PSU tookout some of my components!

FireBean

Gawd
For some reason, I feel then need to express my "experience" on this.

I recently purchased a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W. At a wicked good price if I might add :D. Well, I was at a Lan Party recently and it was FREAKING COLD, 10°F outside. I know that I needed to let all the components get to room temp before taking it out to the car. I figured that If I did that, then everything can handled a 60°F drop and survive. Boy was I wrong. I put the computer in my car and not 10 seconds later, POP!

Aah hell. What the freak was that?! I got it home and power it on. I get the weirdest POST code I have ever heard. 1 long, 4 short, pause 1 short.

I start removing everything except ram, cpu motherboard and psu. Still getting the error code. Still did it even when no ram was present. Oh no, PLEASE DON’T LET IT BE MY CPU!

BAM! Some pins were welded to the CPU. I started to think that it was ESD. So I purchased a used P67 Sabertooth and 2500k. It all powers on except my 7950 is not lighting up the screen. So, I tried a GT210. IT is able to light up the monitor in BIOS, but fails in windows. Even in Safe Mode. So, I got a friend to loan my a 560ti for testing. It will not power the screen either.

So, I am the point to where I need to take my multimeter to my PSU’s 12v line and test with another PSU.

So tell me, If it turns out that the PSU did pop a cap or something, resulting in damage to my hardware, is there any chance that I’ll get compensated for the damages? I really doubt it, but here’s to hoping.

I'll have to post some pics when I get back home after work.

The Silencer Mk IIIs (not the IIs) are built by Seasonic (yours, lower wattage) and Super Flower (higher wattage), so the whole line should be good quality. So sorry to hear that yours potentially (but not necessarily; might have been a MB component) let through damaging voltage.

Unless there is something in the warranty/guarantee terms covering damage to other components caused by the power supply--as there often is with surge suppressors & UPSes--you are almost certainly out of luck. As PC Power & Cooling is owned by OCZ, I'd say your luck is even less than that.

Brings to mind the old fortune cookie saying: "when your computer goes "pop", don't eat slop". Erm. Meaning don't turn it on. And yah, let things cool down to room temperature before exposing to below freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
It's possible that it was something on your motherboard that popped, frying your CPU. There would have to have been a huge amount of current going through your CPU to get the pins welded.

The Silencer Mk IIIs (not the IIs) are built by Seasonic (yours, lower wattage) and Super Flower (higher wattage), so the whole line should be good quality. So sorry to hear that yours potentially (but not necessarily; might have been a MB component) let through damaging voltage.

Unless there is something in the warranty/guarantee terms covering damage to other components caused by the power supply--as there often is with surge suppressors & UPSes--you are almost certainly out of luck. As PC Power & Cooling is owned by OCZ, I'd say your luck is even less than that.

Brings to mind the old fortune cookie saying: "when your computer goes "pop", don't eat slop". Erm. Meaning don't turn it on. And yah, let things cool down to room temperature before exposing to below freezing temperatures.

are you certain of this??? pc power and cooling hasnt been seasonic since ocz took over. OCZ uses a company called "great wall" which is chinese and not well known. A once great PSU company PCPowerandCooling has gone downhill since OCZ bought them.

are you certain of this???
Yep. Here is the reference listing. The info on that site is regularly updated and very accurate from what I've seen so far. Have yet to come across a manufacturer listed for a brand that doesn't match up with what's actually the case when a model is tested by a reliable site like HardOCP here or JonnyGuru.

A once great PSU company PCPowerandCooling has gone downhill since OCZ bought them.

I agree in general for sure; when OCZ touches something, quality usually runs out the back door. PCPC (before being touched/bought by OCZ) originally many years ago was well known for quality and PSU innovations.

Although even if the quality of their OEM purchased supplies don't match native-branded Seasonic or Super Flower ones, it quite likely wouldn't be so much less that they would be bad in general. Though haven't much looked into PCPC supplies lately; not interested in OCZ stuff.

Back