PSA: Stay away from Hitman Absolution if you like the series.

I've played ALL the hitman games religiously, I KNOW what they need to be. This isn't it. That said, I've stated numerously that this game has MASSIVE potential, I think Q can back me up here on that. I'm still playing the game, and it's 'fun', but it's not Hitman TO ME. That's JUST ME.

I had a discussion with Q last night about the developer process (having actually worked in the video game field as a programmer). Long story short, they fucked up, and now they'll hopefully reconcile everything. We can hope it'll be the 'patch' fix that we not only need, but want.

Right.

I'm convinced that one 500-600mb tweak patch done right is all that it would take. We're not talking about reinventing the wheel. Simply refinements.

Last edited:
There's not one rational sentence or argument for your dissatisfied position in that bunch of rabble. What's the point of this whining? What is it exactly you don't like so much? And how come thats going to negate all the things the game does right?

ok so now it's whining. seems maybe you got a reading comprehension problem too, these posts aren't going anywhere so you can just take your time and sound out the words. problem seems to be you decided for some reason you need to disagree with any criticism, even though you clearly got no idea what anyone is talking about or what makes this game so different from the rest. since 5 pages of examples later, you still can't keep up with the discussion.

again just curious, what is your point and why are you here. if you disagree with the op, you've said nothing about what makes this fit in with any previous games.

Hold on, nowhere did I say this game is perfect. Read my first post in the hitman thread. But a curious number of people think the game is "broken" just because they dont agree with the tweaking to the detection system. It's not broken. Its not working well on the higher difficulties but if you get too frustrated you could turn it down. Saying the game is "broken" is rediculous if you actually tried the game. You don't throw an entire game under the bus (especially one that's promising in a number of other ways) because you disagree with the tweaking thats done to one aspect of the game compared to a precessor, right at release. Smells an awful lot like certain people just wants the game to fail.

Sidenote: The devs already said a while ago they are looking into tweaking the detection system. You can find that information on the official whineforum. lol

it's not a "tweak". they gutted out key aspects like bounties, loadouts, and notoriety, then replaced it with some binary identity check, and a free hall pass at the touch of a button. this completely changes the entire mechanics of disguises. good or bad they didn't even bother to balance it for all modes of the game... so all that's left is a joke mode with half the npcs and a magic button that makes you invisible.

it's not a "tweak". they gutted out key aspects like bounties, loadouts, and notoriety, then replaced it with some binary identity check, and a free hall pass at the touch of a button. this completely changes the entire mechanics of disguises. good or bad they didn't even bother to balance it for all modes of the game... so all that's left is a joke mode with half the npcs and a magic button that makes you invisible.

Pretty much.

PATCH!

Square Enix, IO Interactive, and Nixxes are making a first patch (1.0.438.0) available for Hitman: Absolution on PC.

This patches provides the following improvements:

- Players using the Russian language will no longer crash as soon as they use the sniper rifle.
- Various issues that have been seen on specific configurations that caused the game to not be able to start up at all have been addressed.
- Problems with the Sniper Challenge Unlocks not carrying over into Hitman: Absolution have been addressed. On first starting the patched game you will receive your unlocks.
o Note that North American users that have been provided the Sniper Challenge by Gamestop will need a separate unlock key in addition to this. Gamestop can provide these.
- Problems with negative level-scores have been fixed. Newly accomplished positive scores will be needed to erase your incorrectly remembered negative scores.
- A problem with keyboard and mouse controls where users would accidentally melee attack a person next to them when they intended to throw an item has been addressed.
- Legal and Intro movies can now be skipped immediately on startup after the game, on all launches but the very first on a machine.
- DirectX 10 hardware can now enable the simplest version of the Depth Of Field effect.
- Problems with audio occasionally being muted after ALT-TAB have been fixed.
- Various localization fixes.
- Miscellaneous other stability and general improvements based on crashes we have seen coming in.

Note that the above is really just our first set of fixes. We are continuing to monitor things and expect to provide further patches in the future.

We hope this patch will help everyone enjoy Hitman: Absolution!

