PSU high pitched whine related to FPS?

Vyedmic

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

My mate just tried to overclock his newish setup and he managed to get E2200 to 3GHz. He used ASUS P5K-VM without Vdroop mod so he needed to set Vcore to 1.5. The system seems stable running Orthos for 1 hour fine.

The issue is that whenever he starts Crysis the PSU starts to emit high pitched whine and it is really loud through the intro commercials - then in menu it gets quieter and then in game it disappears completely.

I found this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZkwNXoeOeY&feature=related and the guy is right. The whine is framerate related because when we turned vsync on it completely disappeared. Any ideas please? Is it something to worry about?

The PSU is some old ColorsIT 400W and he uses Zotac 9600GT AMP! Edition.

Thanks

Could be the PSU.... Could also be the graphics card. I've had a number of G92 graphics cards "sing" under load. Firwst thing to do is isolate the sound. A stethescope is good for this. You can also put your fingers on any exposed inductors of the graphics card to see if the pitch changes.

If you're sure it's the PSU, then it's the PSU. I'd replace it. The MINIMUM system requirement for a 9600 GT is 400W PSU with 26A on the total combined +12V rail. If it's some "old ColorsIT" I doubt it has the juice on the +12V. The noise you're hearing is probably either the transformers or inductors in the PSU telling you they're at their peak capacity.

It states 15 A and 17 A on the power label for both +12V rails it has, no combined output figure, but yeah I thought it's because it's being drained. I'll definitely tell him to get a better one. Did you see that guy with Tagan BZ-900 though? That has six rails rated at 20A each and 70 A combined and yet same issue. Production fault or just crappy engineering?

Thanks for your input I enjoy your PSU reviews very much, even though I don't know all them part numbers ;) .

Yeah another -1 to Tagan. Only little concern is that I bought into the hype and some recommendations and got 480W unit over a year ago. Still running well no issues whatsoever - guess I got lucky. Getting ready to open it up and replace the fan :cool:

Back