PSU High frequency noise when PC is turned off

coilnoise

n00b
When my PC is turned off and I bring my head very close to the PSU, I hear a high frequency noise. Is that normal? I can't hear it when I am like 30 cm away from it. And it's only there when turned off. My ethernet port blinks so the pc is using some power even through it's off.
Is it surely a faulty PSU or perhaps it's normal to do it with a low load?

People have told me that on low load the frequency could be low enough to be audible(below 20Khz) while on higher load it's not.
(When my PC is off, my USB ports still work - are powered that is, my Ethernet as well as my keyboard).

Will I get a replacement just because of that noise? (Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W)
Also the voltages reported in the bios seem pretty normal.(perhaps I will post all of them later).

VSB - 3.264
VBAT - 3.088

It's perfectly normal for compoents inside a switched mode power supply to vibrate a little with the switching frequency. Some switchers go into a "discontinous" mode when under light load and in this mode the freqency drops much lower than during normal "continuous" operation. This can cause them to become audible.

Unless the noise is loud enough to cause you annoyance I wouldn't worry abou it.

You can likely also disable the WOL (Wake On Lan) features in your motherboard's bios if that part bothers you.

It's not unusual to have some hissing noise. Maybe someone else can confirm if it's normal for that model. Some designs are quieter than others when the pc is turned off. Both of my Seasonics aren't audible unless you put your ear right next to them, but my older psu was very noticeable. It shouldn't be a problem unless it fails to turn on the computer. But if you hear any small crackling noise, check for small sparks.

Back