PSU suggetions for 580 GTX SLI/i5 2500K setup

Hi:

Would like some recommendations for a good power supply unit that will be able to handle i5 2500K and two 580 gtx SLI (gonna start with one and another later down the road) and couple of other things like optical drives, hard drive, etc. I need something with at least two 8 pin connector and 2 six pin connectors for the two graphics cards. And hopefully a reasonably priced card as I dont wanna spend a fortune. Thanks!

Most likely want to buy from Tigerdirect or newegg

As far as budget: best price/performance combo....nuthin too cheap but nuthin too extensive either..dunno...$100 to $150 if possible!

By the way...also running some a lot of fans and case lighting as I'm gutting an alienware area 51 case. Thanks!

Hi:

Would like some recommendations for a good power supply unit that will be able to handle i5 2500K and two 580 gtx SLI (gonna start with one and another later down the road) and couple of other things like optical drives, hard drive, etc. I need something with at least two 8 pin connector and 2 six pin connectors for the two graphics cards. And hopefully a reasonably priced card as I dont wanna spend a fortune. Thanks!

My gtx 580 uses 2 of the 8 pin connectors. If your going to SLI I suggest you make sure you have 4 of them available in your PSU.

I would also recommend you get a modular PS as well. With so many items to hook up it will make things a lot easier and neater.

Thanks for all your replies. I will write down the PSUs you listed and start shopping for the best deals. I originally intended to keep my 1000 watt OEM Alienware PSU (to save money) but the only probelm is I have four 6 pin connectors.

I don't mind using a 6 to 8 pin converter as long as the card gets ample power to run 100% efficiently. Although I cant SLI without a new PSU, I plan on SLI a year or two down the road anyways.

I will try to get some spec on the OEM PSU and post it. Would like your opinion on whether if its sufficient to run at least one GTX 580 and the sandy bridge.

If I can keep the OEM for now, I think the upgrade will be easy, as alienware did a fine job with the wiring and its really a plug and play with the new parts!

Ok...here are the specifications for the Alienware OEM:

Alienware N1000P-00 1000W 24-pin ATX Power Supply

General Features:
Black color
Output: 1000 Watt
Input: 100 - 240V ~ 14.0A, 50/60 Hz
Large Fan
One (1) 24-pin ATX Connector
Seven (7) Large Molex Connectors
Four (4) Serial ATA Connectors
Four (4) 6-pin PCI Express Connectors
One (1) 4-pin 12-Volt ATX power connector
One (1) 8-pin EPS + 12-Volt power connector
Maximum Combined Power on +5V and +3.3V Output is 150W
Maximum Combined Power on +12VA, +12VB, +12VC, +12VD & +12VE Output is 950W
AC Input connector: IEC320-C19

Specifications:
+5V / 16.0A
+5VFP / 3.0A
+12VA / 18.0A
+12VC / 18.0A
+12VE / 18.0A
-12V / 0.2A
+3.3V / 30.0A
+12VB / 18.0A
+12VD / 18.0A

Let me know if its good enough for GTX 580 SLI setup with i5 2500K or single card.

Also, is there a one 6 pin to one 8 pin converter (meaning SLI is possible with this PSU or is it two 6 pin to one 8 pin converter (which means I need PSU in future).

Everyone has been very helpful...thanks!

Just because you don't have the proper connectors doesn't mean you need a new PSU. Just grab a few 6 to 8 pin adapters and you'll be good to go. That Alienware power supply is more than capable of providing the output necessary.

Back