PSP vs DS

Best Handheld

• Total voters

CodeX

2[H]4U
Lets put this to rest once and for all. No arguing, just vote and say why you voted that way.

I voted for the DS. I have played both and I think the DS is the best bang for the buck. I think it has a better selection of games and the other features of the PSP don't interest me much (most of which can be done with the DS anyway)

i voted ds

for me this is how i view each one

DS: not the most powerfull, but fits and carries well with out having to have a sleave cover, or box to contain it in, as well as the outside plastic not being so scratchy. Games came out with it that were already appealing to me, so i started to play it off the bat when i purchased it.

PSP: the extra's weren't enough to satisify my daily needs to really keep it as an all in one gadget, there were a few games that looked interested and fell off my radar as no one seemed to like them. UMD's were nothing, not even going there. Being easy to scratch and smudge also wasnt that appealing to me either, i don't really care if its shiny or a dull plastic but having to clean it, put it in a cloth sleave and then add in that most people also put it in a carying case to keep it from getting dinged adds to the over all tedious factor. It fit better in my hands then the DS, i liked that part of it really well.

i wanted to keep the PSP as far as gadgetry goes, but it was just a jack and not an ace, so i really had no reason to attempt to use it, i found myself chucking it into the back of my car and leaving it there while puting my attention on the items i wanted it to replace, the DS although i wanted a flash component in it much like the DS really did satisfy my needs as far as a portable gaming device is concerned with their games and wi-fi, and as far as the PSP as a gaming device i'm sure theres more games out now that i'd play on it but i'm not going to go out and repurchase one.

I went with the DS

I own both the DS and PSP...

i like both.. but.. i guess i went DS because i provides for unique games...

I have never owned a DS, but I play them in stores, and I really want one. I owned a psp for 2 days and then I returned, no games that interest me, to much for something that I dont really play, I bought it on a whim :p .

I already have a PSP and am planning to get a DS soon. Admittedly the DS has more games and more variety, but has yet to catch up to the PSP in the homebrew department. Just compare Snes9XTYL to anything the DS currently has and you'll know what I'm talking about. I didn't vote because I don't believe in playing favorites. :p

Advanced Wars* and Brain Age. Crack.

*Crack via intravenous if you have people to play it with

DS lite. Why? Cause I have one. Nothing on the PSP interests me, at all.

Animal Crossing > All

:cool:

I prefer the DS, but I own both.

The DS certainly has the better games. It's not even a contesy. There's also the very important issue of battery life, in which the DS is also superior.

The PSP, however, does have its purposes. It allows me to play Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, and Neo Geo Pocket Color games without having to lug a billion cartridges around.

So, as far as I'm concerned, they both have their purposes.

I don't have either, but the one tempting me more lately is the DS.

PSP is pretty cool but it's just not luring me in any way. Too expensive too.

DS. More / better games and cheaper. Nobody wants to watch movies on a tiny screen and Sony learned that the hard way.

DS

I actually play it.

I own both, the homebrew on the PSP is nice, I upgraded to 2.5 to play some of the newer games (will downgrade). But, SNES games aren't 100% speed, not the ones I want to play.

That, and I'm afraid to carry my PSP around with me. Its bulky, even bulkier in a case, its just not portable and too fragile. Moving parts on a piece of electronics that goes in my pocket? It kind of suffers from the Virtual Boy syndrome. It looks like a portable system, but it really isn't. The battery life is poor, and its just a hair too bulky.

Once those slick oragamis come down in price, it'll replace my PSP as general use gadget.

The DS:Lite is a bit smaller, so it fits comfortably in my pocket, and it has more games that seem suited to being played on the go.

20 second load times on the go are not fun.

Though, I'm looking forward to Valkyrie Profile on the PSP :D will be a good distraction at work, where I can leave my PSP plugged in...

Hasn't this been done to death already? :p

At any rate I picked the DS. Actually I had a PSP (with 9 games) and I sold it for a DS Lite. I couldn't have made a better choice. The PSP really is a jack of all trades, absolute master of none. The PSP games are getting better but it really needs more original titles and less ports.

Nintendo DS ftw!

I own both, bought a Nintendo DS at launch and a PSP within the first week of release. I used my PSP for about a week or two, and I haven't touched it since. It tries to be an all-in-one device but fails. The Nintendo DS, on the other hand, was made with one goal in mind: To make fun, original games, and it succeeds. I just bought a DS Lite with Brain Age a few weeks ago and I'm using the thing almost every day.

With the DS we get both classic (Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Bros, etc.) and original titles (Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, WarioWare, Pheonix Wright, Trauma Center, etc.) and that is why it succeeds.

