PSU Hum - Corsair AX 1200 - Replacement Alternatives?

paraiso

n00b
I have been having this PSU for a few years now and it is still rock solid and I never had any issue with it. However from day one there was a slight hum coming off it, both in stand-by and operating state. I never cared about this when the computer is on since the fans and speakers diminish it, however recently I started considering alternatives.

From what I have read before, many of the 80 and 90%+ energy-efficiency-certified PSUs exhibit this issue and it is more or less luck of the draw with each unit. Does any of you currently use let's say 1-1.5kW PSU that is completely silent in terms of hum/high-pitch sound, especially in stand-by mode. Any specific models that you are aware of are completely clear of this problem? My grid voltage is 220V at 50Hz (the UK).

Just to add that I am probably overly sensitive to this hum/high-pitch sound, however if I leave the computer in stand-by state with the PSU on, on the next morning my ears seem to be humming also for hours after leaving the room. To be honest, the persistent hum is clearly audible if I put my ears up to 50-60 cm. from the PSU in stand-by mode so I suppose it is something with the capacitors inside that always vibrate if power is connected. In gaming or when the computer is under load the hum probably transfers in some kind of variable coil whine but since then the entire system goes wild also, I care about it only in stand-by mode. Pity it is otherwise an excellent PSU. Many thanks to everyone for the input!

I have the same PSU with the same behavior. It’s actually not being used recently and I’m going to see if they will RMA. It does have a 5-7 year warranty.

Back