Psystar Ships A System

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to mkozak8350, we all get to see what the Psystar Open(3) actually looks like. Get a good look, these guys are still in court with Apple, this might be the only one you ever get to see.

Hm...I don't know what I was expecting...but it sure wasn't...a PC.

Psystar pretty much is selling a "hackintosh." You can't download updates from Apple on it without totally borking it.

If you want real compatibility, get an EFI-X module along with a recommended motherboard and you'll have a generic PC that an unmodified, retail OS X disc will recognize as a real Mac.

Psystar pretty much is selling a "hackintosh." You can't download updates from Apple on it without totally borking it.

If you want real compatibility, get an EFI-X module along with a recommended motherboard and you'll have a generic PC that an unmodified, retail OS X disc will recognize as a real Mac.

From their website:

The highly extensible Open(3) Computer is a configuration of PC hardware capable of running unmodified OS X Leopard kernels. All known Leopard software works flawlessly including the built-in Software Update utility.

By way I was running OSX on a dell mini and it updated just fine.

...the same thing I was, poop in a box.

(which is what the warranty is worth at this point ;) )

Like Psystar or not...everyone hopes they win ;)

At least it is not a shit in a white box with an Apple logo on it ;)

Hm...I don't know what I was expecting...but it sure wasn't...a PC.

I was about to say the same thing but then I realized that Mac's are PC's. The only difference is that Mac's run OSX and PC's don't (not commercially supported anyway). So when Jobs finally leaves the company and some real business sense comes to Apple they will finally start selling OSX for non Apple hardware. I will still use windows though :p

Looks like a poor attempt...It is not recognizing the CPU properly, which means it is probably using 1 or 2 cores instead of all four, would have to see the resource chart.

Needs more polish, but it's nice that it's cheap and boots right up...btw, typing on this real Mac keyboard in this classroom sucks ass and it looks filthy.

I believe the Psystars use EFI emulation, so updates and reinstalling if you need to should work just fine

it's good alternative for someone who wants a mac without the premium (and not tech savy enough to build one)

lol, you guys notice google is circulating Psystar ads here, I just noticed on pop up here at the top of the page.

i love that mac users need to be graphically told "put batteries in mouse."

I was about to say the same thing but then I realized that Mac's are PC's. The only difference is that Mac's run OSX and PC's don't (not commercially supported anyway). So when Jobs finally leaves the company and some real business sense comes to Apple they will finally start selling OSX for non Apple hardware. I will still use windows though :p

I would never count on that occuring. No the jobs leaving part, but them opening the OS up for every system. If they tried that it would be as unstable as windows 9X and would kill off their market in no time flat. Their OS isn't designed for every piece of hardware like windows, it is designed for 2 or 3 different configurations.

Looks like a poor attempt...It is not recognizing the CPU properly, which means it is probably using 1 or 2 cores instead of all four, would have to see the resource chart.

Its using all 4... Thats how all COre 2 Quads are recognized in Leopard.. I would know. :rolleyes:

Until I can find a USB/Serial adapter that is as dependable/just works as well as a normal Serial, I will have one on every laptop I own.

Amen to that.....when all else fails you NEED to be able to console in directly.

I would never count on that occuring. No the jobs leaving part, but them opening the OS up for every system. If they tried that it would be as unstable as windows 9X and would kill off their market in no time flat. Their OS isn't designed for every piece of hardware like windows, it is designed for 2 or 3 different configurations.

You make a good point. I must admit sometimes I wonder if Apple will even release another OS? Will it be OSX in another 5, 10, 15 years? Is Apple even capable of writing an OS? Do they still have enough talent on staff for that type of task? Maybe Apple will just go to Linux?

$240 for that EFi-X? Holy hell!

Yeah, I can do the same thing with a copy of Chameleon bootloader, a USB stick, and an hour of my time............. Without such a strict compatibility list. And it'll still install system updates without needing to run shell scripts to delete power management files, just like EFi-X.

Fair enough point. I just get aggravated when people bash Apples machines without ever owning one. Its not about the parts inside (as we know they are all the same as other manufactures), its about the buidl quality and the way the hardware and software all work so perfectly together. You will never really understand until you own one.

They where all I ever had until the PC gaming/hardware bug caught me and I built the rig in my sig. Even now with Vista64 as my main OS, it pales in comparison to how polished and slick OS X is, and how things just work with the absolute minimum of effort. Its truly awesome, but the majority of people who buy them aren't really computer people, so they don't get to appreciate them.

I find myself in an interesting position in these threads. I absolutely love Apple's computers, and at the same time I love my custom built PC. Not many people can say that.

Clearly never owned one...

Worth every penny IMHO.

I think the real reason people hate on Macs is that Apple doesn't offer what alot of us want, which is an expandable midrange system (sort of like a small version of the Mac Pro with desktop-level components as opposed to server/workstation) - A Mac isn't that ridiculously priced compared to top-end PC gear, however, Apple seems to offer 3 types of system.... Small form factor/basically nonexpandable; All-in-one; and high-end workstation. And alot of what makes a Mac a Mac, aside from a well engineered chassis, is the OS. Not the motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc. inside; that game is long over since they've switched to x86 architechture.

That's why alot of us go out of our way to run Mac OS on mid-range and lower-end PCs and notebooks (especially netbooks). That, and it's always a fun way to learn some UNIX terminal commands (or in my case brush up on them).

I've got one of the full size G5 towers and it stays in my closet. I don't use it simply because there's just not enough compatibility for the stuff I enjoy doing with my PC.

Hmmm... I should probably post it in fs/ft.

Even now with Vista64 as my main OS, it pales in comparison to how polished and slick OS X is, and how things just work with the absolute minimum of effort. Its truly awesome, but the majority of people who buy them aren't really computer people, so they don't get to appreciate them.

You should try the Windows 7 beta on a second partition or a seperate machine. It's not perfect, but some of the GUI enhancements are quite useful, especially the way it handles multiple windows on the screen. It's still Windows, but I get a slightly Mac-like feeling using it.

You should try the Windows 7 beta on a second partition or a seperate machine. It's not perfect, but some of the GUI enhancements are quite useful, especially the way it handles multiple windows on the screen. It's still Windows, but I get a slightly Mac-like feeling using it.

I have been running Windows 7 since the public beta (7000) and I love it. I also love Vista, aswell as OS X.

I don't pick sides.

Although, having extensive experience with all 3 OS's, Vista and 7 have nothing on OS X when it comes to the GUI... no contest IMO.

As you can see from my sig I dual boot Linux on my netbook along with 7... no body is left out here. Except for maybe XP.... which I despise. :p

I have been running Windows 7 since the public beta (7000) and I love it. I also love Vista, aswell as OS X.

I don't pick sides.

Although, having extensive experience with all 3 OS's, Vista and 7 have nothing on OS X when it comes to the GUI... no contest IMO.

As you can see from my sig I dual boot Linux on my netbook along with 7... no body is left out here. Except for maybe XP.... which I despise. :p

I'm pretty much the same way. I've owned 3 Mac systems (with OSX Tiger) on them: a powermac G3 (upgraded to G4), a Mac Mini, and an iBook G4. Though I prefer (and use) Windows Vista every day at home, the only bad thing I can say about Apples OS is that Apple ties it to "their" hardware. The GUI is nice, it's compatible with the programs I work with (mainly Photoshop), and it works well.

Of course, I feel the same way about Vista...it looks nice, compatible with the programs I use, AND it works well, also. I don't think one of the OS'es is much "better" than the other.

Back