PSN: Credit Card Details Up For Sale

HardOCP News

[H] News
This just keeps getting worse by the day. Nice to know that the whole time Sony has kept users in the dark, hackers have been trying to sell them back our credit card info for $100,000. :(

The New York Times reports that Sony has been offered the chance to to buy back the information for a sum in the region of $100k but has ignored requests. Sony, however, won't confirm the claims.

Oh please, if they actually had the CC information for every saved card on PSN they could get a lot more than $100K for it...

Oh please, if they actually had the CC information for every saved card on PSN they could get a lot more than $100K for it...
Thats what I'm thinking too. 2.2 million CC numbers is worth a lot more than 100k, lol.

Fucking scammers trying to scam Sony, lol.

Yeah, there should be "Maybe"s and "Possibly"s and "Allegedly"s all over the place.

Sony needs to get PSN up and running to the point that I can login and see which, if any, credit card I had on file with them. Argh.

Sony needs to get PSN up and running to the point that I can login and see which, if any, credit card I had on file with them. Argh.

^^^ This, I signed up for PSN 2 years ago and my PS3 has a layer of dust on it but I can't remember for the life of me what card if any I have on there.

I called and had all of mine changed.

I can't believe how poorly their handling this. On the plus side, I bet we get a $5 credit to PSN for our inconveniences... maybe $10 if, or should I say when, the class action suit settles....

My advice to anybody is to just register a fraud alert now. Don't wait.
I already had a fraud alert and cancelled a bunch of cards, but man, it is getting dangerous out there.

One things for sure, I wont be sticking a CC into PSN anymore.

I agree, as another couple posters here said, I can't remember what CC I have on PSN either.

Time to get a Roku and just use the PS3 for blue rays and Hot shots golf!

Even if it were true that the Credit Card info got hacked, it would still have to be decrypted to reveal the actual numbers, addresses etc.
Now if they actually managed to sell it back to Sony, whats to stop them from keeping a copy of the data, and decrypt it later for other scams? THAT WAY THEY SCAMMED SONY OF A 100k and who knows how much they'll profit from selling this info to others as well?

Some of you need to understand, once its gone, you say good bye!

Best option is to cancel your card, and/or monitor it closely every day (banks provide daily credit card statements on cell phone or via email).

--
Dr. Insight

In other news, people should be monitoring their cards all the time anyway. When most credit fraud happens, its small scale and happens at random times.

^^^ This, I signed up for PSN 2 years ago and my PS3 has a layer of dust on it but I can't remember for the life of me what card if any I have on there.

Search for email from this sender: [email protected]

It will show you the last 4 digits of the CC you used.

Search for email from this sender: [email protected]

It will show you the last 4 digits of the CC you used.

I got the first email, but never got one from that email. I take it they are contacting people who had CCs registered differently? I never bought anything from PSN, so I don't think they have my CC number.

Virtual account numbers > *

The actual card number is never revealed to the merchant and the virtual number can only be used with only one merchant. If someone tries to use it with another one the number is automatically void. On top of that you control when the number expires and how much money can be charged to the virtual account, so you could just create one with a limit for the exact amount of the transaction you are going to make and make it expire right after the transaction is complete.

If you CC does not offer this option get a better credit card that offers it.

Same here-- I searched my email for sony and found a few receipts they sent me and it had the last 4 numbers of the card listed. Luckily for me it was an old card and has since expired.

Virtual account numbers > *

The actual card number is never revealed to the merchant and the virtual number can only be used with only one merchant. If someone tries to use it with another one the number is automatically void. On top of that you control when the number expires and how much money can be charged to the virtual account, so you could just create one with a limit for the exact amount of the transaction you are going to make and make it expire right after the transaction is complete.

If you CC does not offer this option get a better credit card that offers it.

Is this something that most companies offer? For free?

The safe bet would be to call every credit card company you're with, and tell them you lost the card. Problem solved.

to me this has been the first real big problem I have had with PSN. In the past any problems with it was fixed pretty fast. So for a free service it is kind of hard to complain about it. Unless you are like me and pay for the PSN Plus. But I have been needing to change my passwords and update my info for awhile. So something good came out of this at least.

Even if it were true that the Credit Card info got hacked, it would still have to be decrypted to reveal the actual numbers, addresses etc.
Now if they actually managed to sell it back to Sony, whats to stop them from keeping a copy of the data, and decrypt it later for other scams? THAT WAY THEY SCAMMED SONY OF A 100k and who knows how much they'll profit from selling this info to others as well?

Some of you need to understand, once its gone, you say good bye!