370 MB in size. It's a start. Some signs of movement. :)

It's a different game, get over it. Bounties and notoriety were just as binary, all it did was change the scale at the beginning of the mission and keep it constant throughout, much like an extra "difficulty" modifier (and all the redundancy that implies). 47 is on the run in this game and the game occurs over a shorter time period. Furthermore he isn't officially backed and there's no way for him to get something dropped in by the Agency that is chasing and trying to kill him. If you want an optional "re-do" mode where you can go through missions with whatever weapons you want, fine, but it has nothing to do with what this game is all about.

I agree that the disguise system and instinct system need some tweaking, but I like the concept and it's a much more realistic turn in the series than "hey, look at this 6ft+ bald white guy running around an Indian resort and no one notices because he just swivels back and forth around corners" nonsense of previous games.

I'm glad you can skip the intros now...god, that was annoying.

Nothing but technical fixes it looks like. Still, at least they're supporting it.

I still seem to get mega-stutter with the game at various points. Hopefully they address that sometime.

It's a different game, get over it.

Sweep under the rug excuse.

Bounties and notoriety were just as binary, all it did was change the scale at the beginning of the mission and keep it constant throughout, much like an extra "difficulty" modifier (and all the redundancy that implies). 47 is on the run in this game and the game occurs over a shorter time period. Furthermore he isn't officially backed and there's no way for him to get something dropped in by the Agency that is chasing and trying to kill him. If you want an optional "re-do" mode where you can go through missions with whatever weapons you want, fine, but it has nothing to do with what this game is all about.

This is complete nonsense every time I see someone try to softpedal it.

Come on. This is AGENT 47. You really think HE wouldn't have some "worse case scenario" goodies and assets for himself?

I agree that the disguise system and instinct system need some tweaking,

There's some hope for some meaningful discussion here after all.

... but I like the concept and it's a much more realistic turn in the series than "hey, look at this 6ft+ bald white guy running around an Indian resort and no one notices because he just swivels back and forth around corners" nonsense of previous games.

There's potential here but again, as is, it's broken.

I'll wait to see what patches do for the game before buying this. I agree with most of what you're saying makes a good Hitman game. It just sounds too unbalanced. Like they have most of the puzzle right, but the pieces don't quite fit together.

I'll wait to see what patches do for the game before buying this. I agree with most of what you're saying makes a good Hitman game. It just sounds too unbalanced. Like they have most of the puzzle right, but the pieces don't quite fit together.

Exactly right. There's some great moments in this game and like some of us have been saying: Refinements are what need to happen here, not reinventing the wheel.

There's a lot to like here and if those refinements happen it could put the thing over the top.

If I were grading this game right now in its present form I'd be hovering in the 75/100 range thereabouts.

If they employ of the refinements we're talking about that score will easily hit 80 and possibly go past that depending on what they do and how much they do.

If you see it at GMG for $36 after the coupon I have NO problems recommending this game at that kind of price point even now.

Sweep under the rug excuse.
No, it's a realistic and adult interpretation of the situation, you should try it. Change isn't all bad unless you're two years old.
This is complete nonsense every time I see someone try to softpedal it.
Because it's true and you don't want to admit it. A lot of the previous game mechanics didn't make a lot of sense either but you see people in this thread clinging to them because they're familiar.
Come on. This is AGENT 47. You really think HE wouldn't have some "worse case scenario" goodies and assets for himself?
He's Agent 47, why would he need them? After the first mission in the game he literally says to Victoria something along the lines of "we need to get you somewhere safe, the Agency knows all of my safehouses and hideouts." Like I said if you want to be able to tackle missions with whatever gear you want, petition to have a "ops mode" made or something where you can select what you want to use.
There's some hope for some meaningful discussion here after all.
There's potential here but again, as is, it's broken.
So all your arguments come down to "I'm right and every other opinion is stupid and if you don't agree with me I'm going to stamp my feet and whine." Glad to know, I won't waste my time further. :rolleyes:

I'm barely able to clear my schedule for FarCry 3. Hitman will have to wait for the Holidays.
I'll be lucky to finish up the content restored version of KotOR2 this weekend. Nice overtime, though!.

