Public kiosk on the cheap?

jimthebob

Gawd
Long story short, I've got a few PC's laying around at home and would like to donate one to work for a specific purpose. I would like to wall mount a monitor/TV in our lobby and have it display various things such as current weather/weather forecast, daily activities, any changes to the activity schedule, perhaps randomly cycle through some pics, stuff like that.

What's the best way to do this with basically zero budget for software? I had thought of making a Power Point slideshow that could be updated daily but that requires having someone update it every morning, transfer it over, and restart the slideshow.

Any other options out there? It'd be nice if I could just have a few directories on the PC or a server that are monitored and whenever we drop a new pic or document or whatnot into it, or remove one, the display updates accordingly. Thoughts/suggestions?

Look at this http://porteus-kiosk.org and it is free and open source

Thank you for the link and paying attention to my slightly older thread!

I looked at it and it looks like it's more of a public internet access terminal than the information/update/pic/document streamer with live updates I'm looking for.

Edit: Apparently I was blind when I looked at it. I took another look and it may work for what I want. Double thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't a Rasp Pi be perfect for this kind of application?

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't a Rasp Pi be perfect for this kind of application?

Well yeah if the OP needed hardware. Perhaps you're missing the part where the OP already has spare hardware and just needs the software to do what he wants.

Well yeah if the OP needed hardware. Perhaps you're missing the part where the OP already has spare hardware and just needs the software to do what he wants.
Fair enough. The software on both would be pretty much the same I'd think.
We have a couple of Pis running similar displays at work.

Back