PSU fans

slyxxmarbo

n00b
can anyone tell me which PSU company uses the best fans? and how do they differentiate from one another?

1 - i noticed Seasonic recently moved to Fluid Dynamic Bearings from the regular ball bearing type, why? does this help with fan life span?

2 - i see EVGA etching their logos on the fan blades (does this help in anyway? )

I think that FDB are more for noise than for life span. Looking at the PSU specs the fan life is about 8 years 24/7 (70000 hours)@40C but the warranty is 10 years on the PSU. The fan is not meant to operate until the PSU reaches fairly high power usage so idling the fan probably will not operate which would extend the lifespan. The MTBF for the PSU is 11.4 years @ only 25C.

Etching on fan blades will probably cause a slight imbalance to the rotation and could decrease the lifespan.

I think that FDB are more for noise than for life span. Looking at the PSU specs the fan life is about 8 years 24/7 (70000 hours)@40C but the warranty is 10 years on the PSU. The fan is not meant to operate until the PSU reaches fairly high power usage so idling the fan probably will not operate which would extend the lifespan. The MTBF for the PSU is 11.4 years @ only 25C.

Etching on fan blades will probably cause a slight imbalance to the rotation and could decrease the lifespan.

thx RedDwarf for the explanation. Guess Seasonic takes the win in the fan department? and for evga, even tho it might decrease the lifespace, it still looks pretty cool to have their logo on the blades.

And honestly i dont see why the noise is such a big issue with some ppl/companies...i cant even hear the PSU running over my CPU/GPU half the time anyway...the other half i have headphones on...lol

Back