No, it's a realistic and adult interpretation of the situation, you should try it. Change isn't all bad unless you're two years old.
Because it's true and you don't want to admit it. A lot of the previous game mechanics didn't make a lot of sense either but you see people in this thread clinging to them because they're familiar.
He's Agent 47, why would he need them? After the first mission in the game he literally says to Victoria something along the lines of "we need to get you somewhere safe, the Agency knows all of my safehouses and hideouts." Like I said if you want to be able to tackle missions with whatever gear you want, petition to have a "ops mode" made or something where you can select what you want to use.
So all your arguments come down to "I'm right and every other opinion is stupid and if you don't agree with me I'm going to stamp my feet and whine." Glad to know, I won't waste my time further. :rolleyes:

Relax. We're just trying to get to a point where the game isn't a crap fest at higher difficulties because of game mechanics failing to work properly.

"It's a different game get over it." isn't good enough. Sorry.

I like disguises as much as the next guy, and "covering your face" is neat too, but it doesn't work most of the time, and the meter drains in like .01 seconds. Going around the corner and appearing again isn't realistic.

http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/beinformedfolder/invalidarguments.htm

Now the ad homimens already?

Try again.

I've specified in two threads now where the issues are very specifically.

Because it's true and you don't want to admit it.

It's your truth and I disagree with it. I can admit that all day.

Again, I've written probably more than I should have in this thread and in the PC gaming area with very specific points which is more than I can say for you.

A lot of the previous game mechanics didn't make a lot of sense either but you see people in this thread clinging to them because they're familiar.

Some, yes.

Since it's obvious you haven't read carefully, you missed where I'd written earlier that Blood Money's disguise mechanic would not work in this game with the level design and setup the way it is, for example.

He's Agent 47, why would he need them?

LOL, because he's Agent 47?

After the first mission in the game he literally says to Victoria something along the lines of "we need to get you somewhere safe, the Agency knows all of my safehouses and hideouts."

Yes, and I found it a logic hole in the plot.

I simply couldn't believe THIS character...who would never trust anyone or any entity completely...wouldn't have a little private something off the grid for himself.

Even buried in a mound of dirt somewhere. ;)

Like I said if you want to be able to tackle missions with whatever gear you want, petition to have a "ops mode" made or something where you can select what you want to use.

Contracts *mostly* does this.

So all your arguments come down to "I'm right and every other opinion is stupid and if you don't agree with me I'm going to stamp my feet and whine."

YOU should talk!

Are you sure you don't have me confused with another forum member?

Glad to know, I won't waste my time further. :rolleyes:

You promise?

Relax. We're just trying to get to a point where the game isn't a crap fest at higher difficulties because of game mechanics failing to work properly.

I like disguises as much as the next guy, and "covering your face" is neat too, but it doesn't work most of the time, and the meter drains in like .01 seconds. Going around the corner and appearing again isn't realistic.

This.

Try again.

I've specificed in two threads now where the issues are specifically.

It's your truth and I disagree with it. Again, I've written probably more than I should have in this thread and the PC gaming area with very specific points which is more than I can say for you.

Some, yes.

Since it's obvious you haven't read carefully, you missed where I'd written earlier that Blood Money's disguise mechanic would not work in this game with the level design and setup the way it is, for example.

LOL, because he's Agent 47?

Yes, and I found it a logic hole in the plot. I simply couldn't believe THIS character...who would never trust anyone or any entity completely...wouldn't have a little private something off the grid for himself.

Even buried in a mound of dirt somewhere. ;)

Contracts *mostly* does this.

Shit, look in the mirror! YOU should talk!

You promise?

10/10. Would read again. :D

I like disguises as much as the next guy, and "covering your face" is neat too, but it doesn't work most of the time, and the meter drains in like .01 seconds.
This game isn't less of crapfest than other games at higher difficulties, unless you haven't played the other ones at the higher difficulties, in which case you should before you make that argument. It still relies on memorizing the pathways of NPC's and slipping past unnoticed. I've played through a good bit of the game on Purist and it's the same as the previous games. I already said I agree the disguise system doesn't scale well, but as I said it's never made sense anyway and this is a good step towards better realism.
Going around the corner and appearing again isn't realistic.
Not in this game, not in any of the four previous games, so why are you arguing for it?
http://www.intellectualloafing.com/activitiesfolder/beinformedfolder/invalidarguments.htm
Try again.
I've specified in two threads now where the issues are very specifically.
They're only ad hominems if you think they're true; point made. ;)
It's your truth and I disagree with it. I can admit that all day.
Again, I've written probably more than I should have in this thread and in the PC gaming area with very specific points which is more than I can say for you.
Repeating the same argument over and over doesn't make it any more correct; you should probably read more carefully through that "invalid arguments" list you posted.
This might come as a complete shock, but I could not care enough to read through all your ranting and raving; learn to summarize.

