Pump wired with relay from PSU....

98EXL

Gawd
I couldn't find any real good threads about this, but is there a thread or a kit explaining how to wire a relay into your PSU so your pump turns on with the PC?

Thanks

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I know how to get the relay to work, wire it up, etc, I was wondering more simply where to tap into the PSU to pull power and/or singal wire for the relay.

you simply use the 12V and ground wire from one of the normal 4 pin molex connectors to run the coil of the relay.

i chopped the male molex off of a fan that i didn't need, wired the bare ends into the relay, and plugged the molex into the PSU as per normal. it controls both my pump and my dedicated PSU just fine.

i run a seperate power cord for the 120VAC, rather than digging around inside of my PSU. i think that you just splice in to the 120VAC solder pads in the PSU if you actually want to run it that way.

the easy but overpriced way: http://www.sharkacomputers.com/aswapucounwr.html

check the .pdf for instalation, you do it the same way with whatever pump you choose to use.

I used a car relay in my home made system.
12V & ground for the relay from molex connector.
The other side is just a switch so AC or DC does not matter as long as the pump is pulling less amps than what the relay (switch side) is rated for.
Also switches a 220 Volt fan!
:)

thank you for the links gentlemen.....that is exactly what I was looking for!

~98EXL

Back