PSA: Prefinished hardwood floors and wifi

Prefinished hardwood floors are coated with aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide paints are being tested for RF blocking so if any of you are having trouble with wifi between floors, this is likely your culprit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8279549.stm

My AP is on the first floor and I couldn't get my builtin Wifi on my HTPCs to work decently. I added an AP on the 2nd floor and that fixed it... but I wondered why I needed to. I have hardwood everywhere in my house.

Prefinished hardwood floors are coated with aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide paints are being tested for RF blocking so if any of you are having trouble with wifi between floors, this is likely your culprit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8279549.stm

My AP is on the first floor and I couldn't get my builtin Wifi on my HTPCs to work decently. I added an AP on the 2nd floor and that fixed it... but I wondered why I needed to. I have hardwood everywhere in my house.

Wow, so many terrible ideas in this article. :rolleyes:

The makers say that for businesses it's a quick and cheap way of preventing access to sensitive data from unauthorised users. Presently, most companies have to invest in complicated encryption software to deter hackers.

"Our current mobile phones work at much lower frequencies, around 1.5 gigahertz. But, our material can also absorb frequencies that low, so you could block phone signals from outside and stop people's phones ringing during the movie,"

Lol. GSM uses roughly 800 - 900 MHz and 1800-1900 MHz. (Very rough range but nowhere close to 1500)

lol "Complicated encryption" Like, WPA/WPA2? What every single wireless network SHOULD be using no matter what? lol

I can see using physical blocking techniques like shielding as a second layer of security but not as security on it's own.

Shitty security or no, it was enough to cause wireless connection issues in my situation. My desktop wireless would connect but not actually transfer data. My portable devices would stall streaming video. But go down the stairs on the 1st floor with the AP and it was awesome. Go into the basement below another layer of hardwood floor and it was worse since the UniFi's radiate upwards.

Last edited:
The aluminum oxide layer is so thin as to be a non-issue. It's the Iron/steel you need to worry about. In buildings with steel frames or rebar, we've always had reduced performance with wireless, whether it's cellular phones or WiFi.

If you really want to block signals, line inside your walls with metallic substrate for insulation(Faraday cage).

Last edited:
The aluminum oxide layer is so thin as to be a non-issue. It's the Iron/steel you need to worry about. In buildings with steel frames or rebar, we've always had reduced performance with wireless, whether it's cellular phones or WiFi.

If you really want to block signals, line inside your walls with metallic substrate for insulation(Faraday cage).

Interesting, my house is built with aluminum siding. This stuff is pretty thick and yet it really does not seem to block my wifi much at all when I am in my yard. Note I have a little over 1 acre and can get signal in most parts of my yard. The AP is in the center of the house on the 2nd floor (which would help with signal).

Also note my Al siding if from the mid 70s so I am sure it has oxided a good bit ;).

Seems to take quite a bit to block a signal. Technically a microwave oven should be a decent faraday cage but you can get full bars even inside.

Seems to take quite a bit to block a signal. Technically a microwave oven should be a decent faraday cage but you can get full bars even inside.

Well, that's a relief. If someone ever tries to kill me with a microwave, I'll be able to call for help!

Wireless does not like to go up/down either. The signal is flat, so unless you angle the antennae to be parallel to the floor, you will get crappy signal on anything but the same floor.

Back