PSA to Sellers of iPhones: don't be anal about providing info.

livfree

[H]ard|Gawd
A PSA to all sellers: Nobody is going to rob you, hurt you, get you arrested, or otherwise harm you with the IMEI number of the device you're selling.

Useful things the buyer can determine from the IMEI of an iPhone: Purchase date, warranty status, any affected recalls, if it's under contract/financed, compatibility with their carrier/MVNO, check if it's stolen, check the iCloud lock status, etc. All legitimate concerns.

Negative things the buyer can do: literally nothing on an LTE phone. They would need the ICCID (sim card number) as well to activate a LTE phone, and that's about the worst they can do. pay for your phone.

I use http://iphoneimei.info before buying any iPhone over $100. It provides a great bit of the above info, which will reassure the the buyer and validate that it's a legitimate item.

This isn't me saying 'post it in the description of your eBay listing' (although no harm can really come there either), but 'Give the IMEI to someone reputable that asks'. Refusing to give out the IMEI of a device to someone here with 10x the stats of you doesn't do anything except make you look shady.

Now, a PSA to all buyers: DO NOT BUY AN EXPENSIVE IPHONE FROM A PRIVATE SELLER IF THE SELLER REFUSES TO PROVIDE THE IMEI. NEVER. IN ANY EVENT, FOR ANY REASON. IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK.

This isn't directed at a certain member here, but rather at the general public that comes across this. I deal with phones every day.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I wiped my phone put it up for sale, gave out the phone imei numbers and whatnot and then boom, the phone got spoofed in china. Only way to unlock it was to go to an apple store with the phone and the original receipt to unbrick my phone.

I too wouldn't be so quick to offer this though I probably would for an established trader. If you're a newbie and decide that my 120+ positive heatwave rating and 11 years on the forum aren't safe enough for you then I'm probably not your seller regardless. Chances are good I'm already doubting doing business with you anyway.

So in other words, give the IMEI to serious buyers only...?

why was this specific to iPhones? this could have been a PSA to sellers of phones. The best PSA for buying apple products is simply don't.

I beg to differ. I wiped my phone put it up for sale, gave out the phone imei numbers and whatnot and then boom, the phone got spoofed in china. Only way to unlock it was to go to an apple store with the phone and the original receipt to unbrick my phone.

I literally have never actually heard this happen to someone personally...holy shit lol. Guess there's always the 1 in a million chance posting on ebay or whatever, this was more aimed at forum though.

I too wouldn't be so quick to offer this though I probably would for an established trader. If you're a newbie and decide that my 120+ positive heatwave rating and 11 years on the forum aren't safe enough for you then I'm probably not your seller regardless. Chances are good I'm already doubting doing business with you anyway.

I wouldn't buy a phone from you if you wouldn't give me the IMEI with myself having more than reasonable feedback, it's just a liability thing like mentioned. DPOSCORP even gave them to me when i had probably 40 feedback prior to purchase, he's like the 4th best trader on heatware period.

So in other words, give the IMEI to serious buyers only...?

Eh. I would give it to anyone who had a few heat/a couple months active here personally.

why was this specific to iPhones? this could have been a PSA to sellers of phones. The best PSA for buying apple products is simply don't.

iPhone IMEIs are easier to get info from and viewed as more sensitive for whatever reason.

I have a question along the lines of this thread: I just sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Swappa. Do I need to keep the SIM card? I made no explicit mention of it including or not including the SIM card. My ad just said "working Galaxy S5 with 8GB micro-SD card and nothing else."

Mainly, does the SIM belong to me or the phone?

EDIT: I Googled and found what I need to know - keep the SIM card.

Last edited:
I have a question along the lines of this thread: I just sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Swappa. Do I need to keep the SIM card? I made no explicit mention of it including or not including the SIM card. My ad just said "working Galaxy S5 with 8GB micro-SD card and nothing else."

Mainly, does the SIM belong to me or the phone?

Carriers like AT&T and Tmobile (and all GSM carriers AFAIK) have disposable sims that can't be reactivated by someone else. Definitely toss them, no use to anyone.

As for CDMA carriers like Verizon/Sprint/USC, they CAN be reprogramed, but they can get a SIM from the carrier. Won't hurt to include, but I wouldn't personally.

Checking an IMEI can give you some useful information about a phone, but there is no guarantee that the phone is safe to buy. One of the latest scams is to sell a phone that is financed and not paid for but the payments are current. The phone has a "clear" imei and has not been blocked by the carrier "at that time". You buy the phone and all is well until the seller pays no more on the phone and about 90 days later the carrier "BLOCKS" the phone. It can no longer be activated on any US carrier. Tough luck-all over. If you go to the carrier you cannot even pay off the balance. This is becoming very common on Craig's List. Some, many, of these scammers work in a phone store and have access to customers phone records. They sometimes "buy or upgrade" a new phone in an existing customers name who has no idea. They may even make a payment or two on the account. They sell the phone on C'L for cash and pocket several hundred bucks they are out only a payment or two. The account was not even their name.

You should check the IMEI number and also check to see if that phone is eligible to be activated on it's carrier (if it is an ATT branded phone go to their website and enter the IMEI) where you can check if the phone can be authorized in the Bring your own phone section. You will probably not be able to "carrier unlock" the phone if it is financed even if the account is current at that time. Even if you did it still could be BLOCKED. The only possibility is if you can get the manufacturer unlock code, say from Samsung or whoever made the phone. This is not easy to do and is not always possible. If you find yourself in this situation PM me and I may be able to direct you how to try.
You simply cannot check the account with a carrier to find out if a phone is paid for. You do not have the account information and they will not tell you.

This is what makes buying a used phone or even a new one, not from an authorized source, ALWAYS carries some risk. If you know who you are buying from and trust them fine. Just be aware .

Also, when buying/selling iDevices, PLEASE remove the activation/iCloud lock from them FIRST! This should be done and verified before even listing it for sale since it's a giant hassle to muddle through afterwards.

Giving out the IMEI ahead of time is a big NO NO. There is a reason why Swappa doesn't display the IMEI number to the public. People can easily call the provider and blacklist that phone with that #. People need to understand that the IMEI is not given out for a reason and don't complain if you don't get it.

Giving out the IMEI ahead of time is a big NO NO. There is a reason why Swappa doesn't display the IMEI number to the public. People can easily call the provider and blacklist that phone with that #. People need to understand that the IMEI is not given out for a reason and don't complain if you don't get it.
This - unfortunately there is no verification with providers, so all that needs to happen is you call up your provider and say "oh hey, my phone was stolen, here is the IMEI" and all of a sudden that phone is a brick in the US.

Back