Purchase new CPU/MB or try to find a LGA 1155?

bagelnagel

Weaksauce
Basically the title of the thread - I have a NIB 3770k, and am building a new rig (I can post specs if desired, everything is either on the way except for CPU/MB). However, finding decent/reputable LGA 1155 Z77 motherboards is pretty hard. The only one of note that PC Hound can find is the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, and the reviews are spotty for that one. Should I:

Bite the bullet and get the ASRock Extreme4

or

Try and sell the 3770k and get a new CPU/MB?

Thanks!

bagelnagel

Last edited:
I ran an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with my 3770K in sig for over 2 years @ 4.8Ghz without a problem...It's a very stable board, never gave me a bunch of trouble, and was stupid easy to get my 3770K to 4.8Ghz on it...

Now, I always felt my 3770K was being held back @ 4.8Ghz, but that wasn't a fault of the Extreme4..It wasn't designed to do what I was attempting to do with it..I replaced it with an MSI Z77 MPower, which I have extremely mixed emotions about..

It is an extremely picky board, and I mean PICKY with everything!..Change a ram setting, your OC is hosed as the board resets..Change a voltage too low? Your OC is hosed as the board resets...Some of their later Beta BIOS releases helped, but if I had to do it again I would preferred the ~2weeks of nonstop tweaking and cussing the MPower it took to get the extra 200Mhz I pulled out of my 3770K back then said 200Mhz of speed.

sell it and buy a 5820k

unless you don't need the horsepower

Personally my Sandy Bridge (MSI P67) mobo had become unusable (too many bugs and glitches and stability issues when overclocking, and a 2500k @ stock is absolutely NOT acceptable to me in 2015) so I picked up a LGA 1150 mobo and a 4790k. Might be a bit silly with Skylake coming out so soon I know but I don't wanna overclock anymore (hence why I picked a factory OC'd CPU and not a 4690k or something) and I kinda doubt Skylake will make a big difference in gaming (especially in 1440p and above). Plus, newer games will make use of 4 cores and Hyperthreading so I can see the 4790k holding its own for a while.

I do like the low TDP of Skylake though but oh well. I also didn't want to have to buy new RAM as DDR4 is pricey... I don't know about the resale value of a 3770k if you go down that route but selling the Sandy stuff was really easy. After all it still is a beast if you are an overclocker.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Really depends on how much that Extreme4 is going to cost you.

Unless you're getting it cheaply as in very nearly free, i would consider a newer LGA1150 build. The Z97 chipset has some fairly nice IO-related improvements over the Z77 chipset like more USB 3.0, SATA6, and PCIe lanes. You'd also be able to flip that 3770k and eat up most of the cost of a 4790K while you're at it.

... or you could wait for Skylake ;)

The Asrock Extreme 4 will set you back ~$145 at the Egg.

I'm not sure how you are seeing spotty reviews??

Egg has it as a 4/5 with ~1,200 reviews.
Amazon has it as a 4.3/5 with ~200 reviews

What are you going to get if you sell it? A 4790k?? 5820k??

Moving from Ivy Bridge to Haswell gave no observable tangible benefit, and moving from Haswell to Devil&#8217;s Canyon was equally as non-descript except for a 10% rise in F1 2013 average frame rates. The 4.7 GHz i7-4790K offered a small <5% increase in BF4 minimum frame rates using dual GTX 770s
The take home message is this: Devil&#8217;s Canyon, specifically the i7-4790K, is a good way to get a ~14% increase in CPU-limited performance metrics over the Haswell i7. It would seem to offer higher limits for overclocking, although your mileage may vary. For Ivy Bridge users, the rewards are even greater. However, gamers at 1920x1080 resolutions gain very little.
link

The take home has been the same since Sandy Bridge. There are no huge gains to be had for gaming right now by upgrading your CPU. That is why a lot of people are still rocking 2600ks.

Buy the Extreme 4 and save your coin until there is something really worth it. If not, you will likely spend $200-$300 after selling the 3770k in the cpu/mobo upgrade for a very small improvement in gaming.

Last edited:
A lot of the recent reviews on Egg show a number of DOA boards. Also, internally to [H], the review wasn't gushing:

link

I don't want to wait for Skylake, and DX12 sounds like it will be beneficial for the 3770k. I was able to find a mini-ITX LGA 1155 board on Amazon, that got a gold [H], the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. It's a bit more pricy than the Extreme4. But this just means that I'll have a beast for a HTPC whenever I decide to get a Skylake and Pascal setup. I changed my setup on PC Hound, let me know what you think: https://pchound.com/k5YWzZ/

Last edited:
I would just buy a z77 board from someone on the for sale forums here. Upgrading to a new chipset isn't going to do much for you.

I have a Sabertooth Z77 with my 3770k and just checked Amazon and there is a vendor selling one for $500+
That is insane price gouging. I think I paid around $220 when it was a current model.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-SABERTOO...qid=1436266692&sr=8-1&keywords=sabertooth+z77

there a few 1155 boards on Amazon ranging in price from $60 to $200 (they go up to $1100 for a used board, but that is just retarded)

Yeah, pricing on there (and other places) for ATX Z77 boards is bonkers.

I just had some awesome Z77 MSI boards the other week, sold them though.

Back