PSP with 8gb built in ??!!

i herd the size of the unit would be a little bigger than the old psp

and 4 and 8 gig memory sticks were to be released later this year...

The Keyword in that Article is GigaBIT, so 8 gigbit is only one gigabyte, not nearly as much as you are probably thinking.

What's the point of building a new PSP that has 1Gb built in when you can just buy a 1Gb memory stick? I think that article was supposed to say Gigabyte, well I'm hoping anyway...

They interchangeably use the term GB and Gbit, which have completely different meanings. Which one do they mean? If GB, then yay! finally some decent capacity. If they mean Gbit, then no thanks, since 8Gbit = 1GB.

For a device that can play video, music, and games, they should give it no less than 2gb. 4-8gb would be ideal but I doubt it'll happen.

I wonder how many hundred more they'll charge for it. They wouldn't undercut their own proprietary memory stick sales for no money :p

steviep said:
I wonder how many hundred more they'll charge for it. They wouldn't undercut their own proprietary memory stick sales for no money :p

Yeah, you'll probably have to buy a license for the built in storage.. then claim it on your tax returns :p

I'll call it a "business expense" lol... seriously though, if this "PSP 1.5" actually exists, and has 1GB of built in storage, it's going to be expensive as hell. Sony wouldn't let go of a proprietary media cash cow for just a few extra bucks.

Shit, if its just 1gb internal I don't think itll be very successfull. You can pick up a 1gb stick for like $50-60.

acascianelli said:
Shit, if its just 1gb internal I don't think itll be very successfull. You can pick up a 1gb stick for like $50-60.
Hence our speculation. Is it 8Gb or 8GB?
Gb = Gigabits, 8 bits to a byte, 8Gb = 1GB.

8 gigaBYTES of ANY flash-like media is WAY too expensive (like, a few hundred dollars retail) to put in any device. And the PSP is too small for a real hard drive. So you can easily speculate that they are indeed talking about 8 gigaBITS. In fact, Sony will likely advertise it as such, since many people don't know the difference. I'd put money on 1 gigabyte of built in storage, if indeed this PSP upgrade exists.

Sony wouldn't dare put 8GigaBYTE's into the PSP. They are already crediting 1GB Memory sticks and piracy with a decline in sales of UMD movies. Aside from the obvious prohibitive costs, they simply wouldn't give the PSP that much memory just so that nobody would ever buy UMD movies ever again, ever.

Erasmus354 said:
Sony wouldn't dare put 8GigaBYTE's into the PSP. They are already crediting 1GB Memory sticks and piracy with a decline in sales of UMD movies. Aside from the obvious prohibitive costs, they simply wouldn't give the PSP that much memory just so that nobody would ever buy UMD movies ever again, ever.

2gb memory sticks are around $100 now. UMD discs only hold 1.5gb right?

steviep said:
8 gigaBYTES of ANY flash-like media is WAY too expensive (like, a few hundred dollars retail) to put in any device. And the PSP is too small for a real hard drive. So you can easily speculate that they are indeed talking about 8 gigaBITS. In fact, Sony will likely advertise it as such, since many people don't know the difference. I'd put money on 1 gigabyte of built in storage, if indeed this PSP upgrade exists.
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10391&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10391

hmmm, the 4 gigabyte flash mem 3g touchscreen sonyericsson internet surfing push email w950i walkman phone is gonna be around the £280 which has cut out the mem stick altogether! if they have got a good deal on the mem now which from the above does indeed look like a good deal and a nano beater! Maybe the psp1.5 will have monster flash memory! Maybe they are a bit more relaxed on mem stick sales now that sandisk/lexmark etc sell them cheap with probably not much profit margin.

For over $600 spent on a phone, they'd better freaking include a lot of memory :p
Would you want a $750 PSP (£375+), too?

steviep said:
For over $600 spent on a phone, they'd better freaking include a lot of memory :p
Would you want a $750 PSP (£375+), too?
Id spend £280 on a peice of hardware that replaced my pda, my walkman, my portable movie player, touch screen gaming and my old phone, without batting an eyelid! I dont know where the $600 comes from, buying stuff in the uk to buying stuff in the us is not just a straight/near conversion, u guys in the US have got it easy with the prices of hardware!!:) People here in the UK bought the P910i for over £500 here in the UK JUST for a phone or £200 just on a walkman when you look at it that way the PSP is extremely appealing even more so is the DS. It probably the main reason the PSP has done extremely well here in the UK....we can afford it (no flaming please, just a joke:) )

I wouldnt spend £375 on a 8 gig psp though, £300 tops, id spend 375 if it had the 8 gig and a touch screen etc...

