PSA: Newegg shutting down GC rolling

M

mls1995

Not sure if this is the right place or not. But FYI to all, Newegg has changed their website to block gift card rolling. I had 4 x $5 promo gift cards I wanted to convert to "real" gift cards and I had difficulty doing so. Newegg.com and m.newegg.com both prohibit you from entering in gift cards when buying a gift card. This a change from just a few days ago.

I did find a loophole. When checking out via the Newegg mobile app today, I was able to add gift cards to checkout when buying a new gift card. The site did force me to enter in a credit card but I was not charged and the entire cost of the new gift card was paid via existing gift cards.

So those slickdeals threads with newegg gc rolling (1 deal was active over the weekend) appear to be a thing of the past unless they fail to fix the mobile app loophole. My advice is that if you are sitting on those lousy promo gift cards now is the time to convert them to a real gift card. My order from this morning is in packaging thankfully.

What you call giftcard rolling is actually money laundering and is a federal offense under the Patriot Act

What you call giftcard rolling is actually money laundering and is a federal offense under the Patriot Act

I don't think so, both represent company credit and not cash.

But I'm seriously surprised that Newegg ever allowed this, pretty much every store disallows this it's very easy to abuse.

How is it easy to abuse? You have a promo card.. which can be used to buy things.. and you want to buy a normal card... which allows you to buy things..

So? Issue? I feel like I am missing something.

Doesn't the promo card come with restrictions? I mean like limited time usage and possibly can not be used with any other offer.

I added 2 promo gift cards totaling $50 that i was sitting on for months towards the purchase of my new video card just last week. No issues.

Doesn't the promo card come with restrictions? I mean like limited time usage ...

I know in California, giftcards don't expire, by law they aren't allowed to. I have GC that are 4-5 years old and they should still work fine.

So is it the case that people in other states that do have to worry about their gift cards expiring just keep rolling them into new ones?

Every time someone gives me a Gamestop gift card for christmas, first thing I do is take it into a store and buy a Steam gift card with it. They (Gamestop employees) always tell me I cant do it and then are always surprised when it works.

I know in California, giftcards don't expire, by law they aren't allowed to. I have GC that are 4-5 years old and they should still work fine.

So is it the case that people in other states that do have to worry about their gift cards expiring just keep rolling them into new ones?

promo code is different from a gift card. Thats why they don't fall under gift card laws. Thats also why newegg dishes those out over actual gift cards. Which is also why neweegg never allowed you to convert them so if it was possible it was a site coding over look.

Also who ever said it was money laundering...-_-

Every time someone gives me a Gamestop gift card for christmas, first thing I do is take it into a store and buy a Steam gift card with it. They (Gamestop employees) always tell me I cant do it and then are always surprised when it works.

that is 100% legal and allowed. I use BB promos on Amex to buy Steam GC and I use gift cards bought with my Amex card for BB to buy Steam gift cards so i can get 6% cash back :D

Both are legal and allowed. Well getting 6% cash back on grocery stores and buying gift cards is an Amex over cite but hey I'll abuse it.

Using BB gift cards to get other gift cards are allowed because actual gift cards by law are treated as cash. (for the most part)

Back