PSU bad or mobo?

Sinster

Gawd
It started off when rebooting wouldn't boot back into bios or windows unless it sat for hours/days with power cord removed. Now I'm at the point where letting it sit isn't working. Currently the GPU LED illuminates for a second, powers off, and PSU fan spins for a split second. It cycles like this until I switch the PSU off or pull the power cable, never gets to the BIOS. I pulled the PSU jumpered it and check for voltage and all is good there, changed the CMOS battery, and tried other ram & GPU. I also get no beeps or other indications from the MoBo.

It's a 900w ANTEC HCG-900, 4690k, 8x16GB G.Skill, RX580, ASROCK Z97 PRO (w/ latest FW).

As Antec has a long history of using shitty capacitors in their supplies, I would lean towards the PSU being the issue.

It sounds like something is shorting out the PSU. I had a similar issues with a new system I built that would only power on for a split sec they click off. I had to unplug it to reset the PSU. It turned out to be one of the modular SATA cables causing the short. Even when it wasn't plugged into any devices it would short out the PSU. Once I removed the cables from the PSU it wasn't shorting out anymore. I almost tossed the PSU too since the the PC worked fine with another PSU attached.

I'm having the same issue myself. I havent really cycled power enough times to vertify the issue/solution, but a bad sata power cable seems to have prevented the computer from powering on.

I did just order a new PSU, may cancel the order, if the sata power cable truly was the issue.

Back