Public service announcement about SSDs for people with lots of external storage

Morlock

Limp Gawd
NO, you will NOT see the gains that people predict, at least, not on recent versions of Windows, because in its infinite wisdom, Microsoft made it so Windows waits, frozen, for irrelevant drives that you aren't even trying to access to spin up before it will let you use the SSD.

Really the only thing my SSD sped up for me was boot times, which impacts my life for about 5 minutes, once a week or so.

The only real perk for me so far has been that it didn't consume an SATA slot, so I have it left over for another mechanical drive. I've seen pretty much 0 perceived performance increase.

Too bad for you. I'm seeing big gains.
(How exactly was your rant a "public service" ?)

NO, you will NOT see the gains that people predict, at least, not on recent versions of Windows, because in its infinite wisdom, Microsoft made it so Windows waits, frozen, for irrelevant drives that you aren't even trying to access to spin up before it will let you use the SSD.

Really the only thing my SSD sped up for me was boot times, which impacts my life for about 5 minutes, once a week or so.

The only real perk for me so far has been that it didn't consume an SATA slot, so I have it left over for another mechanical drive. I've seen pretty much 0 perceived performance increase.

Protip: put a shortcut for the SSD on your desktop or open the drive from the Run dialog box. Opening My Computer will require all present drives to update their status, causing them to spin up.

I have no issue with Windows, an SSD, and externals.
Maybe it's the programs you are using that need to parse every drive before opening. I don't have that issue with the programs and games I use.

You might want to run some benchmarks, hardware tests or check settings to make sure they are optimal because you should see improvements in almost all operations.

This is just a rant. I have non-SSD drives attached to my system, and of course occasionally the system will hitch a bit when opening up Explorer or whatever while those drives spin up from being asleep. The other 99% of the time, I enjoy all the benefits of the SSD.

trump_wrong_gif

I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my optane is.

These days I only tolerate spinning rust in large arrays of networked storage. They have lots of ram and other caching mechanisms to buffer the suck.

Too bad for you. I'm seeing big gains.
(How exactly was your rant a "public service" ?)
...because some don't see big gains?

If somebody has a lot of attached storage, they should take all the gushing over SSDs with a block of salt.

Ignorant my arse. I've been using Windows since you were in short pants. Windows sitting there like a retard waiting for a bunch of external drives to spin up is not new.

...because some don't see big gains?

If somebody has a lot of attached storage, they should take all the gushing over SSDs with a block of salt.

Ignorant my arse. I've been using Windows since you were in short pants. Windows sitting there like a retard waiting for a bunch of external drives to spin up is not new.

LOL.

Firstly, the drive spin-down behavior that's causing your problem is user configurable. You can turn off that power saving feature if you want, eliminating the problem.

You can also attach your spinning disks to some kind of network attached device, thus eliminating the problem.

But even if you do neither of those, then fine, when you open up Explorer after an idle period your system will hitch while the drives spin up. Once they are spinning though, you're back to experiencing the full effect of having a SSD. If that's not your personal experience, and you experience more frequent delays that happen even when the system is in active use, then you need to look at your own rig because maybe your problems are caused by something else.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then obviously your final recourse is to come onto a tech focused website and whine.

So there are no performance gains from SSDs because explorer takes time to load because your drives have spun down? Ok..... You must not run any applications or open any large files then. If that's the case, sounds like an ssd doesn't really fit YOUR use case (lack of use case?). But anyone else actually using their computer will notice the increased performance.

Back