PSA: electric scooter rental can get you a DUI...

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
Thought this may have been one of the main reasons to rent one of these... you know, so you're not driving your car?

not sure if this is tech news? more of a public service anouncement. but the only way to rent one is through their app, so kinda tech related....

Why would you think you couldn't get a DUI on a scooter? Rule of thumb...if you're driving something with wheels on the roadway you are fair game. You can get a DUI on a bicycle in some states. I've seen DUI's on lawn mowers.

You might be thinking that if your license is DUI suspended, in some states you can still drive a scooter.

Of course it can get you DUI, and it freaking should. What does being electric has to do with it? You are joining the traffic, you need to be sober enough to drive regardless of the vehicle.

In other news I agree this is not tech news, should be in genmay.

Sounds good to me.

I don't really agree with DUIs on bikes though unless they raise the blood/alcohol percentage cap for it considerably along with public intoxication. Now that I think about it, same with scooters I guess since your can go about the same speed as a bike on it. There's definitely a difference in risk to others while on a bike/scooter compared to a 2+ ton vehicle and the leeway should correspond to that.

Sounds good to me.

I don't really agree with DUIs on bikes though unless they raise the blood/alcohol percentage cap for it considerably along with public intoxication. Now that I think about it, same with scooters I guess since your can go about the same speed as a bike on it. There's definitely a difference in risk to others while on a bike/scooter compared to a 2+ ton vehicle and the leeway should correspond to that.
No, no, no, just no. There should be no leeway at all. What If the scooter cuts off a 2 ton vehicle causing it to swerve into oncoming traffic? Or a 40ton truck? Have you thought about that? Also, have you been hit by a scooter at 25mph? You don't think that can cause damage?

No, no, no, just no. There should be no leeway at all. What If the scooter cuts off a 2 ton vehicle causing it to swerve into oncoming traffic? Or a 40ton truck? Have you thought about that? Also, have you been hit by a scooter at 25mph? You don't think that can cause damage?

Even if they hit the person on the scooter who is drunk. A lot of people would have a hard time living with the fact that they killed somebody if the drunk died in a crash.

Reactions: M76
like this
Why would you think you couldn't get a DUI on a scooter? Rule of thumb...if you're driving something with wheels on the roadway you are fair game. You can get a DUI on a bicycle in some states. I've seen DUI's on lawn mowers.

You might be thinking that if your license is DUI suspended, in some states you can still drive a scooter.

Of course it can get you DUI, and it freaking should. What does being electric has to do with it? You are joining the traffic, you need to be sober enough to drive regardless of the vehicle.

In other news I agree this is not tech news, should be in genmay.

these aren't gas scooters that you drive on road. they are electric ones that you ride on sidewalk. you rent them on smartphone in big cities. like these...

bird-single_750xx2965-3963-0-381.jpg

these aren't gas scooters that you drive on road. they are electric ones that you ride on sidewalk. you rent them on smartphone in big cities. like these...
Oh, those ones, that people throw into rivers as a joke. 5mph is walking speed, these can do at least 15mph. And the millennial type who use these I'd not trust to drive sober, let alone after having a few.

Last edited:
so ... when do you suppose WWI's (Walking While Intoxicated) will kick in? I mean, first it's cars, then bicycles then electric skateboards what's left except walking? Can they arrest you for riding a segway in Public while intoxicated? Definitely would be time better spent trying to protect OUR SCHOOLS, don't you think?

Last edited:
Its hard to take DUI seriously anymore when its become a money making scheme for most legal jurisdictions. Much like traffic tickets.

This. Alot of towns and cities rely on this source of income

It's called "public drunkenness" already and is a crime. What's so hard about drinking responsibly? Why the push to make it "no big deal?"

dude a drunk in public is a ticket. a DUI is a f'n LIFE CHANGER. do you have any idea what a dui entails? OMG i don't wish that on my worst enemy... well maybe, but still.

Its hard to take DUI seriously anymore when its become a money making scheme for most legal jurisdictions. Much like traffic tickets.

if you get one you'll damn sure be taking it seriously. i can guarantee that. and mine was years ago. things have only gotten worse, way worse, from what i've heard.

dude a drunk in public is a ticket. a DUI is a f'n LIFE CHANGER. do you have any idea what a dui entails? OMG i don't wish that on my worst enemy... well maybe, but still.

Actually I know exactly what it entails. Come back to this thread when you've picked up dead bodies from crash scenes caused by drunk driving and had to tell parents their children are dead.

The solution is simple...don't fucking drink and then drive. Completely preventable. Absolutely zero sympathy for those charged with DUI.

Last edited:
It's a vehicle, therefore you can get a DUI. Doesn't matter if it's a car, a bicycle, or a scooter, you should not be operating ANYTHING when you are drunk. Period. You can still cause accidents, you can still hurt yourself and others, and you can still kill people. If you are drunk either get a sober driver or call a fucking cab. If anything, penalties for drinking and driving are too soft.

