - it's like night and day. one example: world of warcraft lvls loads about 4-5x as fast now as it did on my p4 2.8E oc'd to 3.5... not only that but the fps are incredible. im joining battlegrounds and basically looking at 2 seconds to load, with no jitters or delays... woo

wooo... and all this on "old technology" (4x512 3200 xms corsair, 6800 ultra agp)

more later - i'll post my huge post relating all this back.

oh yeah, and i'm still at stock speeds...

oh yeah, and that performance is with tons of im windows, voice comms, browser windows, updates, etc, all in the background running while i'm alt-tabbing back and forth.

when i alt-tabbed back and forth there was no load delay... none. AAGHH!

Impaqt said:
Yes, but thats still a damn fine overclock. 2.8ghz should be possible on air if not more. THese chips are running cool.

Traditionally, the first runs of AMD Processors have been the best overclockers.

If I didnt just get my 144 (At 2.88Ghz Stbale on Air btw) I'd be getting a 170 right now... I still might :)

Palamino's ran cool !?!?!??! that is news to me man... :eek:

guys, i'm currently compiling orders for Opt. 170s. let me know if you're interested. PM or direct mail me.

dave

My opty (OEM) ordered from MONARCH on November 7 and received on November 11.

I have a PC case and a CPU. No board, no nothing hahahaha, so I have what you call...NOTHING at this point ;)

But I am VERY eager to experience this huge speed differential from your Intel.

So looking forward to putting this rig together!! :)

Can't wait to OC it too ;p

I bought my retail opt 170 from mwave for $387 last week and got the 0530 version like most of you. I'm switching from a Dell XPS 600 with an Intel Pentium D 840.

Here are the parts I ordered, The processor, ram, hsf and case came yesterday. Now waiting on the rest.

Antec P180
Antec HE500
Zalman 9500
Opteron 170
2Gb G.Skill DDR500
74Gb Raptor
2x500Gb Hitachi SATAII
BFG 7800GT w/ NV Silencer

Can't wait to see how this compares to the Dell.

How are these chips in comparison to the 939 4000+ and the dual core A64s?

I'm not too fimiliar with he Optis outside of a server enviornment.

I'm curious if I should stick to my 4000+ route or head down this 170 route.

Really the only difference I've read about is that they are tested a lot more streneously to make sure they perform in an 24/7 server environment, and as such are much more overclocking friendly, meaning you can get FX 57 speeds or more on air cooling for a fraction of the price, likewise with the dual core models.

Well I see the 170s for $400 the Single Core 4000+ is $336 or so?

Do I need a DFI board for this? There has to be some other alternative ;)

I'm interested in this route.. only because I'm building a whole new box from the ground up.

Was looking to go the simple cookie cutter build of:

s939 4000+ SD core.
A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB of Corsair XMS (2x1GB) 3200C2PT Ram
Antec Lan Boy case
Antec SP-500 PS
eVGA N517 7800 GT 256..

Basically this was going to be a gaming box.. I'm looking as to what I can do for the most bang for the buck. With the 170 It would be roughly in the same price range give or take $100-150 which I can do. I'm just curious if its worth it.

Thing is.. if I'll benefit more down the road with the 170 than my SD 4000+

You guys are claiming the speeds of FX57 which is easily faster than the 4000+. So I'm kinda confused now. I think its a matter of what MB supports the 170 and how well/stable it is.

I've heard too many negatives to really consider DFI as an option. :(

To my understanding, any socket 939 motherboard should support the socket 939 1xx series Opterons. The companies don't "officially" support the enterprise CPU's as they are not producing enterprise motherboards. Sounds like compatibility issues with the DFI (and other NF4 boards) lies mostly with RAM and power supplies.
That being said, all the bad experiences with NF4 boards are the thing that is making me skeptical of riding the upgrade wave just yet, so I totally see where you're coming from there.

Yah thats why I might just continue the path of the cookie cutter :(

Might just be in my best interest with less headaches.

You should get the Opteron ;). A 4000+ just isn't worth it. I'd get a X2 3800+ if you want the "cookie cutter" CPU.

defrag said:
I'm interested in this route.. only because I'm building a whole new box from the ground up.

Was looking to go the simple cookie cutter build of:

s939 4000+ SD core
NOo0ooo... get an Opteron 165 or 170!!