There's no problem tweaking this game to be a more polished product, but a lot of you simply aren't accepting a new direction in the series and are just whining.

I'm not understanding the backlash on this. We've played the game, we have specific, valid complaints...

This game isn't less of crapfest than other games at higher difficulties, unless you haven't played the other ones at the higher difficulties, in which case you should before you make that argument. It still relies on memorizing the pathways of NPC's and slipping past unnoticed. I've played through a good bit of the game on Purist and it's the same as the previous games. I already said I agree the disguise system doesn't scale well, but as I said it's never made sense anyway and this is a good step towards better realism.
Not in this game, not in any of the four previous games, so why are you arguing for it?

Repeating the same argument over and over doesn't make it any more correct; you should probably read more carefully through that "invalid arguments" list you posted.
This might come as a complete shock, but I could not care enough to read through all your ranting and raving; learn to summarize.

There's no problem tweaking this game to be a more polished product, but a lot of you simply aren't accepting a new direction in the series and are just whining.

We accept the new direction, but we just want a few things tweaked. If you've read anything, you should know that we think it's generally a good game, but with that big patch that is bound to come, hopefully, the game will be even better.

If you really don't care to read things because your time is so precious, that sucks. What makes you think anyone fucking cares what you think either with that attitude?

This thread needs to be shut down, asap.

I'm not understanding the backlash on this. We've played the game, we have specific, valid complaints...

It's America, there's a dick-head around every corner. Nothing new to see here.

I already said I agree the disguise system doesn't scale well, but as I said it's never made sense anyway and this is a good step towards better realism.

I didn't and haven't disagreed with this. What are arguing about here?

I don't think they're true. Let's not continue down this road.

Summary: Disguise mechanic needs refinement.

We accept the new direction, but we just want a few things tweaked. If you've read anything, you should know that we think it's generally a good game, but with that big patch that is bound to come, hopefully, the game will be even better.

Good summary. :)

If you really don't care to read things because your time is so precious, that sucks. What makes you think anyone fucking cares what you think either with that attitude?

Exactly.

Moving on...

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. The problem is whenever someone offers a slightly different take, opinion, or set of likes/dislikes, a few people in this thread jump on them and cannibalize the post with commentary against anything that isn't their own thoughts verbatim.

This thread needs to be shut down, asap.

It's America, there's a dick-head around every corner. Nothing new to see here.
Yes, let's shut down a thread because someone disagrees with you. :rolleyes:
I didn't and haven't disagreed with this. What are arguing about here?

I don't think they're true. Let's not continue down this road.

Summary: Disguise mechanic needs refinement.
I agree it does.
Anything he disagrees with is ranting, raving, and whining and he won't bother reading any of it. He's states as much. It's pretty clear.

Moving on...
I think you should turn that spotlight on yourself:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039360517&postcount=36
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039360887&postcount=38
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039371618&postcount=64
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039373294&postcount=68
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039376173&postcount=87

Anyway, not worth my time since you want to have a pity party and not a discussion.

Mr. K6 said:
Couldn't agree more. The problem is whenever someone offers a slightly different take, opinion, or set of likes/dislikes, a few people in this thread jump on them and cannibalize the post with commentary against anything that isn't their own thoughts verbatim.

:rolleyes: Ok. Sure. No no, you're right. I apologize.

To boil it down, the thread is rediculously one sided and paints a false picture of the quality of the game. i might actually agree with the points made, but definitely not the extend of the severity. Try to adopt this perspective and then note how NONE of the upsides of the game have been touched upon. Not only is there no fair balanced analysis going on, theres a willful ignorance of points that could remove focus from the petty drawbacks.

