PSU for $1000 build - July 2020

exo3

n00b
Hello,

I am in the process of putting together a PC for sim racing. I have build a PC before but it's been at least 10 years. My hard budget limit is $1000 total with tax and shipping.
I have no idea what PSU is appropriate for the specs below and I do not want it to go up in smkoe! Can you please help me out with a recommendation? Ideally I'd like to stay below $100.
I already purchased the top four components listed.

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 3600
MotherboardMSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPUGIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G Graphics Card, PCIe 4.0, 8GB 256-Bit GDD
RAMG.Skill Ripjaw V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600
Storage500 GB SSD ~ $50
PSU??? (up to $100)
CaseCooler Master MasterBox NR600 ATX
Mid-Tower with Front Mesh Ventilation

I'm not familiar with these brands (which doesn't say much). Most recommendations out there seem to be focused on Corsair and EVGA products. I'm fine going with either one of these - just wanted to see if you guys had any opinion as it relates to reliability. I esecially like the Roesewill option - 600W & modular. Is this a reliable brand/model?

Yes, the Rosewill Lepton is a decent model. I see the price as $79.99 with free shipping when I'm logged into my Newegg account, but when I'm logged out it says $99.99+ $29.99 shipping!

Also I found another good price on the Seasonic 650w GM for $99.99+ free shipping over at BHphotovideo.com
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1548503-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_gm_650_650w_80.html

For $79.99, the Rosewill Lepton a decent deal and that's what I'd buy f I had to build a PC today. At $100, I'd choose the Seasonic 650w.
There's a shortage of power supplies and prices have gone up significantly. For example, a year ago the 700W Rosewill Lepton was $45.

Don't be fooled by blindly purchasing the big brand names like Corsair and EVGA, they have some models which are not good quality. Most power supplies are built by 8-10 companies and just re-branded with popular brand names like Corsair, EVGA, XFX, etc. They don't actually manufacture their own power supplies.

Seasonic has a stellar reputation in power supplies and is widely recognized as one of the best brands. Check the linustechtips power supply list, but you'd be fine with any of these models I linked.

Yes, the Rosewill Lepton is a decent model. I see the price as $79.99 with free shipping when I'm logged into my Newegg account, but when I'm logged out it says $99.99+ $29.99 shipping!

Also I found another good price on the Seasonic 650w GM for $99.99+ free shipping over at BHphotovideo.com
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1548503-REG/seasonic_electronics_focus_gm_650_650w_80.html

For $79.99, the Rosewill Lepton a decent deal and that's what I'd buy f I had to build a PC today. At $100, I'd choose the Seasonic 650w.
There's a shortage of power supplies and prices have gone up significantly. For example, a year ago the 700W Rosewill Lepton was $45.

Don't be fooled by blindly purchasing the big brand names like Corsair and EVGA, they have some models which are not good quality. Most power supplies are built by 8-10 companies and just re-branded with popular brand names like Corsair, EVGA, XFX, etc. They don't actually manufacture their own power supplies.

Seasonic has a stellar reputation in power supplies and is widely recognized as one of the best brands. Check the linustechtips power supply list, but you'd be fine with any of these models I linked.

I'd limit it even further and say most PSUs are built by about 4 brands. FSP, Seasonic, Enermax, Topower. Probably missing another big one though.

I'd limit it even further and say most PSUs are built by about 4 brands. FSP, Seasonic, Enermax, Topower. Probably missing another big one though.

Channel Well and Superflower come to mind.

Dang..... makes perfect sense though - I go to build a budget PC for the first time in 10+ years and prices skyrocket :whistle:
Last time I built my kids machines RX 560's where going for $200, SSD's where like $100+ for 500gb, but at least MB prices were low :). I can't remember when exactly, but I bought RAM for my PC about just about the exact wrong time (or on the tail end of it, so not quite at max prices, but). Right now I'm looking at a new MB (B550 or X570 ITX boards) and they are really hard to find and when I do find them they are on Ebay for like 2x the normal cost. So, yeah... seems like it happens every time I want to do something too, lol. At least I only paid $140 for my 850w non-modular power supply at the time (XFX TS Series 850w).... At least it was one of hte best you could buy (it was a seasonic design and reviews were very kind to it). Let me tell you, it handled my G4560 with an RX 560 with ease, lol. Then again, I may have gotten by with less ;).

Topower has been out of business for years and Enermax no longer builds power supplies in house.

I saw this PowerSpec at my local microcenter last week. Is it worth it or should I avoid the brand altogether?
PowerSepc 650W Bronze

PS. I went to order Rosewill recommended earlier and it's already out of stock.... ugh

Last edited:
I am debating over two psus.

Seasonic SSR-550PX vs Corsair rm550x.

Same price although the Corsair's price is lowered by buying through Corsair. I dunno how that works - is there import fees? There's a discount code but they are located in the USA.

Rosewill is back in stock at Newegg. Ordered. Case closed.

Ps. It is astonishing how difficult it is to find a decent PSU in stock in 2020.

Yeah, PSU's and motherboards right now. A few weeks ago I was having a hard time finding CPU's in stock: 3300x, 3600, 3600x all were out of stock so I bought a 3700x instead. Then I was trying to get a PSU local, but best buy had almost nothing and microcenter is a 3 hour drive each way. I checked their anyways, but they barely had anything either. Ended up getting a used semi-modular Rosewill from someone that was just over an hour away from me!

Back