For what it's worth, the penalties vary by state. In SC, the penalties are pretty significant. I know of several attorneys that specializes just in this practice as a result. It's worth paying $3,500-$7,500 to defend yourself here.

Not excusing the behavior, just saying the penalty for it vary.

Actually I know exactly what it entails. Come back to this thread when you've picked up dead bodies from crash scenes caused by drunk driving and had to tell parents their children are dead.

The solution is simple...don't fucking drink and then drive. Completely preventable. Absolutely zero sympathy for those charged with DUI.

Indeed and yet we have people who get stopped, jailed, car towed, life ruined and 6 months later we find out the blood tests are negative on any intoxicating substance or at most a sleeping pill that was so minute its obvious it was taken 24+ hours earlier. All because the cops thought they were driving erratically. Its become a money making scam regardless of the horrors of car crashes. Arresting drunks sleeping it off in their car, sometimes even when the keys are on the backseat floor or worse in cold weather with the car running to keep the heat going does not solve the problem of drunk driving. Continuously lowering the legal limit and arresting people for one drink at dinner just turns everyone into teetotalers. Then the government cries about not making enough in booze sales taxes and in DUI fees.

Your appeal to emotion, "i've seen dead people" argument falls flat when there are countless examples of law enforcement covering for their own and government in general while using the full force of the law on the citizenry. Where a tail light stop leads to a DUI arrest that leads to dropped charges but you know, they were just enforcing the law. Sometimes and they'll be there when you really need them. Maybe.

Whatever. You can whine all you want about the cops, but until you've seen dead people and seen the look on a parents face when they hear their child is dead you're just some internet clown hiding behind their screen. That's something that sticks with you more than your "cops are revenue generators bullshit."

Cops don't make laws. If you don't like the laws, talk to your legislators.

Back at ya. You act as if no one has ever gotten a phone call that their loved one is dead.

Back at ya. You act as if no one has ever gotten a phone call that their loved one is dead.

That's not the same thing. There is a fundamental difference between a phone call and a telling a grieving mother at the hospital that they should wait until the undertaker cleans up a body before seeing her dead son killed by a drunk in a horrific crash. A crash that was completely preventable. Once again. No sympathy for the guy in his car just letting it run to keep warm. He knows the rules and deserves a DUI.

Last edited:
Indeed and yet we have people who get stopped, jailed, car towed, life ruined and 6 months later we find out the blood tests are negative on any intoxicating substance or at most a sleeping pill that was so minute its obvious it was taken 24+ hours earlier. All because the cops thought they were driving erratically. Its become a money making scam regardless of the horrors of car crashes. Arresting drunks sleeping it off in their car, sometimes even when the keys are on the backseat floor or worse in cold weather with the car running to keep the heat going does not solve the problem of drunk driving. Continuously lowering the legal limit and arresting people for one drink at dinner just turns everyone into teetotalers. Then the government cries about not making enough in booze sales taxes and in DUI fees.

Your appeal to emotion, "i've seen dead people" argument falls flat when there are countless examples of law enforcement covering for their own and government in general while using the full force of the law on the citizenry. Where a tail light stop leads to a DUI arrest that leads to dropped charges but you know, they were just enforcing the law. Sometimes and they'll be there when you really need them. Maybe.

And the amount of times its a false positive are what under a percent of the total number? Also, at this point it is very welly known that you can't just sleep it off in your car. Its not like its a surprise. There is no guarantee that the person claiming to be sleeping it off in their car isn't going to get up and decide to drive off, especially if their vehicle is running. If you're going to be dumb enough to get drunk, make sure you have a way to get your drunk ass home that doesn't require the risk of a DUI. Either that or learn what moderation is.

That could (and does) all just as easily happen to a sober rider. But again, I'm not saying no limit, just a higher limit for a bit more tolerance on scooters and/or bikes because no matter how you spin it it's less dangerous than driving a car drunk. Also, as pointed out, these scooters usually top out at 10-15 MPH or as fast as most people can sprint.

Last edited:
That's not the same thing. There is a fundamental difference between a phone call and a telling a grieving mother at the hospital that they should wait until the undertaker cleans up a body before seeing her dead son killed by a drunk in a horrific crash. A crash that was completely preventable. Once again. No sympathy for the guy in his car just letting it run to keep warm. He knows the rules and deserves a DUI.

Except that he wasn't driving and you're providing a what if scenario that didn't happen anyway. Even if the car is off and the keys are not reachable by the sleeping drunk they'll still arrest. Its a non crime. No one was hurt.

And the amount of times its a false positive are what under a percent of the total number?

Innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent? How many innocent should go to jail? Freedom means sacrifices. This DUI/DWI crusade has become worse than the disease, worse than the constitutional ban on booze 100 years ago.

Whatever. You can whine all you want about the cops, but until you've seen dead people and seen the look on a parents face when they hear their child is dead you're just some internet clown hiding behind their screen. That's something that sticks with you more than your "cops are revenue generators bullshit."

