PSA - Repeating a "field" in Word

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
Good evening.

I've spent 2 days figuring this thing out, figured I would go ahead and share it seem as though it started out as a trivial task when I dreamed it up a couple days ago, and had such a hard time finding a solution that did not involve macros, that uses modern controls and such in Word 2013.

We are putting together a document that could be run without macros that simply would repeat the same "Content Control" throughout the document (plain text, date picker or Repeating Section Content Control for instance).

The idea is you state the company name at the top, and it fills in all of the places in a 20 page 9pt document that the company needs to be named; or whatever field you want, no limitations to 15 fields like the document properties method.

So it turns out to be a simple XML task- my first experience with that! And it is super clever- this updates all fields no matter which one you change. So you change the company name at the end of the doc, and it updates all of them all the way to the first field.

I balked at this solution at first because it required another app to be installed and I was having a hard time at 2am comprehending it.

But- I revisited it today, and it's super-easy.

Check it out:

http://www.sharepointjohn.com/using...-fields-in-microsoft-word-2007-and-word-2010/

The software is really easy.

Anyway- if you are looking at using modern Content Controls in Word 2013- this is a really good solution.

Back