PSA: This Week Might Be Your Last Chance to Get Windows 10 for Free

Anyone who hasn't already done this may not know. But upgrading doesn't deactivate your previous Windows version key. So you can try it out risk-free.

So there's no checks at all if you use assistive technology?
Nope, no checks at all. I always took it as an unofficial extension of the 10 Upgrade Offer to get anyone who missed the official deadline.

Also, I have a feeling that if you download the Windows 10 Install tool and create media, that it will continue to accept Windows 7 and 8 keys even after the 'Assistive Technologies' deadline has expired. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Hmmm might toss this on my Win8 laptop because... win8... although that thing is old and my batteries don't hold a charge for shit anymore, I basically use it when I need to proctor a test, but a tablet is fast becoming an alternative to that.

I've been hearing "this is your last chance to get Windows 10 for free" for 2 years now.

Enough already.

Clearly, it's more Microsoft lame-o marketing.

No doubt will will hear this same crap again in 6 months.

????????????? Well, I have heard nothing of the sort compared to what you have. Also, I have heard nothing trumpeted about receiving a free upgrade by using the Windows Media Creation tool and inputting the Windows 7 key, which is not associated with the assistive technologies, at all.

Linux is already free, why should I use a shitty OS that has built-in ads and runs like a slug? Hell, I can play all the games I care about on Linux, do the work I need to do, and update within a minute, unlike days to update...

Yeah, Windows 10, no thanks, even Free doesn't matter.

Linux is already free, why should I use a shitty OS that has built-in ads and runs like a slug? Hell, I can play all the games I care about on Linux, do the work I need to do, and update within a minute, unlike days to update...

Tell me about dirty cow, and then dirty cow 2.

*snort*

????????????? Well, I have heard nothing of the sort compared to what you have. Also, I have heard nothing trumpeted about receiving a free upgrade by using the Windows Media Creation tool and inputting the Windows 7 key, which is not associated with the assistive technologies, at all.
The new build i did last month for a customer used the "free upgrade by using the Windows Media Creation tool and inputting the Windows 7 key" , it worked perfectly.

It's been a nice ride, recycling Windows 7 keys to get on the latest Windows OS, but since we haven't had anything like this before, I suppose all good things must come to an end. Of course, keep in mind, the prices quoted above are for Retail, not OEM. Most people building their own computers will use the OEM version.

Now the thing that is not mentioned, if recycling Windows 7 keys for new installs will still work. This "PSA" is only mentioning the "Free Upgrade" on already installed systems. If you haven't upgraded from 7/8 to 10 already, chances are you aren't going to do it until you buy a new system.

Also, I have a feeling that if you download the Windows 10 Install tool and create media, that it will continue to accept Windows 7 and 8 keys even after the 'Assistive Technologies' deadline has expired. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Now the thing that is not mentioned, if recycling Windows 7 keys for new installs will still work.

Yes, this still works. I've done several new installs for customers (with Win 7/8 keys) over the past few weeks and had zero issues.

Well it sounds like YOU shouldn't. Meanwhile, only a minority of all the games I want to play run on Linux, so guess what? I'm handcuffed to Windows regardless of other considerations if I want to run my games.

Free Win10 is cool and all, but let me tell you about all the benefits of a Mac.....

Nope, no checks at all. I always took it as an unofficial extension of the 10 Upgrade Offer to get anyone who missed the official deadline.

Last I tried, which was maybe earlier this year, the Windows 10 installation process does accept Windows 7 keys. I'm sure it's not by accident, but because Microsoft is desperate to have as many people use Windows 10 as possible, and profits off of each new Windows 10 user (by stealing and selling their personal data), but doesn't want to be publicly embarrassed by showing it, and by indicating that it's campaign to get Windows 10 installed on 1 billion devices within 2 - 3 years of Windows 10's release has failed miserably.

I'm looking forward to the end of these "loop holes" that Microsoft leaves open for people to still get Windows 10 for free. Hopefully it means that more people will just keep using Windows 7 and 8.

It's been a nice ride, recycling Windows 7 keys to get on the latest Windows OS, but since we haven't had anything like this before, I suppose all good things must come to an end. Of course, keep in mind, the prices quoted above are for Retail, not OEM. Most people building their own computers will use the OEM version.

Now the thing that is not mentioned, if recycling Windows 7 keys for new installs will still work. This "PSA" is only mentioning the "Free Upgrade" on already installed systems. If you haven't upgraded from 7/8 to 10 already, chances are you aren't going to do it until you buy a new system.

hmmmm Now that MS tracks and keeps track of your Win10 OS keys via MS account wonder if saving a little on OEM might not be worth it any more?

hmmmm Now that MS tracks and keeps track of your Win10 OS keys via MS account wonder if saving a little on OEM might not be worth it any more?