Finished the game on normal, had the most fun I've had in a singleplayer game for years. spent about 40 hours on the campaign going through normal just once! Its huge, its fun, and very atmospheric. And im still having fun with contracts. You dont get the notion that thats possible from reading this thread.

To boil it down, the thread is rediculously one sided and paints a false picture of the quality of the game. i might actually agree with the points made, but definitely not the extend of the severity. Try to adopt this perspective and then note how NONE of the upsides of the game have been touched upon. Not only is there no fair balanced analysis going on, theres a willful ignorance of points that could remove focus from the petty drawbacks.

Finished the game on normal, had the most fun I've had in a singleplayer game for years. spent about 40 hours on the campaign going through normal just once! Its huge, its fun, and very atmospheric. And im still having fun with contracts. You dont get the notion that thats possible from reading this thread.

This thread isn't about the positives of the game. The title should give that away. Pointing out that it is one sided doesn't give your opinion merit.

It's a good game. For me personally, it's not the best game I've played nor do I go out of my way to play the game. I wish that we're the case, believe me.

I enjoyed my playthru of the game, it wasn't the best in the series ( i really like blood money).

I'd said this at least in the other thread but I'll say it here, too: The positives most certainly DO outweigh the negatives and the 25 hours I got out of story mode were fun. :) I definitely had some "Hitman moments" throughout. ;)

A few tweaks and refinements put it over the top. When this thread I started I thought the thread title was way too harsh and I still do.

Overall the game is cool, but there are some changes that piss me off. I give zero fucks about people trying to rationalize the changes for some weird sense of loyalty to a game developer.

Graphics: Amazing
Sound: Amazing
Gameplay: Mostly amazing
Story: Pretty good so far

My issue.. equipment, I don't care what people try to use to rationalize. The world's best hitman is going to be able to get weapons in some way to utilize in his "on the run" mode AKA storyline. Not having any equipment you can utilize feels like it destroys half of the value of varied equipment/customizations/skills etc.

Contracts is pretty neat, but that's going to get old pretty fast.

Overall the game is cool, but there are some changes that piss me off. I give zero fucks about people trying to rationalize the changes for some weird sense of loyalty to a game developer.

Graphics: Amazing
Sound: Amazing
Gameplay: Mostly amazing
Story: Pretty good so far

My issue.. equipment, I don't care what people try to use to rationalize. The world's best hitman is going to be able to get weapons in some way to utilize in his "on the run" mode AKA storyline. Not having any equipment you can utilize feels like it destroys half of the value of varied equipment/customizations/skills etc.

Agreed.

Contracts is pretty neat, but that's going to get old pretty fast.

If you haven't done this yet: When you go into the menu, hit the filter settings for "most popular" and leave everything else wide open and start tooling through some of those. There's some awfully nifty and difficult ones up already.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of support IO throws at this game in general and at Contracts because I see a slew of crazy potential there.

then it could be you're just in the wrong place. you can't claim to be critical if you have zero motivation to consider anyone else's arguments to the contrary. reducing valid points and examples to "commentary" says that you're just here to promote your own pov, so who's whining now?

It's a different game, get over it. Bounties and notoriety were just as binary, all it did was change the scale at the beginning of the mission and keep it constant throughout, much like an extra "difficulty" modifier (and all the redundancy that implies). 47 is on the run in this game and the game occurs over a shorter time period. Furthermore he isn't officially backed and there's no way for him to get something dropped in by the Agency that is chasing and trying to kill him. If you want an optional "re-do" mode where you can go through missions with whatever weapons you want, fine, but it has nothing to do with what this game is all about.

