Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defrag,

I'm getting the DFI expert, OCZ powerstream 520 sli ready, G.Skill ram, and assorted HDDs and optical drives.

I just bought an opteron 170 off of Dave :)

I hope it aint a lame overclocker as there seems to be different serial number cores lol

Shinryu said:
I just bought an opteron 170 off of Dave :)

I hope it aint a lame overclocker as there seems to be different serial number cores lol

I don't think you'll have a problem with 2.4-2.5 even with a bad core.

So excited...I'm going to get my Mobo this coming week !!! :)

With the mobo purchase, i'm thinking...HEATSINK solution.

What do you all think about the ZALMAN 9500 with the OPTERON? Good? Yes?

Please chime in?

"I'm hearing through some sources that AMD is no longer going to be selling the 939 opterons through distribution/retail units anymore. Word is that they don't like these chips being used for anything but servers, so they will ONLY be shipping them directly to System Integrators.

I haven't been able to completely confirm this yet, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up. If you want one of these, and you can find one ANYWHERE (no, I don't have any more available ) then I'd recommend you buy it. Chances are good that you won't see them available anymore.

I'll let you all know when I find out anymore info. As I said, I can't be 100% sure this is true, but it's the rumors I'm hearing from a few suppliers.... "

From TankGuys @ anandtech

Link: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1738124&enterthread=y

I hope these things can start hitting 2.8ghz or higher on air (100% gauranteed) and come down in price once Oblivion comes out.

If you havnt purchase opteron, you better do it fast.

From what I heard today, AMD is going to stop shipping these Opteron to Distribution Channel. That means what is left on the Online Retailer is it. Reason AMD is doing this is because they misforcast the CPU and suppose to use it for Server workstation. What AMD is going to do is they will drop ship CPU to customer who are System Integrators. So I would say prepare for a huge shortage for AMD Opterons CPU.

if this is true i think its really poor of AMD to release a product that is superior product ( opty) and then attempt to take it back from us. I mean sure they are meant for servers, but i mean we as enthuist push limits and try get the best out of rigs. Back in the day, water wasnt for PC cooling, they would have looked at you crazy, now WC is high end cooling gone mainstream. After all we are the ones who ditched our perfectly good venice's and x2 out the window. If places are losing money because they have too many A64's/x2 then i think its on that reseller to look on their JIT practices or whatever more closesly. If nvidia can release 7800gtx's for 599 when big stores still had 1000 6800's left well then should have followed their sales data and market movement more closely. AMD shouldnt punish us the consumers for being too good at what they do.

I may already have my 144 but it still sucks that AMD would do something like this if its true, its how the industry grows and gets better. I wonder how long it will be untill someone from a server farm starts selling em on the black market( ebay). If AMD is gonna still make them, they will make it into our hands, after all we are [H].

conceptxp said:
If you havnt purchase opteron, you better do it fast.

From what I heard today, AMD is going to stop shipping these Opteron to Distribution Channel. That means what is left on the Online Retailer is it. Reason AMD is doing this is because they misforcast the CPU and suppose to use it for Server workstation. What AMD is going to do is they will drop ship CPU to customer who are System Integrators. So I would say prepare for a huge shortage for AMD Opterons CPU.

Rumor at this point. It really makes no sense for AMD to do this. Not that AMD's practices ever really made much financial sense, but they are always trying to bring up Opteron sales to show it against the Xeon. Why stop with something that is shipping well?

false, false, false.

they're on TIGHT allocation right now and that's preventing most stores and shops from getting parts on schedule.

there is no move to close the distro channel.

dave

kirbyrj said:
Rumor at this point. It really makes no sense for AMD to do this. Not that AMD's practices ever really made much financial sense, but they are always trying to bring up Opteron sales to show it against the Xeon. Why stop with something that is shipping well?

Agreed...

I believe that the reason why these new 939 opterons even exist is to soften up the Opteron name to professionals looking for solid solutions with greater testing for mission critical apps. Opterons aren't simply made for servers. Xeons and Opterons are in many workstation class computers as well.

