PSU wattage rating

Macho

Weaksauce

Several PSU's are load tested. Only 60 % loading caused the PSU to fail. They did not just get pulled down to zero
volts but cleared a fuse or component blew.

Here is the link to watch that video.

Yeah, I have an 850w that I can't even run a pentium G4560 (53w) and a 280x (225w) with an NVME.... I mean, I'm not even pushing 300w total and it shuts down playing minecraft. I'm not sure where they come up with the ratings but low cost PSU's way exaggerate what they can handle. This is why I try to avoid them nowadays.

Budget PSU wattage ratings are usually based on peak power output (i.e., what it can handle in short bursts) whereas quality PSU wattage ratings are based on sustained load power output.

Budget PSU wattage ratings are usually based on peak power output (i.e., what it can handle in short bursts) whereas quality PSU wattage ratings are based on sustained load power output.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Computer-Power-Supply-Testers/168059/bn_1642015

I got out my Power Supply Tester, I bought, and I have the continual beep, when my -12 volts is only 10.9 volts, and my
3.3 volts is only, 2.7 volts. The PS or power good signal comes on in 360 ms. Since it gives the power good signal the computer boots up, but I can see that I am a little low in voltage since I have used my tester. No one else would know.

I wonder what kind of fails I would have. The power supply is an Antec ea-750 that is hefty and weighs 5 pounds.
Do you think it would be a risk still using it? A little out of spec plus or minus 5 %. Lower voltage and the result is a high amperage draw.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You may want to check your voltages with a digital volt meter. The tester can be wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Computer-Power-Supply-Testers/168059/bn_1642015

I got out my Power Supply Tester, I bought, and I have the continual beep, when my -12 volts is only 10.9 volts, and my
3.3 volts is only, 2.7 volts. The PS or power good signal comes on in 360 ms. Since it gives the power good signal the computer boots up, but I can see that I am a little low in voltage since I have used my tester. No one else would know.

I wonder what kind of fails I would have. The power supply is an Antec ea-750 that is hefty and weighs 5 pounds.
Do you think it would be a risk still using it? A little out of spec plus or minus 5 %. Lower voltage and the result is a high amperage draw.

-12x.95 equals -11.4. Your 12v reading exceeds the 5% spec variance always quoted as the standard. 3.3x.95 equals 3.135 volts. Your PSU is putting out 2.7 volts. Your PSU is significantly out of spec. I certainly would not use it on a system you cared anything about. As drescherjm suggested, you should at least test it with a multimeter to confirm the tester you bought on ebay is reasonably accurate.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back