PSU Sleeving(The Mistakes You Made)!!!!

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I just tried to Sleeving my PSU and everything went wrong. Everything from Molex Connector backwards to cut some wires. Needless to say, I have some stuff that will enter the Closet Of Shame(Pile of dead stuff I am to proud to RMA)

Post some of your Sleeving nightmares, so we can learn from mine and your mistakes. Don't be bashfull !!!!!

So okay tell us your stories.

Pictures are optional considering I don't have a cam or camera.

No horror stories here. I got frozencpu to do mine :D. They sleeve everything, SATA and aux. power connectors too.

geh

just getting them in the right order,

also some of them won't stay full on like the pins don't catch and they come out every so often.

my horror story? I wasted time actually sleeving mine. Whoopdie do. Figured it would take maybe an hour, took more like 4.

I had the same problem, finally bought some more pins and another sleeving kit. Trying to sleeve the PSU was a real B1tch(Sorry don't cuss much Old timer here). That is were the real horror story comes in. Tried to label all the wires and remove the molex and that was a pain. Couldn't get the pins out. I bought more pins and cut the wires after labeling them. Everything was great until I cut to much off the wires. Now I have to lenghten the wires. Lowes here I come.

I think i am going to give up on this project and get another PSU(Cheap one) To try again.

Ness I went thru the same thing. Got my cup of coffee and figured it would be done but the time the first cup was done. HELL NO!!!!!!

2 pots later I was mad and bleeding.

am i the only person that had no troubles when sleeving my power supply. personally i though it was quite easy.it took me around 1 1/2 hours to do my entire power supply, all the connectors and everything and then put them in 3/8 in clearflex tubing to make it look even better.

I decided to cut the ATX connector. You know how long it takes to solder an ATX connector? Hours...

haha yeah, takes a lot of time. first time I tried it with wire loom, looked so easy. put wire in wire loom, zip tie. took me 2 hours, and so many cuts! :(

btw, i really like flag tape and liquad adhesive. It's very nice looking, and most are UV reactive. also, it'll only cost you $4 or so.

It does kind of look like it (at least red elec tape), but than again, if you have something for uv, you can tell the difference

MorfiusX said:
I decided to cut the ATX connector. You know how long it takes to solder an ATX connector? Hours...

why on earth would you do this?

i removed all the pins from my ATX connector but to re-arrange them since my mobo uses a 24 pin ATX-GES powersupply (different pinout)

I decided the best way to do it was to go 1 wire at a time. Cut the wire, put new pin on, and insert back in black molex. Did that 20 times. better part of 3 hours but I think it came out great. After a long night on sleeving my creation finally came out great. No where near what that guy from the Rate my Cables post had.

Only horror story for me was doing it with electrical tape then having to go back and doing it all over again with heat shrink the proper way. God, that took way too long. My lesson learned is: do it right if your gonna do it at all for the look that you wanted.

Anyways, when I was dismantling my molexes and other power connectors, I labbeled each power line that way it wouldn't confuse me, even the ground cables if they were the one closest to the red or the yellow one, incase it mattered as it was my first time sleeving up a PSU which I had ZERO experience to begin with.

In the end after doing it properly with the heat shrinks, it came out exactly how a pro would do it. I'm very happy with how it turned out, and I'm looking forward to my next PSU and sleeving that up along with all other wires in my case with sleeving.

I did an experiment with an old 300 watt PSU and Used electrical tape on all of it. Then I bought some sleeving about 4 months after the fact, when I went to take the tape off, there was sticky crap all over it. The sleeving wouldn't slide on. It was trying push a truck up a hill with flat tires.

Back