Maybe they have a plan to make us buy movies/ tv series/music online or download maps for the future sat nav side of things where for the whole of europe or other continents youd need at leeast 2 gig, the possibilities are endless, maybe they will sell a revised psp cheap to get us to buy things of sony in other areas etc, who knows, the possibilities could be endless if they played their cards right. Id even be happy if the PSP stayed as it is, anything else is a bonus in my eyes even if it does increase the price.

Diablo2K said:
The Keyword in that Article is GigaBIT, so 8 gigbit is only one gigabyte, not nearly as much as you are probably thinking.

"The PSP will feature 8GB of NAND flash, the sources stated."

badasspenguin said:
I think the quote is wrong. NAND memory is measured in Giga-bits. 16Gb chips are top right now.
That's the case with any type of memory. But software measures space in bytes.

badasspenguin said:
I think the quote is wrong. NAND memory is measured in Giga-bits. 16Gb chips are top right now.
16Gb = 2GB. It's gotta be 8Gb/1GB. Too bad, had me excited. :(

Maybe it's 4 x 16Gb chips, the same type that are used in the iPod Nano!

...but Apple's cost per each one of those chips is $91, and you have to assume that Sony's isn't much below that, if at all. So there's an extra $360, on top of the already-$250...$600 to look "cool" while playing 3 or 4 games.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with 1GB.

Samsung is developing a 16gb chip right now, or it's almost ready for the public, so 8gb should be very doable on one chip. and this will make the PSP a fantasic portable media player (device) now.. that's what it was missing.. a large onboard storage option. whew. I might actually get one of the newbies if this is all factual info.

EDIT: here's an 8gb chip for cell phones.. http://mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C6598/

Rash said:
Id spend £280 on a peice of hardware that replaced my pda, my walkman, my portable movie player, touch screen gaming and my old phone, without batting an eyelid! I dont know where the $600 comes from, buying stuff in the uk to buying stuff in the us is not just a straight/near conversion, u guys in the US have got it easy with the prices of hardware!!:) People here in the UK bought the P910i for over £500 here in the UK JUST for a phone or £200 just on a walkman when you look at it that way the PSP is extremely appealing even more so is the DS. It probably the main reason the PSP has done extremely well here in the UK....we can afford it (no flaming please, just a joke:) )

I wouldnt spend £375 on a 8 gig psp though, £300 tops, id spend 375 if it had the 8 gig and a touch screen etc...

Maybe they have a plan to make us buy movies/ tv series/music online or download maps for the future sat nav side of things where for the whole of europe or other continents youd need at leeast 2 gig, the possibilities are endless, maybe they will sell a revised psp cheap to get us to buy things of sony in other areas etc, who knows, the possibilities could be endless if they played their cards right. Id even be happy if the PSP stayed as it is, anything else is a bonus in my eyes even if it does increase the price.

Why bring the DS into the discussion? :p We all know the PSP will never have a touch screen, since that would segment their userbase :p

Anyway, I know sometimes in North America we get cheaper electronics, but other times its more expensive. I was just throwing around numbers in an approximate conversion. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to spend $250 on a handheld (current price of PSP gigapack), nevermind $500+. Not too many others will either. Fortunately, we've come up with the assumption here that they are talking about gigaBITS, so a PSP with built in 1GB is a possibility... NOT 8GB.

Sigh people arguing over gigabit or gigabyte

It is 8 gig of storage not gigabit it hasnt been stated weather or not it will be in stick format or not and there was already plans to later this year release a 4gig and 8gig memory stick.

the new psp is sposed to be a little bigger to fit either built in memory or a hard drive. as well as an unknown number of new features.

