PSA: Exchange 2013 CU1 finally dropped

Nate7311

2[H]4U
Exchange Team Blog Announcement

Cumlative Update 1 adds a metric ton of bug fixes as well as debuting coexistance with Exchange 2010 SP3 and Exchange 2007 SP3U10.

We'll have to see if it adds enough, or I will be down transitioning back to Exchange 2010.

I just deployed exchange 2013 can't say I like it more then 2010. Sure as hell hate owa much more, ugly interface.

Agreed. The inbuilt Activesync device segregation and better compliance and legal hold is nifty, but the web GUI is clunsy as hell, and half-baked.

I was actually impressed with the Activesync. I was surprised they dropped Hub Transport and edge servers. Still kinda on the fence about not having a perimeter Web interface. Web gui is pretty nasty. then again MS has been pushing powershell pretty hard as well.

I think the web interface will just force folks to become PowerShell ninjas. I did a fresh install on my home lab and installed the mailbox role first. I could only manage Exchange with PowerShell until I installed the CAS role.

I think the web interface will just force folks to become PowerShell ninjas. I did a fresh install on my home lab and installed the mailbox role first. I could only manage Exchange with PowerShell until I installed the CAS role.

I think 2010 had a good compromise. But I feel that powershell everything is a bit annoying, we are devolving to Novell and Unix days. Most things in power shell will never be used unless your on huge networks and need to do fancy shmancy stuff. I can just imaging the mess it will be on 0365 offsite hosting but more administration.

I think 2010 had a good compromise. But I feel that powershell everything is a bit annoying, we are devolving to Novell and Unix days. Most things in power shell will never be used unless your on huge networks and need to do fancy shmancy stuff. I can just imaging the mess it will be on 0365 offsite hosting but more administration.

QFT. I realize that MS has to build in toys for the huge and most secure environments, but to expect everyone to be a Powershell Ninja smacks of MS trying to expand their marketbase be creating yet another supporting role category.

You know the ironic things is that the core of Exchange is from exchange 5.5 still runs on the old Jet Engine rather then SQL. Some one did ask MS why not make exchange run on sql they said it would be to much work.

And yet I'll still upgrade my home system to this. Damn compulsive need to run the latest and "greatest", well at least latest.

I was hoping the "minimum memory requirements" were going to be quite conservative for Ex2013... they were not.

We just upgraded to 2010 last year so I don't see us going to this anytime soon. I like powershell but some things take longer using it, i.e. simple tasks that could be accomplished with the emc. Powershell is great when you have repetitive tasks or need to do a batch job.

I was hoping the "minimum memory requirements" were going to be quite conservative for Ex2013... they were not.

Base memory requirements are very high. But Exchange 2013 scales well once you have enough memory and the I/O requirement are way lower.

Memory is generally cheap compared to purchasing fast I/O.

Very true. Additional RAM is cheaper, and I'm sure MS has been watching the trends. I was most concerned with the lack of functionality and bugs in the RTM. Such as adding Full- access to a secondary mailbox breaks MAPI send from Outlook for the user's primary, or some HTML formatted emails being fubared upon reciept. Thankfully, it looks like CU1 fixed those, but it just adds fuel to the public as beta-tester fire.

Very true. Additional RAM is cheaper, and I'm sure MS has been watching the trends. I was most concerned with the lack of functionality and bugs in the RTM. Such as adding Full- access to a secondary mailbox breaks MAPI send from Outlook for the user's primary, or some HTML formatted emails being fubared upon reciept. Thankfully, it looks like CU1 fixed those, but it just adds fuel to the public as beta-tester fire.

This is really sad because exchange 2010 was pretty damned solid even at RTM. 2013 is more like a beta. All the newest releases from MS, including 8, 2012, exchange 2013 have a lot of bugs that shouldn't have been considering they were built on 7/2008r2 cores. Its like they got rid of their testing teams.

The Outlook Apps idea is interesting, wtb FedEx/UPS/General Tracking app, and yeah I felt like the whole server 2012/exchange 2013 thing was quite rushed, the fact it took them over 6 months before you could integrate into existing installations was a real wtf.

The Outlook Apps idea is interesting, wtb FedEx/UPS/General Tracking app, and yeah I felt like the whole server 2012/exchange 2013 thing was quite rushed, the fact it took them over 6 months before you could integrate into existing installations was a real wtf.

Welcome to the new microsoft. We don't test out shit anymore because we have a monopoly.

Back