PSU replacement for a QPack (standard length optical drives)

AmberClad

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any PSU options for the QPack that could still be used with regular, non-short length DVD drives (like the NEC-3540A)?

any psu will work if you dont mind your drive sticking out, thats what i did :p

if not, youre pretty much SOL. optical drives that are <180mm offer the best fit with normal length atx poiwer supplies which is 150mm. The qpack itself is 350.5mm. Theres your numbers for you to research lenth of optical drives and power supplies.

The NeoPower 480 is a decent choice with it's mobo cables on the left side instead of the right thus giving opticals more room to seat back closer to the PSU. But it isnt like i dont have my gripes about this PSU tho. For starters, the modular connectors arent recessed into the psu. Secondly, it would have been nice if they moved the connectors lower or moved them to the left side completely with the mobo cables.

too bad the right angle connectors wont work with the neopower :\ my pioneer cant go back any further because of the modular connectors and not the molex power connector.

my bad to assume that everyone that owns a qpack wants a modular psu.

MassiveOverkill said:

Hey, thanks for the link. From reading through that, it looks like one guy used a Dell PSU to replace the QPack one and managed to fit it in. I have a 350W Dell/FSP PSU lying around that passed a Folding stress test without breaking a sweat (7 straight days of non-stop Folding), so I might see if that will fit first. If not, I might get a couple of those low profile Molexes plus a Seasonic.

Sorry, I had another question about that QPack PSU. Does anyone know what the specs are for the model(s) that keeps dying? Here're the rail specs on mine, wondering if the specs match:

+3.3V - 31A

+5V - 29A
+5VSB - 2.0A
-5V - 0.3A

+12V1 - 14A
+12V2 - 16A
-12V - 0.8A

I was thinking about powering it up barebones (didn't want to risk my video card, sound card, etc), but if this is one of the known lemon PSUs, I'm not even going to bother with that.

just replace the stock psu and keep it as a backup in case the one youre replacing it with goes bad. there has been a lot of reports of it going bad within a few weeks. also if i remember correctly, the very first batch of qpacks had a mislabeled psu and just changed the sticker to the correct values.

Back