Best option is to cancel your card, and/or monitor it closely every day (banks provide daily credit card statements on cell phone or via email).

--
Dr. Insight
I don't think they encrypted the credit card data.

2291.jpg

Stupid sony. I will never buy a sony product again. I already dislike their TVs after being a TV salesmen for a while (way overpriced junk). But I still was ok with the video games systems but now I will refuse to buy one of their products, maybe ill get a ps3 second hand to jailbreak though ;)

Oh please, just because its a tech company people are crying that they got their number stolen. If you haven't had it done ever to you then you live in a sheltered world.

Though the 100K for data is just PR. If they were offered to do that. Sony and law enforcement would of immediately paid it so they could trace the money trail.

They released a statement saying credit card data was encrypted. It was rather ambiguous about passwords...

The problem is that depending on how far in the hackers got they may have gotten the encryption key as well.

They released a statement saying credit card data was encrypted. It was rather ambiguous about passwords...

Yea and if you really believe that then I have a gold plated bridge to sell you. Not trying to be funny but Sony has not been so forth-comming with information. Sony has tried to cover this over big time.

Now lets chat about that plain text wide open dev network, you know the one where you can use fake CC numbers to buy stuff from PSN. If their dev network was such in sorry shape whos to say the rest of it wasnt so screwed up.

If it wasnt then why are they SONY rebuilding the entire PSN from the ground up. If the front end was so "encrypted and secure" then why do a total rebuild and waste time on a total network outage. Just rebuild the dev network.

They are rebuilding it from scratch ( ground up ) because it all sucked ass and was wide open if you knew how to do it, ie, hack.

As the other posters said, better be safe than sorry. Contact your CC holder aka bank or who ever and get it changed. Nothing might happen but its better to be safe than sorry later when you get a big ass bill in the mail.

Wizz

Yea and if you really believe that then I have a gold plated bridge to sell you. Not trying to be funny but Sony has not been so forth-comming with information. Sony has tried to cover this over big time.

Now lets chat about that plain text wide open dev network, you know the one where you can use fake CC numbers to buy stuff from PSN. If their dev network was such in sorry shape whos to say the rest of it wasnt so screwed up.

Wizz

Umm its a dev network, a lot of them are setup like that. Its primarily for testing and its much easier to test if you let people dump in 4111111111111111 for a CC number and fill the rest of the user information with bullshit.

Because any lie they tell now will make things so much worse for them. They're already being investigated by multiple governments. No matter how stupid a company is, their lawyers would not let them make a statement like that unless it was true.

I have to laugh about this, I mean, only a few weeks ago did Sony start suing GeoHot and Anonymous was all like "Good luck." Then started the DDoS'ing, and everyone thought Anon couldn't really do anything.

...now look what happened. Obviously, this might not be Anon at all, but someone wanted to do this pretty bad.

If someone used a CC on the PSN, I really don't see any point in waiting around to see if something happens. Life's too short.

It's very easy to simply get the card canceled, get the new one sent to you, pay $20 to get it over nighted like I did if you need it fast, and then put a 90 day watch on your credit report, which is also easy and free, with something like this: http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp

Easy steps for a lot greater peace of mine and no guess work. It's a lot easier to take pre-emptive steps vs. trying to clean up a mess afterwards IMO. :)

I certainly would not believe any of the whitewashing Sony PR damage control spin on any of this. Assume the worst and take the easy steps I outlined above.

If someone used a CC on the PSN, I really don't see any point in waiting around to see if something happens. Life's too short.

It's very easy to simply get the card canceled, get the new one sent to you, pay $20 to get it over nighted like I did if you need it fast, and then put a 90 day watch on your credit report, which is also easy and free, with something like this: http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp

Easy steps for a lot greater peace of mine and no guess work. It's a lot easier to take pre-emptive steps vs. trying to clean up a mess afterwards IMO. :)

I certainly would not believe any of the whitewashing Sony PR damage control spin on any of this. Assume the worst and take the easy steps I outlined above.

Or you could pay nothing since there is no evidence that CC information was actually taken at this point in time. But hey if it was worth $20 to you, go for it.

Hahahaha *points and laughs at everyone in thread* hahahahhaa *points more* and Sony will still live and survive hahahhaha *unable to point any more* Sony is unstoppable *trying to breath* and you can't do anything about it X-D

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

When there's doubt then there's no doubt. (I love that quote)

I simply didn't feel satisfied taking Sony's word on this subject at all.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Hackers_put_up_PSN_Credit_Card_Info_for_Sale/551-115147-585.html

^^ Case in point.

Back