PSA: Get Ready for the Steam sales

zero2dash

Supreme [H]ardness
Just a friendly [strike=]reminder[/s] warning.....

I know many of you are hardcore Steam fans as I am, and when stuff goes on sale for dirt cheap it's practically impossible to say 'no' no matter how large or small your backlog is.

Here come the Steam holiday sales. Surely there will be some starting today or tomorrow, and then the shitload either Thursday or Friday and all weekend. Then it will be quiet again for a few weeks....until the Christmas sales that run for the whole week through New Years Eve.

My bank account is already stocking up on bandaids and xanax because most likely it will never be ready for the shitstorm that is coming. :D

I just spent 700 bucks on my car, I don't think I will be getting much this year. :eek:

I just spent 700 bucks on my car, I don't think I will be getting much this year. :eek:

lol, loose change bro!!!

steam sales are that good

i still remember picking up Bioshock for $5 during the Steam sales a while back, i think Christmas 2008?

get at least $20, and i'm sure you can buy a couple things with that.

keeping an eye out for Force Unleashed 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent...hope to see it around $9.99 or less :)

I just spent $3500 on mine... but it's paid off now =D Also just half way lost my job... but I think I got enough saved up for some holiday sales.

Wasn't the big sale after Christmas last year?

Yeah, the huge "potentially overdraft your account" sales are Christmas through NYE :D but IIRC they did do some sales the week of Thanksgiving last year...I just don't remember if they started early or were BF+weekend on.

I know many of you are hardcore Steam fans as I am, and when stuff goes on sale for dirt cheap it's practically impossible to say 'no' no matter how large or small your backlog is.

My Steam acct's 372 games, I've played ~36 of 'em...

My D2D acct's 47games, I've played three of 'em (none through my D2D licenses, though...)

Yet, for some reason, Sniper @ $14.99 is still tempting...

The only thing that holds me back is knowing that it is by far the shittiest game that came out this year... Yet, I still consider it...

(Never mind the fact that it obviously will be $14.99 or less during a holiday sale soon enough anyway...)

But Gametap has hundreds of games for my subscription cost of $60/yr ($5/m), including Sniper anyway... So why oh why this Steam addiction?

Yeah, the huge "potentially overdraft your account" sales are Christmas through NYE :D but IIRC they did do some sales the week of Thanksgiving last year...I just don't remember if they started early or were BF+weekend on.

My records show I was still buying games on Jan 7th, so last year's sale as two weeks long...

Thanksgiving I bought games on BF thru CM, so four days there...

I feel Steam had daily deals from Thursday through Monday during thanksgiving or something? Anyone remember when it started? Just need to know when I need to not open steam and block it from my browser!:D I still haven't started KoTOR which i got a year ago for $2!

Yeah, I'm itching to get Sniper:GW as well.....but I keep telling myself odds are it's going to be cheaper than $14.99 in the next 6 or so weeks. ;) Wowsers on your BL btw...mine's around 130 games, and like 20 played? :eek: :D

I have 66 games in my steam that I havent even touched yet. I do plan on buying some more ONLY if the games are priced well. Im not going to buy crappy games just because they were cheap like I did before. I wouldnt mind seeing Metro 2033, Black ops or something newer on the list.

Last edited:
I'm going to show some self-restraint this year. Or at least try to.

I just spent $3500 on mine... but it's paid off now =D Also just half way lost my job... but I think I got enough saved up for some holiday sales.

Ouch! Mine wasn't out of necessity though...for a new sound system, so I've spent most of my "joy" money. :cool: ill still end up buying a few games that ill manage to play couple years from now (backlog).

God damn it .. I don't need more steam games I have so many I have to play.

(Transfers over money from savings) ..*whistle*.

I'm definitely looking forward to some great Steam sales! It's rare when I buy any games that aren't through Steam anymore. Hoping COD: BO is sold at a huge discount, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sniper is tempting at $15 (more so at $10) if they fixed most of the issues from launch.

Not sure what else, but i plan on buying 4 or 5 games if the price is right.

Hoping COD: BO is sold at a huge discount, but I'm not holding my breath.

Only chance I see of that at all is if they do some COD game pack. But since everyone itching for BO so soon after release almost undoubtedly has some to all of the other games, the pack's practically a worthless value to most interested customers.

I've only ever played COD1, but I still have managed to get COD4:MW1 and WaW on Steam, so even if it's $100 to also get Warchest (1,UO,2), MW2 and BO, at $100 it isn't really much of a savings.

To be honest, you have a better chance of finding a bargain at D2D, for whatever reason.

Hoping for:

STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Fallout 3 GotY(I haven't played or really seen any gameplay of this yet.)
Dragon Age: Origins

I think I can stop here considering my ABSURD backlog.

Fallout 3 GotY(I haven't played or really seen any gameplay of this yet.)
I expect FO3 GOTY will go on sale for $15-20 and New Vegas for $30. I believe I paid $20 for the former last time it went on sale.

New Vegas for $30. I believe I paid $20 for the former last time it went on sale.

FYI, New Vegas is on stale on D2D for $29 w/ promo code LOAD15. They let you download the installer and/or just give you a Steam key to register with (as pointed out in the FO:NV thread.)

The only things I would pick up would be:

iD complete pack
Dragon Age Ultimate
Modern Warfare 2
CoD Warchest
Napoleon Total War + DLC

Even at that, these would have to be insanely cheap. Steam has created the problem where we are only buying PC games that are insanely cheap. I am very close to the point of owning every game that I am remotely interested in.

New Vegas has been very tempting, but I don't think I will buy it until the GotY edition or whatever comes out next year. Pretty much a given with anything remotely RPG these days.

Last edited:
Man call me boring but I'm keeping my eye out for Cities XL 2011 lol :eek:

Maybe Civ V will be on sale too...definitely going to pick that up if it ends up being so.

I currently have 108 Steam games, but I'm sure a few more won't hurt me!

Ouch! Mine wasn't out of necessity though...for a new sound system, so I've spent most of my "joy" money. :cool: ill still end up buying a few games that ill manage to play couple years from now (backlog).

Well the 3500 was to pay it off for good. :D Now mine needs a stereo and speakers...

Unless I'm mistaken this thread has been posted way way way too early. The Steam Christmas sale doesn't happen until, you know, Christmas time. Today or tomorrow? WTF? The Americans haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving yet?

i did a little googling and it looks like last years t-day sale started on t-day itself and ran for 5 days. then there was the xmas sale, which was baller.

I mean, yeah, why would anybody buy something from Steam now when all you have to do is wait until the 26'th of December?

I mean, yeah, why would anybody buy something from Steam now when all you have to do is wait until the 26'th of December?

Don't assume the December sale is definitely going to also be a re-hash of the November deals. It wasn't necessarily last year.

There were some games for $2 last November.

You also run the risk of them running out of keys if you wait 'til Dec.

Besides, most people have a four-day weekend. Perfect time to buy and play some games?

Impulse has a sale on Call of Pripyat for 10 Dollars, for that price you also get Shadows of Chernobyl.

uh oh.

My wallet is going to take a beating. I'm hoping for a L4D2 4 pack sale.

Hey I'm the last person here who's going to complain about a sale. I'm one of the biggest whores here. But that is part of the problem. I already got everything.

Back