The 939 opterons are not a mistake, and should only cannibalize sales in the enthusiast sector (namely us).

Product branding and marketing often play roles in the pricing made with products. Many would find it strange that the X2s are priced higher than the Opterons. Consider that the actual cost of advertising between the two may make for a more expensive product.

I think that AMD is simply offering alternatives to professional consumers.

Think about it. Wouldn't you guys be prone to buy opterons in the future after having a good experience with them? How many here are first time Opty owners? Owning an Athlon XP or standard A64 probably won't cut it anymore for you guys right?

Well, seeing as how I have not gotten my mobo or other components to piece this rig together yet...I'm a bit surprised at all these rumors.

I'm prone to believe in Dave_Graham on these rumors and cannot see AMD doing something like this, especially since they make more money from people like us who purchase these things OEM or Retail, as opposed to at cost to server integrators.

I am looking to finally get my motherboard and heatsink this coming week, and that will leave me with the PSU, RAM, HDDs and Optical drives for later.

I should have everything put together by January :)

Long time to wait to finally put this bad boy to use. This OPTERON has a secret place in my house where I've hidden it, so I can't "hurt" it and so it won't be found if someone decides to steal things from my place (happened before).

I'm so eager to put this thing together!

ECLIPSE, I can't wait to start pestering you with questions about OC'ing. :) I will probably be doing everything by air for now. Later on, I will give water cooling or some other solution a try.

ENLIGHTENED ...hurry up and buy it! :)

I built the system in my sig last night and have been doing my first attempt at OC'ing today.

I've got my Opteron 170 at 2.6Ghz on stock voltage.

Ran memtest with no problems and used OCCT to max out the CPU for the 30 minute test. The temps hovered around 40C during the test and stay around 33C on idle.

I'm sure I could probably go higher but 2.6Ghz was all I wanted. So far I'm very satisfied with this chip.

I also am in the market for a dual core AMD processor, for my Multi Media PC, I recently built. My system is currently a AMD 64 3000+ running at HTT4 250 fsb, 2x 512Mb Corsair Pro pc 3200 LL ram, (Timings 2.5-3-3-7. 1T command rate), on an MSI K8N Neo 4 Plat SLI board, Latest Bios, I am mainly wanting to know the differences between the X2 series & the opteron 170 & if the differences in FSB make a difference i.e. X2 64=2000 FSB while Opteron 170=1000 is there a performance difference or is it the same fsb just listed different? 1 more thing, would the Opteron 170 support the SSE3 & NX extensions as well?

Thanks in Advance=)

same ht link speed, jsut listed different. it's 1000mhz, but ddr, so some people like to say 2000mhz

also, the opteron will support anything any revE a64 core will ;)

i was hoping so, so then it seems that the Opty 170 is the way to go with my setup w/o many additional changes ,(with the 10 x Multi),as opposed to an amd 64 4400, 200 less mhz initially but 2-1 mb caches per core also seems like 2.6 Ghz is pretty much a given on these chips,& that would suit me just fine seems like quite a deal to me also might help my raid 1 array perform better as well :D

1RadDad said:
i was hoping so, so then it seems that the Opty 170 is the way to go with my setup w/o many additional changes ,(with the 10 x Multi),as opposed to an amd 64 4400, 200 less mhz initially but 2-1 mb caches per core also seems like 2.6 Ghz is pretty much a given on these chips,& that would suit me just fine seems like quite a deal to me also might help my raid 1 array perform better as well :D

Not to mention $120 less than the 4400+ ;).

Does anyone have any experiences with the stepping i just received

CCBWE 0534spmw

Robert

Damn...alright. I think it might be time to whore myself.
At the very least, I think I'm gonna scrape up enough for a 170, sell the current rig and live out of the laptop 'til I can build a new box around it.
I really really hate you guys. Envy is getting the best of me.

