PUBG to Start Using Ping Times to Pool Matches

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
That guy with the 7ms ping got you down because you are facing him with your mighty 50ms ping and expecting to get the drop on him? Fret no more! The PUBG devs are going now testing implementing ping-pooled matching. Awesome pings are prioritized, and suck pings, well, I guess are not. I think?

Unlike the method considered earlier, we are going to divide the matching pool depending on ping. This means that the users with lower pings will be prioritized during matchmaking. The team is expecting to improve the overall play experience by splitting the matching pool rather than restricting connection depending on ping. Preparations are underway to test this method in some regions, with first trials planned to start this week. Specific dates will be shared when ready.

China #1?

31ed8e612a0406bd19687503f9d817b0.jpg

How’s this going to work in squads? Is it based on the highest ping in the group? Because if it is that will be aids. They just need to block vpn access and region lock China instead of these half measures.

How’s this going to work in squads? Is it based on the highest ping in the group? Because if it is that will be aids. They just need to block vpn access and region lock China instead of these half measures.
The PUBG devs have a deal with a VPN provider in China, they aren't going to block their customers who paid for a game and are then paying for a subscription service with a company they're partnered with.

Bluehole studios contracted with Tencent to provide the chinese PUBG servers, Tencent is also a VPN service which is what they're using to connect to the NA/EU servers.

I love this game... but at the same time, fuck this game and the devs. Even after they loudly announced they've "banned 10s of thousands of accounts" I haven't played a single match in over a week where I wasn't annihilated by some wall hacker, fast heal, no recoil asain fuck stain of a hacker. Literally every.... fucking.... game. Reporting it does nothing.

Even when I join buddies on squad play, same thing. the north american servers are overrun pretty much any hour of the day with chinese players hacking blatantly. So fuck em'... the company wants to know why concurrent users is dropping off? It's because of the hacking. Watching the death cam every time, how despite a few walls or trees in the way, they know every single time where I'm at even though i'm 100 yards away and can't hear/see me. Region lock china... plain and simple their entire culture doesn't seem to have a problem with cheating, since every hack I've seen is from ChangYueZang or YingPowWhoever

Going back to BF1 or GTA5 for the time being since at least you can get some honest clean gaming in most of the time.

This would be a good change but doesn't actually solve their main problem which is rampant cheaters ruining the gameplay experience for anyone even mildly interested in this game. The streamers I watch have abandoned the 3rd person view due to rampant cheating and even in first person they run into cheaters almost every other game now. This kills any hype or buzz about the game.

My general impression of it is that Blue Hole pays lip service to dealing with cheaters while not actually moving to combat the real cheats that are out there. Things like 1 second heals, no weapon recoil, etc should not be possible on a properly programmed multiplayer game. The last games I remember that were so half-assed and had such stupid cheats available were The Division and For Honor. So, while this might solve the China #1 problem, I think the cheating problem is much bigger than just the Chinese player base.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I'm not sure this is a good thing. Originally they were planning on outright blocking players if their ping was too high. Instead, they will give priority to people who have good pings. Giving priority to 80 players that are ready with low ping doesn't mean they won't block 20 more players coming in that have high ping if there are openings and no more low ping players. Maybe this will encourage people to play on servers closer to their region, if it means they can join matches faster.

Blocking is better but it probably affected the ability to quickly build matches.

This would be a good change but doesn't actually solve their main problem which is rampant cheaters ruining the gameplay experience for anyone even mildly interested in this game. The streamers I watch have abandoned the 3rd person view due to rampant cheating and even in first person they run into cheaters almost every other game now. This kills any hype or buzz about the game.

My general impression of it is that Blue Hole pays lip service to dealing with cheaters while not actually moving to combat the real cheats that are out there. Things like 1 second heals, no weapon recoil, etc should not be possible on a properly programmed multiplayer game. The last games I remember that were so half-assed and had such stupid cheats available were The Division and For Honor. So, while this might solve the China #1 problem, I think the cheating problem is much bigger than just the Chinese player base.
Of course it's bigger than just the Chinese player base, the problem is the chinese farmers that grind out lootboxes and then sell things on the steam store.

Honestly this isn't much different than you browsing a game like unreal for the lowest ping server you can find. Now PubG is just going to 'sorta' do it for you. This should have been a feature from the launch, and just shows how big the game got before they actually had a chance to do much with it.

I don't play PUBG but what's to prevent someone intentionally manipulating their ping time to get in a high ping match then turning it down once the match has started?

Reactions: Rahh
like this
The streamers I watch have abandoned the 3rd person view due to rampant cheating and even in first person they run into cheaters almost every other game now.

Sorry for my ignorance but could you explain how 3rd or 1st person has any bearing on running into cheaters?

I don't play PUBG but what's to prevent someone intentionally manipulating their ping time to get in a high ping match then turning it down once the match has started?
Maybe it's more to eliminate the Chinese players on NA servers as they can't fake a low ping?

Or you can just play Fortnite and not have these issues.

Fortnite is cool, but I like the more 'realistic' PUBG and not the cartoony look. Just a personal preference. Both are fun games, but I prefer PUBG. I've had a few games with obvious hackers, but 95% of the time, I'm dying from someone better than me.

Back