PSP 2000 stolen, thinking of replacing with PSPGo...

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
I left my PSP in the rental car after having tucked it under the seat. When I realized this and went back to get it, it had mysteriously vanished. Oh well, I only have myself to blame for that as anything valuable you leave in a rental is never going to be seen again...

But anyway, the only thing I used my PSP 2000 for was watching movies/anime and playing Patapon and Loco Roco on. And when I say "only" I don't mean it in a bad way. I loved watching movies on the PSP when I was at work or in the car. (wife and I carpool) I'm thinking of just replacing it with the Go since if I buy a 3000 I'm going to want the extended battery for it, like I had for the 2000, and that'll bring the price up to the Go's price. The main reason I only play Patapon is that's the UMD that's always in the drive and I hate carrying around all my discs.

Where's the best place I can sell my UMDs to get the most for them? I have about 12 UMD games. I'm thinking if I take them to Gamestop I'll probably get like $3 for each of them, but maybe I'm wrong? I'd rather just keep them if that's all I'm going to get.

sell it by yourself here on the forum or thru craiglist

I'm sure you know your UMDs will not be compatible with the PSPGO, you'd have to purchase Patapon all over again from Sony's digital store, when the UMD copy can be found much cheaper elsewhere. There's no price competition in their online store.

Also, your memory stick duos will also not work in the PSPGO, it only takes the smaller memory stick micro cards.

I'm sure you know your UMDs will not be compatible with the PSPGO, you'd have to purchase Patapon all over again from Sony's digital store, when the UMD copy can be found much cheaper elsewhere. There's no price competition in their online store.

Also, your memory stick duos will also not work in the PSPGO, it only takes the smaller memory stick micro cards.

I know about the UMDs and memory stick. Thing is, my 8GB memory stick (the only one I had) was in the PSP when it disappeared, so I have to buy a new one anyway. If I have to pay $20 to redownload Patapon, that's fine, it's only one game. I have to purchase it again anyway since it was in the PSP also. I really want to kick myself for leaving it in the car when I turned it in... expensive lesson.

I'm just thinking, for what I usually do with the PSP, watch movies, anime, and play a couple games, I'm better off just selling my UMDs that I never use and going with the more portable Go unit. I won't use the WiFi except at home so it only having B doesn't matter to me.

The only thing I can't get any real info on is how long the battery in the Go lasts. I'd like to know some real usage numbers and not just the official Sony claim. I never used the UMD much on my 2000 and with the extented length battery I could get about 8 hours of movie viewing out of it. If the Go only lasts 3-4 hours, that might be a deal breaker for me.

The Battery Life of the Go is pretty much the same as the PSP 3000, im not sure if the official extended battery is out yet, ar you going to be renting and buying movies from the psn store? If so let me know what they are like.

Also if you know someone with a European psp 1-3k who doesnt mind letting you have the psp go rewards youll be able to get patapon for free, but if you buy future games from the us store the game will be disabled until you log back in with the uk account and vice versa.

Hey OP- I'm actually looking to sell my modded PSP 2000. I have the Extended Battery, Wall Charger, Extended Battery Charger, 8GB Memory Stick, Pandora Battery (stock battery), and Magic Memory Stick. The console was used from Gamestop when I bought it and used by myself for 2 hours every Monday night while my wife was in class. I used it for about 6 months. I modded it to play SNES games on it. My wife graduates next week and I do not see myself needing it anymore.

The PSP has a very, very minor scratch on the screen and you cannot see it while the unit is on. Its the piano black version of the handheld. Thinking around $100 for it. PM if interested.

You have games covered. I would throw in my UMD's but I promised them to my little cousin and it works out its Christmas time so I'll give them to him as a gift.

The Battery Life of the Go is pretty much the same as the PSP 3000, im not sure if the official extended battery is out yet, ar you going to be renting and buying movies from the psn store? If so let me know what they are like.

Also if you know someone with a European psp 1-3k who doesnt mind letting you have the psp go rewards youll be able to get patapon for free, but if you buy future games from the us store the game will be disabled until you log back in with the uk account and vice versa.

Ouch, only around 3 hours battery life on the Go... hmmm. Mabye I don't want it afterall.

I'm fine with the PSPGo as long as Sony doesn't start trying to hint to people to upgrade because they would piss me off since they don't offer any type of trade in program for all the UDM's you bought.

Ouch, only around 3 hours battery life on the Go... hmmm. Mabye I don't want it afterall.

Yer on full brightness and sound youll only get 3-4 hours on gaming, about 5 on medium and prob 5 and a half on low brightness, low volume.