ENLIGHTENED...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (evil laugh)

FINALLY...you've joined the dark side :)

Eager to hear how you put yours together. Hurry up and join me so we can both find the best deals on components :)

I already have a case and CPU...so you need to catch up! :)

CUSL2MAN said:
Does anyone have any experiences with the stepping i just received

CCBWE 0534spmw

Robert

Robert,

I think that's newer stock. I'd imagine it'd be within the same realm as 0530s due to the closer week batch.

dave

dave_graham said:
Robert,

I think that's newer stock. I'd imagine it'd be within the same realm as 0530s due to the closer week batch.

dave

Mine's an 0530, and look at my sig for results. You should do pretty well on that stepping.

what would be considered the 2nd best stepping/week behind the 0530's? I have to choose out of a limited group tomorrow and would like some fall back recomendations if there are no 0530's. Im guessing the earlier the better? So far the 0534's seems to max out at around 2.6 before having to go over 1.5Vcore and im kinda hoping to break 2700 before going over 1.5Vcore. Any recomendations?

dave...... is your price:

OSA170CDBOX BOX Stock $382.00 Model 170, Dual Core, 2.0Ghz, 939pin, 110W, 2 MB Cache, step E6

including shipping or not? if not, how much to ship?

Are they still shipping the 0530s? I am looking at 170s now also... hrm... I would love to hit 2.8 with a dualy. :) I think my GTXs would like it also. lol

sadly, i believe the 0530's are gone. 0534's and newer are all that seems to be coming now...

oh well... I take it those are nor OCing as well? How about the 175s? Just wasting $? I have the funds for a 180 - but those do not seems to OC any better... I am thinking I might just save a little more and get an FX57.. hrm... on water I should get 3.3ghz out of it... I would think.. :) that's a LOT of dough to blow on a processor... but then again I just dropped 8 bills on video cards. heh. ....and, I like ramen.. I do.. it's yummy. ;)

rev hahahaha

ramen diet as a function of funding your PC eh? hahaha

I only laugh because I know how dire that situation is. 800 on video card...that's the dreaded step that will come probably after xmas for me. I think I'm looking to shell it out for a BFG 7800 GTX 512mb. One card for now. Lotta dough I know...hopefully they'll be a price break/discount/rebate somewhere in the near future, if there is a god with mercy :)

Other than that...I'm still wrestling...air cooling or water...decisions decisions.

I'm set on the DFI Lanparty SLI expert. 2GB G.SKILL ram.

The PSU is now up for debate again, after reading some new reviews...so I'm stuck on getting PSU, cooling issues, and drives.

Ugh...wish I had a better budget.

Hoping I can get my OPTY up to 2.6-2.8 range without too much work. I'd be perfectly happy with a 2.6. We shall see...

About the water...from what I've been reading unless its a real expensive super hardcore setup it probably won't yeild higher oc's, although you could acheive the results without as much noise. Also it opens up the doors to really, really bad problems...there are just too many threads about expensive shit going up in smoke due to little mistakes in setting up a w/c...
So its looking like I'm gonna have to scoop up the 170 around xmas and build around it over the next few months. Assuming there are any 170's to be had by then, that is.
Did ya read something bad about the OCZ psu? Link me if ya did man, was gonna get that one myself.

enlightenedby42 said:
About the water...from what I've been reading unless its a real expensive super hardcore setup it probably won't yeild higher oc's, although you could acheive the results without as much noise. Also it opens up the doors to really, really bad problems...there are just too many threads about expensive shit going up in smoke due to little mistakes in setting up a w/c...
So its looking like I'm gonna have to scoop up the 170 around xmas and build around it over the next few months. Assuming there are any 170's to be had by then, that is.
Did ya read something bad about the OCZ psu? Link me if ya did man, was gonna get that one myself.

I have a powerstream 520 and it works fine for OCing my 165 with a DFI Ultra-D board.

Yano, I wonder if the Thermaltake power supply I have is an overclocking problem. Volts do fluctuate a bit, but I've always heard that's an Asus problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back