PSP

I don't like ANY of the games for DS
I don't have an MP3 player so I use the PSP as an MP3 player.
I don't watch TV much so I watch my shows while I'm on the road.
I think PSP games are better, and have better graphics.
I use the web browser pretty much everywhere I go.

to me... the psp

i have a moderate commute so the video function comes in handy -- i can watch anime episodes on my way to work...
games are very good and are definitely keeping me entertained
mp3s i dont use as much but its good for the short walk to the subway stations...

overall, its how you can make use of the system that defines its worthiness... for me, i can make use of all the functions of the psp...thus for me... its excellent

The homebrew scene used to be the big argument / excuse on why some people will choose PSP over DS, but considering that the DS has caught up on that end (you can play NES, GB, GBA, SNES, Genesis, DS roms), and that the DS can play music and video as well (although not as good as PSP for obvious reasons), the PSP lost its main advantage while it fails miserably in the game section. You also don't have to choose games OR homebrew like it is the case with the PSP, you can flash your DS or use a Passkey 2 / Passcard 3 and have full DS functionality as well as. The DS can even be used as a PDA if you want.

i like the DS the best... mostly for the two screens, touch screen, and the great games.
the only thing that i see going for the PSP is the nice screen but that's not enough to make me like the PSP better than the DS

depend on my mood... but right now GTALCS for the psp is eating my life ...

but i do have a 20+ game library for the ds ( all legit) and only 4 for the psp

I've owned the PSP since it was first released i've only owned 3 games since then NFS: Underground Rivals (sucks) :mad:at myself for buying it, NBA 2K6 Live (not so bad) this is only fun if you play with someone via multiplayer the VS CPU mode sucked and GTA LCS (sucks to me) didn't even bother finishing it. I've never had any fun playing any of these games.

I've owned the DS Lite since it's release and i only have one game New S. Mario Bros (FUN) even though it's the old game with better graphics, new power ups and some moves from the N64 mario game it's just fun to play. I actually smile when i play it. My next puchase will be FF III and Zelda PHG.

Note: The PSP system itself DOES NOT suck. I think it's a great system but there are no games that interest me.

dreamcast87 said:
Note: The PSP system itself DOES NOT suck. I think it's a great system but there are no games that interest me.

Not to start a pissing match, but for me Advance Wars was the only game for the DS I liked. After I saw Field Commander on the PSP and a few other games, I bought a PSP instead of the new DS Lites.

It's all about the games you like, for me the PSP finally has a bunch I like. But Hey, too each there own.

TBONEU said:
Not to start a pissing match, but for me Advance Wars was the only game for the DS I liked. After I saw Field Commander on the PSP and a few other games, I bought a PSP instead of the new DS Lites.

It's all about the games you like, for me the PSP finally has a bunch I like. But Hey, too each there own.
Exactly, I really don't see why we have so many PSP vs DS threads. Both do their things, some love the PSP some love the DS (and some love both, which is me :)). Plus competition = lower prices for us consumers so I say let Microsoft enter the handheld world!
But if I were to vote I'd have to go with PSP. Just started playing Loco Roco/Tekken and I'm in love.

I have a DS, and I had a PSP.

For the PSP, there were some things I loved about it, like it's video playback and homebrew capabilities (FYI: Homebew /= [all] emulators, there are other programs, people). There were a few games I enjoyed, like SWBFII, Lumines, and Burnout, but it didn't keep me going for long. It had the capability to be an awesome system, but it was a combination of Sony's deathlike grip on stopping homebrew at any cost, and their recent actions as a corporation as a whole (creepy/annoying/semiracist ads, graffiti, rootkit, "PS3 is upgradeable", overall bullheadedness/douchebaggery) that turned me away. I really wanted to love the PSP, and I know that some people do love it to death. As someone said: To each his own. It's just not for me.

The DS was interesting. I went from loathing the damned system on launch day (touchscreen?! WTF, BigN has gone bonkers) to loving it after Phoenix Wright, Nintendogs, and Trauma Center. It's been a steady stream of good games that have kept me from trading the NDS in for something else. After MPH, Tetris, and the New Mario Bros, I think it'll keep me content for a while. Just an FYI: there is quite a homebrew community working with the DS. The PSP has many HB things going for it, but don't let that keep you from thinking the DS does, too :p

DS for me.

The only PSP game I'd consider buying would be Lumines, maybe that MGS game they're working on right now. The other main uses: mp3, video, and roms are nice but require an expensive additional memory stick. A few Tv shows fill up quite a bit of space. For me personally, I'd rather watch it on my computer.

I enjoy the DS library & quick load times.

PSP= LocoRoco, Tekken, Field Commander, Syphon Filter, fight night, ridge racer, wipeout, daxter, gta, tiger woods, virtua tennis, Lumines, Outrun 2006, video, music, photo albums, neo geo, snes and a 2 gig mem stick duo that only costs £40 all on one device using firmware 2.6. Cant Beat it!