I agree that the disguise system and instinct system need some tweaking, but I like the concept and it's a much more realistic turn in the series than "hey, look at this 6ft+ bald white guy running around an Indian resort and no one notices because he just swivels back and forth around corners" nonsense of previous games.

flat out wrong, not even a matter of opinion. since the notoriety system was a cumulative variable over the course of your entire playthrough, and not only that, but also triggered by much more than a simple line of sight, modified along the way with payoffs or a change in tactics. there were no guys instantly recognising you from 100 feet away unless you were careless throughout the entire game. various modifiers like how long you remained in their line of sight, distance from this line of sight, proximity to the npc, your current notoriety, not binary at all and much more complex than you make it out to be. nobodys claiming it perfect, the point here is it contributed to a coherent set of mechanics that make it arguably better, not just more enjoyable.

the part that's left up to opinion here is how immersive these mechanics are, how effective are they at making you feel like a hitman? is it enough just that you just have someone with a name to kill? this to me was also a complete failure. the idea that someone like 47 would just charge into places with zero prior knowledge of the environment makes no sense to me, story be damned. he's a fugitive with no intel support, we get it. that doesn't mean he would just throw out everything he's ever learned about survival. people don't like staring at minimaps, that's a valid goal for improvement I guess, but this did not result in anything more engaging. showing me npcs through walls, and their patrol patterns in the immediate area does not contribute to your overall strategy, all it does is show you what you can do right now.

I loathe the entire premise of the instinct system tbh. I just find it absurd, the idea that he posesses a single skill, like some sort of mind control that makes those around him less perceptive depending on a finite pool of what? mana? charge? why is he less adept at this skill, in even tougher situations for higher difficulties? completely nonsensical to me, called me biased or whatever, I just hate it. but you don't write it off as a disregard for anything new, that makes less sense than anything else here. competent gamers capable of critical thinking and strategy do not cling to old mechanics, what they crave are novel approaches to the same obstacles. that's the one thing that couldn't be changed right? 47 has someone specific to kill, and a bunch of people in his way. problem is that devs considered this to be enough to slap the same name on a new game, it's not enough for me.

then it could be you're just in the wrong place. you can't claim to be critical if you have zero motivation to consider anyone else's arguments to the contrary. reducing valid points and examples to "commentary" says that you're just here to promote your own pov, so who's whining now?

flat out wrong, not even a matter of opinion. since the notoriety system was a cumulative variable over the course of your entire playthrough, and not only that, but also triggered by much more than a simple line of sight, modified along the way with payoffs or a change in tactics. there were no guys instantly recognising you from 100 feet away unless you were careless throughout the entire game. various modifiers like how long you remained in their line of sight, distance from this line of sight, proximity to the npc, your current notoriety, not binary at all and much more complex than you make it out to be. nobodys claiming it perfect, the point here is it contributed to a coherent set of mechanics that make it arguably better, not just more enjoyable.

the part that's left up to opinion here is how immersive these mechanics are, how effective are they at making you feel like a hitman? is it enough just that you just have someone with a name to kill? this to me was also a complete failure. the idea that someone like 47 would just charge into places with zero prior knowledge of the environment makes no sense to me, story be damned. he's a fugitive with no intel support, we get it. that doesn't mean he would just throw out everything he's ever learned about survival. people don't like staring at minimaps, that's a valid goal for improvement I guess, but this did not result in anything more engaging. showing me npcs through walls, and their patrol patterns in the immediate area does not contribute to your overall strategy, all it does is show you what you can do right now.

I loathe the entire premise of the instinct system tbh. I just find it absurd, the idea that he posesses a single skill, like some sort of mind control that makes those around him less perceptive depending on a finite pool of what? mana? charge? why is he less adept at this skill, in even tougher situations for higher difficulties? completely nonsensical to me, called me biased or whatever, I just hate it. but you don't write it off as a disregard for anything new, that makes less sense than anything else here. competent gamers capable of critical thinking and strategy do not cling to old mechanics, what they crave are novel approaches to the same obstacles. that's the one thing that couldn't be changed right? 47 has someone specific to kill, and a bunch of people in his way. problem is that devs considered this to be enough to slap the same name on a new game, it's not enough for me.

You, me, my place. 9PM. Bring Barry White.

Seriously though, this is how most of us feel here. It's an alright game, but needs one big patch to fix its flaws. Granted, other things could be fixed too...but that would involve creating a game from scratch, which isn't feasible heh.

Seriously though, this is how most of us feel here. It's an alright game, but needs one big patch to fix its flaws. Granted, other things could be fixed too...but that would involve creating a game from scratch, which isn't feasible heh.

Kickstarter. ;)

Back