If you install Windows 10 with an offline account, the key isn't associated with a MS account.

all the games 'you care about' is an interesting caveat...not the same as plays all the games that Windows does nor all the games that someone else might be interested in...Linux is not for gamers

I was just doing some counts of 2016-2017 releases on Steam. About 1200 for Linux and 7400 for Windows this year. That's in comparison to about 1100 for Linux and 5000 for Windows in 2016. And it's not just AAA games, indie Linux game development has really cooled off, which is where the 50% growth in Windows games came from. A game like Cuphead didn't even make it to OS X at launch.

will I still be able to install windows 10 from ISO by using a Windows 7 key?

Linux very much is for gamers, don't fool yourself. There are more games that run natively on Linux, than all the current gen consoles COMBINED. Xbox One, PS4, Switch AND Wii U.

How the fuck is that not enough?

There are literally thousands of games playable on Linux, native, RIGHT NOW, and even more with a bit of elbow grease.

all the games 'you care about' is an interesting caveat...not the same as plays all the games that Windows does nor all the games that someone else might be interested in...Linux is not for gamers

Linux very much is for gamers, don't fool yourself. There are more games that run natively on Linux, than all the current gen consoles COMBINED. Xbox One, PS4, Switch AND Wii U.

There are literally thousands of games playable on Linux, native, RIGHT NOW, and even more with a bit of elbow grease.

Using this logic there are 4.5 times more games for Windows than Linux on Steam. The issue with gaming on Linux for people who are actually more interested in gaming than operating systems is two fold. First, almost no AAA titles, not a problem for the Xbox and PS. Secondly, indie game development on Windows has EXPLODED the last couple of years and tons of those games aren't making it to Linux and often not even OS X.

Suck my taint Microsoft, don't even want that POS of yours for free.

For starters, it's not competing against consoles. It's competing against Windows. You can keep your exact same hardware.

You say how is that not enough? That's easy. All you have to do is find a PC game you want to play and then tada, Linux doesn't run it. Then suddenly those thousands of games it does run doesn't matter so much, because that's not what you wanted to play. Now if this was a 1 out of 100 case where you couldn't run your game, then you would have a point as far as game compatibility issues not being not that big a deal, but we're not even close to that. With about 1/3 of the steam library supported on Linux, that means randomly, you're more likely to NOT run the game you want, then you are to run it. If you're happy with those odds, more power to you. Most gamers are not happy with not being able to run 2/3 of games they're interested in. It's only fine for gaming if you don't care WHICH games you play.

If you want to make this real world, here's a list of the best rated PC games of 2017 by PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games-2017/

How many of those run natively on Linux? My guess is it's going to be 1/3 if not less. Sure, you can maybe run a couple more through WINE and deal with the additional bugs that may entail.

"Being able to run some games" is not the same thing as "very much for gamers."

For starters, it's not competing against consoles. It's competing against Windows. You can keep your exact same hardware.

You say how is that not enough? That's easy. All you have to do is find a PC game you want to play and then tada, Linux doesn't run it. Then suddenly those thousands of games it does run doesn't matter so much, because that's not what you wanted to play. Now if this was a 1 out of 100 case where you couldn't run your game, then you would have a point as far as game compatibility issues not being not that big a deal, but we're not even close to that. With about 1/3 of the steam library supported on Linux, that means randomly, you're more likely to NOT run the game you want, then you are to run it. If you're happy with those odds, more power to you. Most gamers are not happy with not being able to run 2/3 of games they're interested in. It's only fine for gaming if you don't care WHICH games you play.

If you want to make this real world, here's a list of the best rated PC games of 2017 by PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games-2017/

How many of those run natively on Linux? My guess is it's going to be 1/3 if not less. Sure, you can maybe run a couple more through WINE and deal with the additional bugs that may entail.

"Being able to run some games" is not the same thing as "very much for gamers."

Think you had it about right, I counted 68 games on that list with 20 having native Linux versions.

Your statement was that Linux is not for gaming, and I pointed out there are more games than there are for systems DEDICATED TO GAMING. It is IRRELEVANT how many games are on Windows. This isn't a dick measurement competition. GAMING IS ON LINUX.

Whatever fucking excuse you want to use, do whatever man. Meanwhile, I'm having fun, and plenty others are, GAMING ON LINUX.

Using this logic there are 4.5 times more games for Windows than Linux on Steam. The issue with gaming on Linux for people who are actually more interested in gaming than operating systems is two fold. First, almost no AAA titles, not a problem for the Xbox and PS. Secondly, indie game development on Windows has EXPLODED the last couple of years and tons of those games aren't making it to Linux and often not even OS X.

Your statement was that Linux is not for gaming, and I pointed out there are more games than there are for systems DEDICATED TO GAMING. It is IRRELEVANT how many games are on Windows. This isn't a dick measurement competition. GAMING IS ON LINUX.

Whatever fucking excuse you want to use, do whatever man. Meanwhile, I'm having fun, and plenty others are, GAMING ON LINUX.
So Windows is irrelevant in a thread about Windows?

Back