PSP 2.0 --> 1.5 downgrader released

I just read about it too. I'm still not going to 2.0, even though it can be downgraded. I'm more interested in seeing homebrew flourish on the 2.0.

I've used it, and it works beautifully. It IS possible to retain the browser when "downgrading" to 1.5, but most people don't do it.

After going through the process, it'll say the firmware installation failed (with error FFFFFFFF) and to call sony. After one restart, a multi-language "fatal error" screen appears (a la "failed XBOX mod", but in blue). It says that you can press O to reload the shipped firmware. Most people do this. Instead, I simply restarted the PSP.

The first restart after the multi-language "corrupt firmware" screen gave me an error, but one more allowed me to boot fully; the system info saying 1.5, but the browser still in the menu and functional, along with homebrew **coughcough*supermarioworld*coughcough** working as well.

After, I upgraded to 2.0 AGAIN, and downgraded, AGAIN, and instead pressed O to default to the 1.5 firmware at the error screen. Everything works the same, but with no browser. I wanted it, so I upgraded to 2.0, then did the "dirty" downgrade to keep it.

EDIT: The "Dirty" downgrade also allows one to keep the background change utility, but some settings are missing from the system menu that should be there. I'll keep checking for instability.

hignaki said:
I've used it, and it works beautifully. It IS possible to retain the browser when "downgrading" to 1.5, but most people don't do it.

Sweet. Keep us filled in on that. I finally have an excuse to get one of those new Ceramic White PSPs.

CEpeep said:
Sweet. Keep us filled in on that. I finally have an excuse to get one of those new Ceramic White PSPs.
Update: so far, it's been stable when playing games using the "dirty" downgrade, but there may be a problem with the white PSP's. Don't they come with the 2.0 preinstalled? If anything were to go wrong with mine, I can always "default load" the 1.5 firmware, because that's what I came with. If you got a problem, you'd have to go "back" to the 2.0.

Of course, there's no harm in trying.

I REALLY wish I had a white one; black is NOT beautiful anymore. :p

I can't seem to keep the web browser when I downgrade to 1.5 using your method...any more details that might help me?

rm19 said:
Umm...yes, and it has been for quite some time. Too bad the max program size allowed thus far is 64kB, though I am sure that will change.

Blue Fox: did you restart instead of hitting O at the error screen? If you hit O, the browser dissapears, but if you don't, it should stay. Of course, I'm no expert. It may work on some, but not on others, I"m guessing. The comment section of pspupdates had a few people saying they kept the browser as I did, and others, like you, asking "How?", so it may not apply to everybody :( Any chance someone else has tried my method?

now i might buy one. i just want a nes/snes emulater lol. i doubt i would play any psp games

hignaki said:
Umm...yes, and it has been for quite some time. Too bad the max program size allowed thus far is 64kB, though I am sure that will change.

I guess I should have read more than the headline. Oh well...

rm19 said:
I guess I should have read more than the headline. Oh well...
That 64kb of code allows you to downgrade your psp though...and on the 1.5 firmware you can use any homebrew programs regardless of size. If you wish to use the web browser again, you just need to upgrade to 2.0...and if you want your homebrew games back, downgrade to 1.5 once again. It might be a little tedious, but quite useful.

Back