PSU Help - AGP 7800GS, Barton 2500+, etc

Braamer

[H]ard|Gawd
I need some help in picking out a power supply. I currently have an Allied 400W PSU (I know, I know, I was broke and needed a PSU) with a AMD 2500+ Barton oc'ed to 3200+, Asus A7N8x Deluxe Mobo, 1GB RAM, WD 80GB HD and an nVidia 6600GT graphics card.

Here's the deal. My wife's 9800Pro kicked the bucket, so I'm giving her the 6600GT and replacing my card with a new one. I'm looking at an nVidia 7800GS and was wondering what I should get for a PSU.

TIA for all replies.

Well no ATX12v2.0 PSU's for that Asus board.

Other than that what kind of budget are we looking at?

Yep. No 12V connector there.

Don't go dual rail and don't get something with a big ol' 12V rail.

I'm going to flame bait myself here... How about a nice Thermaltake PurePower 480W? :D

I'm looking for quality as cheap as possible, something like a PSU from Enermax. I just have no idea about power requirements. I don't intend to ever get SLi, so that's not a factor in my decision either.

Looks like I'm getting the x800GTO instead of the 7800GS, so what power supply would you recommend with that?

braamer said:
Looks like I'm getting the x800GTO instead of the 7800GS, so what power supply would you recommend with that?

Same. It's still an AGP card on an Asus board.

I really think you're overthinking this. A lot of concern has been created by Athlon64 and Pentium 4 processors and PCI-e video cards. These need high 12V rails. You have a CPU that's pulling power from the 5V rail. So dual 12V rails will do you no good and a PSU with a really high 12V rail will likely crossload when the CPU is under load.

Back