PSA: Seagate Enterprise Capacity 5TB, ~$165

myren

Limp Gawd
Offers come and go w/r/t who is selling, but these drives have been selling from one vendor or another for 160-170 for a couple months now. This isn't a specific deal, it's just a notice that these things are available on a variety of channels for really cheap, considering the reliable, ridiculously performant drive you're getting. As of January 2015, they were $400 drives.
http://+++++++++++++++.com/Seagate-...T5000NM0024/product/B00JGJ8Z2Q?context=browse

Compared to the mid-tier HGST 6TB/$249 NAS HotDeal, these things are way cheaper $/GB, better performing by a fat-ass-gigantic margin (although both drives are enterprise not desktop/gaming focused), and- back your shit up but- they come with a 5 year (vs 3 yr HGST prosumer deskstar nas) warranty.

As far as hard drive value go, this is the sweetest spot in the market right now, by a wide range. No particular "deals" have crossed my path, but since a significant price shift in July, these have become the drive that I compare against all other offers. (And your hot deals are all found wanting in compare, pardon!!! :p)

Last edited:
It's never been a secret that Seagate has the best deals. But you get what you pay for. And your link is broken btw.

I did a search for the drive to see it's specs. I don't know if it's the same one, but I found many of those with a low price tried to hide that they were out of mfr warranty even if they don't say refurbished.

At that price, I was previously considering the Toshiba 5TB drives, but they aren't enterprise drives.

Man, that's a good deal. I generally stay away from Seagate, but since they're enterprise I may take the chance.

*edit*
It's pretty clearly an Amazon link. Don't know why [H] would block that.

No thanks
After reading the many negative reviews, I wouldn't touch one of those drives ..and most if not all of those are not under warranty .

No thanks
After reading the many negative reviews, I wouldn't touch one of those drives ..and most if not all of those are not under warranty .

How do you know they don't have warranty?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JGJ8Z2Q/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Is this the drive he's talking about?

One of them is fulfilled by Amazon and says it has the OEM 5 year warranty. 172$... but you have to pay taxes.

I don't see any 165 fulfilled by Amazon, but there is a 165 with free shipping.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How do you know they don't have warranty?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JGJ8Z2Q/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Is this the drive he's talking about?

One of them is fulfilled by Amazon and says it has the OEM 5 year warranty. 172$... but you have to pay taxes.

I don't see any 165 fulfilled by Amazon, but there is a 165 with free shipping.
Read the reviews, even though they are stating it has warranty, people have been denied do to it being an OEM drive

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I inquired about one of those drives awhile back from an Amazon Seller. Drive had a one year warranty through the Vendor. No other warranties apply. Even though these are much more reliable and faster drives than the consumer ones, No sale for me.

I inquired about one of those drives awhile back from an Amazon Seller. Drive had a one year warranty through the Vendor. No other warranties apply. Even though these are much more reliable and faster drives than the consumer ones, No sale for me.

Same here.

Unless it's sold/shipped by Amazon, I'm good. (Which is $7 more)

They generally don't have a warranty as Seagate doesn't directly warranty these. They will tell you to go to who ever sold it to you, and I'm doubting these people/companies selling these have any kind of warranty service/agreement set up.

The key to remember is that it is labeled Enterprise Capacity but that does not mean it is an enterprise class drive. Great marketing for the unaware.

site was camel camel camel dot com, which i tried to link because it shows price history (no affiliate deals/affiliation for me to disclose here).

The key to remember is that it is labeled Enterprise Capacity but that does not mean it is an enterprise class drive. Great marketing for the unaware.

here's the 6TB model barely getting beaten by it's 10k sibling, and knocking the hell out of WD's enterprise drives, the Re4/Se. the 5tb will almost certainly be a platter down though from the 6tb, which will be somewhat of a hit for raw throughput figures.
http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_enterprise_capacity_6tb_35_hdd_review_v4

there does seem to be a big issue with getting non-OEM, full warrantied editions. that's a huge pain. very mild deal, given how hard it'll be to get the warranty, and the seller problems.

& i guess i have to read the link policy again. sorry about the link readers, sorry about the link kyle. i sure like linking things that show price over time though. i was also seeing some great deals on froogle last week, but it's normalized there to the ~$172 price.

Last edited:
Back