Without any proven stable setups, it just doesn't seem right. besides the 170 is $400 and the 4000+ is $334.. and I really won't have to worry about OCing.. doing more research. Locating the proper cooling, the proper MB, proper RAM.. etc etc..

kirbyrj said:
You should get the Opteron ;). A 4000+ just isn't worth it. I'd get a X2 3800+ if you want the "cookie cutter" CPU.

the x2 3800+ only has a 512k cache no? and its a slower core..Atleast for gaming this wouldn't be the better solution, wouldn't the single core at 2.4ghz with 1mb cache prove to be better?

defrag said:
the x2 3800+ only has a 512k cache no? and its a slower core..Atleast for gaming this wouldn't be the better solution, wouldn't the single core at 2.4ghz with 1mb cache prove to be better?
you're comparing a $300 cpu to a $1000 cpu ;)

the 165 is 200mhz slower than the 3800+ X2, but has 1mb per core instead of 512kb

defrag said:

Unless ALL you are doing is gaming, you're going to have a better Windows experience with an X2/165/170. I don't think it's really that hard to pop in an Opteron and have it work. I've only seen 1 board that didn't support it, and it was an MSI. I mean it's the SAME CORE as the other s939 A64's/X2's.

Defrag, I understand your position...

but at the same time, I think researching and getting the right components is just the better buy, as opposed to the cookie cutter method. You'll get more enjoyment from your rig and a better understanding of your system.

You'll come out better for it. I believe going the NON-cookie cutter method is the more exciting path and more rewarding as well. If I'm going to spend the kind of money that everything costs me, I want it to be the best I can get for my money. Not...yea, I'll just take that pathetic ham sandwich with 2 slices of ham. Get my drift?

That's how I see it...anyways..

I've narrowed the components down to DFI mobo (regular or expert), G.Skill ram, OCZ psu, a BFG 7800 GTX (hopefully a 512), one 74gb raptor, and two high capacity drives for a RAID 1 setup, 2 optical drives (plextor and maybe lg)

(cf)Eclipse said:
you're comparing a $300 cpu to a $1000 cpu ;)

the 165 is 200mhz slower than the 3800+ X2, but has 1mb per core instead of 512kb

hehe, how so? the 939 4000+ Single Core San Diego is $334... :/

Btw, I hate you all just for trying to convince me to go this route ;)

Truth is.. I've never overclocked anything. I have a general understanding of how the FSB and what not work. I'm still trying to understand the HTT and what not. Still reading up on what I need to do in order to get this all to work.

defrag said:
Btw, I hate you all just for trying to convince me to go this route ;)

Truth is.. I've never overclocked anything. I have a general understanding of how the FSB and what not work. I'm still trying to understand the HTT and what not. Still reading up on what I need to do in order to get this all to work.

Don't worry...it's not too hard to figure out once you start playing around with it ;).

Some helpful tools:

CPU-Z
ClockGen
Memtest86

With all the cooling needed in the case and outside of the case.. this just doesn't seem the right path for me :( I'd have to spend an extra $100-200 on Fans and a Heatsink.

Actually I see people using the XP-90 or 120.. what else do I need with these heatsinks?

defrag said:
With all the cooling needed in the case and outside of the case.. this just doesn't seem the right path for me :( I'd have to spend an extra $100-200 on Fans and a Heatsink.

Actually I see people using the XP-90 or 120.. what else do I need with these heatsinks?

they come with just a heatsink so you have to attack a fan yourself. i would reccomend a panaflo or delta. if ur open to othe rheatsink suggestions i reccomend the tt big typhoon, it's huge, but it has great cooling

cx323 said:
they come with just a heatsink so you have to attack a fan yourself. i would reccomend a panaflo or delta. if ur open to othe rheatsink suggestions i reccomend the tt big typhoon, it's huge, but it has great cooling

The panaflos are 90mm fans, where would I be mounting these to provide fan cooling? Just normally around the case? or would I be screwing this is in on one of the blocks or something?

I was looking at the Zalman CNPS9500.. would this be enough for just a good air cooling solution.. then again I have to fix a case that would fit this with the m/b.

I think the best value per dollar in the heatsink/fan arena would have to be an XP-90 from Thermal Right and a Thermaltake UFO 92mm fan. The thing is the XP-90 aluminum is very LIGHT and doesn't strain the mobo (good if you move the case a lot) and the temp you will get with it is barely higher than the XP-90C (copper variant of the same heatsink) which costs significantly more and weighs about 8million pounds :p ..... I got my XP-90 for about 26 dollars and I got the UFO fan for 11 bucks. The UFO fan was the 92mm of choice for me because it has a very good 92cfm at full speed and can go way down from there but to me it isn't even the least bit loud at full tilt (not hyper sensitive) plus it looks dang cool. I will tell you the UFO fan has some fancy light show LED's on top of the fan but that is a bracket that can be easily removed if the light show bothers you. Anyway, I have an opteron 146 single core (basically a San Diego chip) on an Abit KN8 (cheapo Abit 939 NF4 board) and it all runs fine and works PERFECT 24/7 stable at 2.85ghz at 300mhz HTT and 9.5x multiplier. Now this board and proc run less than 300 bucks together and the performance is nothing short of jaw dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back