Lunas said:
Sigh people arguing over gigabit or gigabyte

It is 8 gig of storage not gigabit it hasnt been stated weather or not it will be in stick format or not and there was already plans to later this year release a 4gig and 8gig memory stick.

the new psp is sposed to be a little bigger to fit either built in memory or a hard drive. as well as an unknown number of new features.
Did you read our logical argument? The biggest single chip out there right now is 16Gb (2GB). There is no 64Gb (8GB) chip in existance, and even if there was the cost would heavily outweigh the advantages.

sac_tagg said:
Did you read our logical argument? The biggest single chip out there right now is 16Gb (2GB). There is no 64Gb (8GB) chip in existance, and even if there was the cost would heavily outweigh the advantages.
The bigest flash mem based hardware that has been out for a while now is the 4gigabyte ipod nano. the new sony w950 also has 4gigabyte, why is it so hard to believe that 8 gigabyte flash hardware can be just around the corner for the same price as what the 4gig nano was when it first came out?

Id also like to point out that i sold a few 8 gig and 12 gig compact flash cards 8 gig cards in 2004 and 12 gig in february 2005, at a huge price mind you!

sac_tagg said:
take a look at samsungs road map http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/NANDFlash/index.htm

now listen to what i was saying the next psp is going to be a little bit larger and it might have 8 gig of onboard storage.

the article about the new psp says nothing about how the storage will be put in the psp it only said it will have 8 gig of flash storage and never did i mention any thing about it being single chip or did i relate to how fast it would be.

Again, do you see Sony putting out a $600+ PSP? I don't (nobody would buy it, anyway). It won't be 8 gigabytes, it WILL be 8 gigabits, guaranteed. And that's if this rumoured "PSP 1.5" exists, in the first place.

steviep said:
Again, do you see Sony putting out a $600+ PSP? I don't (nobody would buy it, anyway). It won't be 8 gigabytes, it WILL be 8 gigabits, guaranteed. And that's if this rumoured "PSP 1.5" exists, in the first place.
and yet i have herd from a source that it will be released with 4 to 8 gig of storage and that it will have a digital video camera and will be available in black white and silver....

and i guarantee you that sony isnt talking about gigabits all and all we will all have to wait for a official sony source to say other wise

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i just hope memory sticks get cheaper.. i would like more than 1 GB.. but at a cheap price

Newegg had a sweet deal that I posted this past weekend for Sandisk 2Gb MSPD's. It arrived today. It was only $96.25 shipped. I payed $70-80 two months ago for my 1 GB. I'll use it for movies mostly.

for those of us interested in homebrew, i read that the psp v1.5 will only support up to 4 GB in a memory stick pro duo without a firmware upgrade anyway. the 2 GB sticks are coming down, but i'll wait until the maximum size comes down to under $100.

Lunas said:
and yet i have herd from a source that it will be released with 4 to 8 gig of storage and that it will have a digital video camera and will be available in black white and silver....

and i gurentee you that sony isnt talking about gigabits all and all we will all have to wait for a official sony source to say other wise
I don't even see a 64Gb part on that roadmap, 32Gb is the largest; and it's projected, not even out yet. Now it's "4 to 8" gigs? What happened to straight up 8?

Sorry dude, but I'm gonna trust facts over the guy on the internet with a source, who thinks it's spelled "gurentee."

finalgt said:
I don't even see a 64Gb part on that roadmap, 32Gb is the largest; and it's projected, not even out yet. Now it's "4 to 8" gigs? What happened to straight up 8?

Sorry dude, but I'm gonna trust facts over the guy on the internet with a source, who thinks it's spelled "gurentee."
humm assumptions all over the place... Agian never have i stated anything about the gigabit only that i was not sayign any thing about it. Plus the article and news on the psp 2 has always been 4 to 8 Gigabytes

And as for the last thing i never said any thing of what i said was fact only rumors and what sony actualy said. as far as the facts are concerned there is nothing except sony rumored to samsung that they were thinking of using a microdrive instead of nand flash. sony did this to get samsung to agree to price thier chips lower.

And for your last coment all hail the spelling nazi.

Lunas said:

and i guarantee you that sony isnt talking about gigabits all and all we will all have to wait for a official sony source to say other wise

If that's the case, enjoy your $750 7-year old PS2-lite/i-pod hybrid wannabe :)
If I were to get a PSP, i certainly wouldn't spend more than $150-200 bucks, that's for sure.
(When someone says "gigs" it could mean bits OR bytes, though, just so you know)

Back