PSUs that will work with stepped UPS (approx sinewave)?

Nielo TM

Gawd
Time has come to upgrade my aging rig and to retire my faithful Corsair HX520, which worked perfectly with my APC 900 Pro UPS. Unfortunately, it's a stepped UPS that approximates sinewave. I've read stories that modern PSUs do not play well with stepped UPS. In some cases, PSU shutting down when the UPS switches to battery.

Could someone please recommend a PSU (around 500 watts) that's compatible with Ryzen build and stepped UPS? Money isn't a major issue since I tend to keep PSU for 10-12 years. But nothing overly expensive.

Thanks

Last edited:
I recommend picking the most efficient psu in your price range and appropriate Wattage size.
Unless you frequently use important spreadsheets or software for work, what is the purpose of a ups?

Have been using my corsair hx650 since day 1 2500K release Jan 2011, no issues here and no ups in use.
Can not recall losing power once either.

Although I live in London, power quality in my area is not great. Get dips and sometimes short power cunts. Do use my PC for important work hence the UPS.

Haven't had any issues with a decent PSU (Seasonic, Corsair, etc) and stepped UPSes.

From what I've researched so far, it's a mixed bag. For an example, Seasonic S12-II 520 and M12-II 620 won't work with stepped UPS, but the S12-II 430 will (despite all three being S12-II range). This is why I need confirmation. I need model numbers that'll work with stepped UPS.

So far both Seasonic M12II EVO 520W and Seasonic S12II-430W will work with stepped UPS.

Last edited:
Not working would be such a small exception to the rule that I would not worry about it.

Although I live in London, power quality in my area is not great. Get dips and sometimes short power cunts. Do use my PC for important work hence the UPS.

I hate it when my power has a short cunt.

I haven't had any PSUs not work with my Old Beige Backups 850. It's stepped sine.

Get a good psu with 10yr warranty, test ups, replace ups if needed. Don't cheap out on psu, technically any modern active PFC psu may not consider stepped waves as "correct" power, some are pickier than others (high power server/redundant ones HATE stepped in my experience) but anything good today has active PFC.

If your ups is as old as the computer and you have brownouts etc often, it needs a new battery by now anyways. Here in the states the cyberpower 1350 and 1500VA "PFC" versions often goes on sale cheaper than the old style "AVR" versions, ~$120 recently.

Thanks for all the replies. The UPS (APC Pro 900) was purchased in 2013. I'll order the 550W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Due to odd pricing in the UK, I've ended up getting the Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold. Was only £25more than 550 watts and £20 more than 650 watts version.

I've tested it twice with APC 900 Pro Stepped Sine Wave UPS and it does indeed work. There was no buzzing either to my surprise. Not sure about the other Focus Plus models, but 850 has no issues with my UPS.

Again, thanks for all the help and advice

3ihbccS.jpg

Last edited:
Back