PSA:UPS&FedEx changing how they calculate shipping charges starting 12/29/2014

SunnyD

2[H]4U
This is actually a fairly old announcement dating back to June and May respectively, but I noticed it hasn't been mentioned here.

As of December 29th, 2014 UPS will be calculating the billable weight of ALL packages using "dimensional weight".

In short, it doesn't matter how heavy your package is anymore, it matters how big it is in dimension. For example, if you currently have a package that is 20"x20"x10" that only weighs about 10lbs (your typical game console maybe), under current rules you get billed for 10lbs.

Under the new rules, that same package would be billed at 24lbs using the formula (LxWxH)/166. Note, this formula is already used for packages that exceed 5184 cubic inches.

Just a heads up for everybody/anybody that typically uses UPS for shipping. It's about to generally get more expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, FedEx announced the same change back in May as well.

FedEx's changes go into effect on January 1st, 2015 and affect Ground and Freight services. I have not been able to find any published rate for FedEx's rate calculations as of this posting.

Last edited:
I've slowly stopped using UPS for shipping as it's usually more expensive than the USPS. Guess with this change I will be shipping with the USPS even more frequently now.

Well that sucks.

As far as Fedex is concerned, it sounds like Express (1 & 2 day) is not included. Hope I am reading that right because I use their overnight service more than frequently.

Also, maybe I glossed over it in the links provided, but where does the divisor of 166 come from?

Well that sucks.

As far as Fedex is concerned, it sounds like Express (1 & 2 day) is not included. Hope I am reading that right because I use their overnight service more than frequently.

Also, maybe I glossed over it in the links provided, but where does the divisor of 166 come from?

That's just UPS's arbitrary number. I think FedEx's is 183.

Back