I have a Ds Lite aswell with 1 Game (new Mario Bros)

Psp Gets my vote

I really like both systems. The I voted PSP however simply because it has more functionality. I LOVE the DS though. I have my DS lite in front of me right now :D

Rash said:
PSP= LocoRoco, Tekken, Field Commander, Syphon Filter, fight night, ridge racer, wipeout, daxter, gta, tiger woods, virtua tennis, Lumines, Outrun 2006, video, music, photo albums, neo geo, snes and a 2 gig mem stick duo that only costs £40 all on one device using firmware 2.6. Cant Beat it!

I have a Ds Lite aswell with 1 Game (new Mario Bros)

Psp Gets my vote

Outrun 2006. lolz
This looks good though:
http://psp.ign.com/objects/769/769179.html

They have very nice flash card kits for DS too.
If I had the money, I'd buy a PSP just to play the new Ghouls N Ghosts.
I'm a big fan. :D

PSP Owner and I voted for the DS Lite.

PSP only have a few really good games. The DS may have weaker hardware but it has a lot more good games.

DS. Better game library IMO, and once the Max Media player releases quality video support, media will be just as good on it as well.

mash said:
DS. Better game library IMO, and once the Max Media player releases quality video support, media will be just as good on it as well.
Isn't it the size of a GBA game + the HDD size (which is the size of another GBA game)? And doesn't it go for around $179? Just wondering if I'm looking at the right thing.

Also can someone list these "really good" DS games I've been hearing so much about? Here's my list of good DS games: MK, Mario Bros, Phoenix Wright, Kirby, Advance Wars, Meteos, Animal Crossing, Castlevania. I don't own but going by reviews - Brain Age, Metroid, Nintendogs (heard it gets boring very quickly). Any others?

I own both, but am voting for neither. Both have their purposes as has been said, and no real need for the 1000000th thread on which one is better.
DS does have better games, but it's graphics aren't that great imho, while the PsP has the better graphics for the most part, but not the game lineup. But considering not so long ago, people said that the PsP didn't have any games that were worth playing, i'd say it's a major improvement.
Both fill a niche, and both will be overshadowed someday by even better portables i think....

dj_2004 said:
Exactly, I really don't see why we have so many PSP vs DS threads. Both do their things, some love the PSP some love the DS

"Some (20%) love the PSP and some (80%) love the DS"

As far as I know there was never a poll. A 4 to 1 discrepency is an interesting result and justification enough for my thread :rolleyes:

CodeX said:
"Some (20%) love the PSP and some (80%) love the DS"

As far as I know there was never a poll. A 4 to 1 discrepency is an interesting result and justification enough for my thread :rolleyes:
Yes this 4 to 1 vote sure is justification for making this thread... :rolleyes: What exactly did you intend to prove? New games/features are always arriving so the DS could be the flavor of the month this month then a few great PSP games come out and everyone is praising that system (this is just an example). All this thread is is spam.

And why did you even quote my post? As the poll shows some like the PSP others like the DS, that's not going to change. Oh and just fyi, there have been multiple PSP vs DS polls in the past. You probably don't remember because you haven't been here for even 4 months.

Ok guys, lets keep it as it's meant to be: without the bickering.

Anyways, here's my story on why I voted for the DS:

I had a PSP. The screen was beautiful, it's features were aplenty. I could not find any games that I wanted for it. None of the games I bought were fun, most of them were rehash or watered-down console ports. I started to watch some movies on it. When I decided to pop open the Spiderman UMD that came with it, I was like, "hey, this is pretty cool, Spiderman!" But when I got about 45 minutes into it, I said, "screw it!" then I turned off the PSP and popped Spiderman into my upscaling DVD player and turned the surround sound up very loud. I then said to myself, "Now, this is more like it!"

Instantly, it's ability to play movies became null to me.

So then I found another use for it: Music. I started putting music on the memory stick that came with the PSP. Not bad, but it was pretty bulky to be carrying around as a music player. So I started using my iPod, which could hold tons more songs, and was a fraction of the mass and volume of the PSP.

Suddenly my PSP became dusty. It just sat there on a shelf. Then I sold it to a moderator here on [H]

My DS, on the other, got tons of play time from me, and it was great at what it was meant to do: play games.

I sold that eventualy because I needed cash, NOT because I didn't like it.

Enter last week. I bought a DS Lite with New Super Mario Bros and Nintendogs, and I plan on getting many more games. DS FTW!!!11one!1 :)

too me, its all about the games. i chose the ds because of the sheer numbers of great games for it, while the psp on the other maybe has 3 or 4 (not counting homebrew).

Yeah, sorry about that lesman. I was just going to edit my post but I see that you posted. :) I do not wish to get involved with the "console/handheld wars". I own both systems so I appreciate what each of them do. I voted for PSP purely because of Tekken/Loco Roco which has my attention as of now.
Also I apologize if my previous post was offensive to you CodeX. It just seems everytime I venture into the console forum there's a psp vs ds thread going on.

I own both, The PSP is far superior to the DS.

Except in one category, Games!

The NDS has much better games, thus I voted NDS.

Back