Cops don't make laws. If you don't like the laws, talk to your legislators.

dude we're talking about e-scooters and the people that are using them to KEEP from getting BEHIND THE WHEEL.

they prob only go maybe 5 mph

When you start off with "prob" you know yer starting off on the wrong foot when it comes to validity. Those birds and limes do over 10mph and people get them up to 15mpg easily downhill. You can get a DUI riding a bike too.

Yes, you drive impaired you should get the punishment.
The same goes for any powered vehicle.

Bikes, I'm a little iffy on, yes if on a road, yes if on a sidewalk near a road, no if on a trail , but that tends to fall under park service things, and could be a felony anyway.

I learned very recently that you can get a DUI on anything that is "powered." This includes bicycles, kayaks, and paddleboards, which in my experiences hits a maximum of about 8 mph. Basically, if you're moving around with the assistance of something else, you can get a DUI.

I think it's fair. Crashing into someone at 10 mph, while generally not fatal, can still send someone to the hospital with broken bones. If you're too drunk to drive yourself home, you shouldn't be operating any vehicle to get yourself home.

I learned very recently that you can get a DUI on anything that is "powered." This includes bicycles, kayaks, and paddleboards, which in my experiences hits a maximum of about 8 mph. Basically, if you're moving around with the assistance of something else, you can get a DUI.

That would be "Driving". It's not operating an internal combustion vehicle while intoxicated. People give the word meaning other than what the meaning of the word is.
Like the 2nd Amendment. It doesn't give you the right to own a gun. It doesn't say gun anywhere. Arms means guns in current times, but in 200 years it could mean directed energy weapons....and the 2nd Amendment would still apply.

You are controlling something, and you're control is impaired.

I think it's fair. Crashing into someone at 10 mph, while generally not fatal, can still send someone to the hospital with broken bones. If you're too drunk to drive yourself home, you shouldn't be operating any vehicle to get yourself home.

at .08 / 1 drink most people aren't TOO DRUNK to do anything and don't deserve to have their life ruined over it. you aren't going to mame anyone on a d@mn skateboard.

but to whatever sjw's that keeps reporting my comments and trying to censor my speech and trying to get me banned. well you all can have this. i'm with kyle. i'm out. this place keeps getting {s}ofter by the day.

oh yeah, and F**K Cops. every one of you that's in this thread. reporting people. just to let you know i'm a member of DAMM that's "drunk's against madd mothers" go ahead and report that too. i don't need this account. I'm [H] regardless. :spitoutdummy:

One overwhelming trait of people who participate on this board which I enjoy is that people demand personal responsibility.

The law is what it is. Some may not like it, but until changed - it's there, and is enforced.

An individual can make choices accordingly, and accept responsibility for those choices.

at .08 / 1 drink most people aren't TOO DRUNK to do anything and don't deserve to have their life ruined over it. you aren't going to mame anyone on a d@mn skateboard.

but to whatever sjw's that keeps reporting my comments and trying to censor my speech and trying to get me banned. well you all can have this. i'm with kyle. i'm out. this place keeps getting {s}ofter by the day.

No one's life is "ruined" on a first offense. If you get more than that, then you deserve what you get.

Also skateboards CAN STILL CAUSE ACCIDENTS AND KILL PEOPLE. You just want free reign to get drunk off your ass and not accept any responsibility for your actions. It doesn't work that way.

No one's life is "ruined" on a first offense. If you get more than that, then you deserve what you get.

Also skateboards CAN STILL CAUSE ACCIDENTS AND KILL PEOPLE. You just want free reign to get drunk off your ass and not accept any responsibility for your actions. It doesn't work that way.

you obviously haven't got a dui in the last 20 yrs. do you need me to explain? ok:

-automatic 5 days in jail (missed work and with one phone call you may not be able to contact work)
- bail to get out of jail (~$1000-INFINITY)
- $5000 for a lawyer
- suspended drivers license for a year automatic possibly more
- 30 days in jail after sentencing (may be allowed to do on weekends)
- $1000-$5000 fine
- $1000 DUI court cost
- ASAP (alchohol safety action program) once a month for 6-18 months and you are not allowed to drive there with your restricted license (if you get one) and have to pay a fee ($30) and submit a urine which gets tested for a ($20) fee
- all the time you miss from work (~$X000's)
- losing your job, especially if you need to drive OR WORK ON A BASE
- ignition interlok (breathalizer) installed in vehicle for 12 months $400 for installation $100/month calibration and then another $400 to get it removed FOR EACH VEHICLE YOU OWN. ( a lot of people have to sell or give away vehicles because of this)
- ETC, ETC, ETC

I will try and update as i remember more of the sh*t that a dui entails. but for all you sjw's that think that renting a scooter to ride down the boardwalk to keep from DRIVING A CAR DRUNK deserves all this then, SHAME ON YOU. YOU AIN'T [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back