PSA: Measure Twice - Order Once

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So I was just sent over this picture of a system build with an RTX 3080. Looks like it is causing some builders some issues, and that case is far from small (look at the size of the mainboard behind it). Hell, even if it could slip in there with that fan removed, how the hell is going to get any circulation across those cooling fins.

MEASURE TWICE GUYS!!!!!!! Make sure you got your ducks in line before dropping your hard earned cache.

zzzzzSIZZE.png

Last edited:
So I was just sent over this picture of a system build with an RTX 3080. Looks like it is causing some builders some issues, and that case is far from small (look at the size of the mainboard behind it). Hell, even if it could slip in there with that fan removed, how the hell is going to get any circulation across those cooling fins.

MEASURE TWICE GUYS!!!!!!! Make sure you got your ducks in line before dropping your hard earned cache.
Looks like it'd barely fit with that front fan removed...massive. o_o

Edit: even more impressive, the PCB extends the whole length...

Looks like it'd barely fit with that front fan removed...massive. o_o

Edit: even more impressive, the PCB extends the whole length...
Looks like he broke off the pcie socket or card slot lol. WTH?

Thanks for the reminder, I remember seeing that some of the top end 3080 AIB cards are longer than the FE 3090 which will barely fit in my case.

Thanks for the reminder, I remember seeing that some of the top end 3080 AIB cards are longer than the FE 3090 which will barely fit in my case.
Yeah, some of the numbers I have seen on AIB 3080 cards have been crazy big.

Thinking I'll probably get a 2560/2570 if such a thing comes out, or AMD if it's at all competetive. Surely the same card without RT will be smaller?

I double checked posted dimensions for MSI, Asus and Zotac, it looks like all of the 3x 8 pin cards are longer than the 315mm that will fit my case with front fans installed. The Zotac 2x 8 pin is even too long by 2mm.

Guess I'm paying the price for going with a Fractal Meshify C, it's a good case though so no regrets.

I recently grabbed a new case, thankfully with some options. It'll take a 350mm GPU w/ front fans installed. I've got a 27mm radiator up front, and two additional fans on the front of that. Leaves me at 298mm of clearance without any changes, and if need be I can pull off the lower fan which nets me 323mm. I haven't seen anything longer than that, so should be able to squeak in. I'm hoping for a FE 3080 though, which means i'll have plenty of room.

Wow, that thing is like, impractically big. Just imagine how big a 3090 is likely to be.

Edit: This makes me miss CaseLabs even more. They're the heroes we need now, if not the heroes we deserve.

I'll be 0 surprised if people have to buy new cases or have heat issues from really tight builds.

1080ti ftw3 hybrid already had this issue in my Define / Meshify C with a front aio.
That gpu was 11" or 288.8mm long plus whatever the tank width and that build ended up in my old R5 case.

I've had a feeling that optimal cooling case assumptions were going to be upset based on 30x0 FE lengths.

Reactions: Halon
like this
Edit: This makes me miss CaseLabs even more. They're the heroes we need now, if not the heroes we deserve.

Seriously! I’m so happy I ordered a BH8 before they closed shop. The horizontal motherboard negates my concerns about weight, and there is plenty of room! Wish I had ordered a second to save for a rainy day...

Yeah, some of the numbers I have seen on AIB 3080 cards have been crazy big.

Is there a good single resource out there to find the size of various cards, or are you just going by manufacturer's info?

Gaming X Trio is a beast. I'm pretty sure this ones actually a bit shorter than the 2080 version.

I don't think that would fit in my Air 740 either.
My 1080ti FTW3 with the Power Link barely clears the fans.
IMG_3207.JPG

Reactions: c3k
like this
Is there a good single resource out there to find the size of various cards, or are you just going by manufacturer's info?
No single resource I know of. This is more of a "guys talk you hear things," sort of moment. I would just make SURE of measurements before ordering. Don't make any assumptions on size, just because you think your case is big enough.

Well, maybe a return of the old HAF cases will work for this...good thing mine is the HAF 932 Advanced :) Would fit in there with the drive cages :p I would have to redo my water loop though as the reservoir fits pointed up snug against the rear of my 2070 super...maybe a side mounted res or switch it to an outer style (in true OG HAF fashion). Wonder if the founders edition will be shorter.

Glad I bought a Corsair 800D ten years ago... It's served me well through numerous upgrades. It will easily handle a 3090 without breaking a sweat. (Dimensions are 24"x9"x24")

I'm really glad I upgraded my case.

That looks like the perfect size for my currently empty space...

Looks like he broke off the pcie socket or card slot lol. WTH?
Look at the bracket on the left side the card is recessed forward enough that its not likely in the socket, that said its definitely resting more precariously than I would put a brand new high demand GPU.

Looks like the 3090 will fit in my Fractal Design Mini C. One hell of an mATX case, fits very nicely into my home theater.

Oof. That card might be a problem for my Lian Li TU150 ITX case. I hope that the third party PCB solutions can be shorter than this.

Still using my HAF X (been looking for a worthy replacement recently though), hah. Would hope that would fit any card, but I will def make sure before I order one.

Here is the current list.

Card lengths and thickness (per manufacturers):

• Founders Edition: 285mm/2 Slot
  • EVGA XC3: 285mm/2.2 Slot (45.1mm)
  • EVGA FTW3: 300mm/2.75 Slot (55.55mm)
  • Zotac Trinity: 318mm/2.75 slot (58mm)
  • MSI Ventus: 305mm/2.75 slot (57mm)
  • MSI Gaming Trio: 323mm/2.75 slot (56mm)
  • MSI Gaming X Trio: 323mm/2.75 slot (56mm)
  • ASUS TUF: 300mm/2.5 slot (51.8mm)
  • ASUS ROG Strix: 318.5mm/2.75 Slot (57.8mm)
  • PNY XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan (PPB): 294mm/56mm
  • PNY XLR8 Gaming EPIC-X RGB Triple Fan (MPB): 294mm/56mm
Card lengths based on scaled images from promotional material (obviously not 100% accurate):

• Zotac Trinity Holo: ~318mm
  • Zotac AMP Extreme: ~325mm
  • Gigabyte Windforce: ~313mm
  • Gigabyte Eagle: ~322mm
Hope that helps anyone else in the same situation as me.

EDIT 1: ASUS has confirmed the length of their TUF and ROG Strix series.

EDIT 2: Added thickness as well.

EDIT 3: Added PNY.

It looks like I could fit most cards if I went with a 15mm thick front fan, but I will limit myself to a 3080 FE or Asus TUF model I think. Who knows what will be in stock though.

Thankful for my P3 case.
I have a Core P5, and it actually is possible to have problems with the size of graphics cards if you use it the way they intended with a tube reservoir between the motherboard and radiator space.

FrgMstr - thanks for this info.
Your picture in the OP is sobering.
You are welcome. I am not trying to throw shade at the 3080 which looks to be incredibly impressive. Just wanted you guys to be aware of AIB card sizes and to make sure and give that a look before you pull the trigger. I have a water cooled 2080 TI FE in my own system. I am going to wait and see what Navi 21 is all about before I make any decisions. I figure with Black Friday not far away, it will likely be better to at least wait till then no matter what I upgrade to.

Back