At the end of the day do the positives like, ultra portability not much bigger than a iphone, bluetooth tethering, bluetooth headset, dual shock 3 support for using psp as a home console/media center on the tv, better screen quality, pause game feature on official firmware, 16gb with option of expansion etc outweigh the negatives like no umd, tied to psn, cant sell or buy games second hand, smaller screen, controls can be cramped for some people and in your case same battery life.
Good luck in your decision!!

I went to the store today to try and figure out if I wanted a -2000, -3000 or Go. I left with a -2000. The disadvantages of the Go were immense. More expensive, smaller screen, inability to use UMDs, unmoddable (currently) firmware, fiddly slider.

Yer on full brightness and sound youll only get 3-4 hours on gaming, about 5 on medium and prob 5 and a half on low brightness, low volume.

At the end of the day do the positives like, ultra portability not much bigger than a iphone, bluetooth tethering, bluetooth headset, dual shock 3 support for using psp as a home console/media center on the tv, better screen quality, pause game feature on official firmware, 16gb with option of expansion etc outweigh the negatives like no umd, tied to psn, cant sell or buy games second hand, smaller screen, controls can be cramped for some people and in your case same battery life.
Good luck in your decision!!

Thanks for that breakdown. 5 hours isn't too bad. It's not really much less than my DSi on brightness "4" (out of 5) with the volume on medium.

Tough choice.

I went to the store today to try and figure out if I wanted a -2000, -3000 or Go. I left with a -2000. The disadvantages of the Go were immense. More expensive, smaller screen, inability to use UMDs, unmoddable (currently) firmware, fiddly slider.

Why did you go with a 2000? The 3000 is better. If you're worried about the so called scan lines problem, you made a mistake. I just bought a 3000 last night and there's none of that in fast action or in XMB.

No complaints except that I should have gone with a silver or white model, the finger prints are annoying on the black model!!

Why did you go with a 2000? The 3000 is better. If you're worried about the so called scan lines problem, you made a mistake. I just bought a 3000 last night and there's none of that in fast action or in XMB.

No complaints except that I should have gone with a silver or white model, the finger prints are annoying on the black model!!

Well, cause chickhen is irritating as hell.

Your eyes are not as sensitive as mine.
The 3000 looks like shit compared to my 1000. But I'm sensitive to those types of visual details.....
I would never get a 3000. Simply for the fact that I have never seen ANY portable device with such disgusting blurring and distortion.

His decision is quite justified IMO.

Your eyes are not as sensitive as mine.
The 3000 looks like shit compared to my 1000. But I'm sensitive to those types of visual details.....
I would never get a 3000. Simply for the fact that I have never seen ANY portable device with such disgusting blurring and distortion.

His decision is quite justified IMO.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I have also owned a launch 1000 model but sold it a few months later due to lack of interest. Having just bought the 3000, I can say it isn't worse, that's for sure. Maybe they made a better 3000 recently? I don't know, but if anything the 3000 is better looking, at least to me.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I have also owned a launch 1000 model but sold it a few months later due to lack of interest. Having just bought the 3000, I can say it isn't worse, that's for sure. Maybe they made a better 3000 recently? I don't know, but if anything the 3000 is better looking, at least to me.

This.
http://news.cnet.com/sony-responds-to-psp-3000-screen-issues/

I don't think they updated the 3000's after this. But then again, it doesn't annoy everyone, so it may be acceptable to you. I, on the other hand was not impressed. That is, I felt it was a downgrade in quality. But I'm talking about a specific issue/"feature".

I have a 3000 and the only time I notice the scan line issue is with the game Loco Roco 2. I almost never notice it on other games, maybe once in a while during the anime cut scenes in Jeanne D'Arc but it's not bad. I practically have to have the PSP up to my nose to really notice it. Overblown problem... besides the colors are better IMO than the 2000 at least.

Hmm, well dang.

I went and replaced the PSP for the GT edition (the fingerprints drove me crazy) and now there is some scan lines. Not too bad to me, but shucks.

The plain black one didn't have this.

OP here again... Your discussion on the screens brought up some questions.

I know about the 3000 scanlines debate. I haven't had an opportunity to use one myself to see what it's all about, but I do know that my eyes pick up on any type of irregularity. This is one of the complaints I had about the 2000s screen. It has so much ghosting that some games made me nauseous to play. I heard the screen on the 3000 has much less ghosting, but it has the scanlines. I don't know which would annoy me more...

So what about the screen on the Go? Aside from being smaller, how does it compare to the 2000/3000 in ghosting, scanlines, visibility, etc?

Back